Talk

Advanced search

to think its completely unacceptable for kids to throw stones at smaller kids in the playground?

(11 Posts)
MistyMountainHop Fri 02-Sep-11 17:31:18

am hopping mad

second day back at school (year one) and i found out someone threw a stone at DS, it hit him in the head causing quite a nasty cut, it looks like it bled quite a lot too, his white shirt had a lot of blood on it. and he has got a bump. it had to be cleaned up and they put an ice pack on it.

i just couldnt believe the nonchalant way the teacher told me as well, when i picked him up she simply said, oh misty ds had an accident earlier" me: what happened? teacher: oh he's fine, it was just that he was hit by a stone in the playground. me: erm, PARDON ????? angry

anyway, it transpires that some kid threw a stone at him, he doesn't know who it was, just that it was one of the older kids. the teacher doesn't know much about it and has promised to "speak to the lunchtime staff on monday" hmm

aibu to think its a bit more bloody serious than that?? why the hell was the kid who did it not pulled up and disciplined?? what kind of school is it where they pass off stone throwing where a year one kid is hit in the head?? maybe i am over reacting, i dunno, i just can't believe it. sad

lifechanger Fri 02-Sep-11 17:35:50

It is an extremely serious offence an you could email the head or call her/him on Monday to ensure it's being treated as such.

happyinherts Fri 02-Sep-11 17:36:38

Accident or not - it is completely unreasonable for any child to be throwing stones in playground at all for this reason.

Where were the supervising staff at the time? This should not have gone unnoticed and definitely the child involved should be spoken to and disciplined in some way. I wouldn't be happy either. Hope your son is recovering well, by the way. Stone throwing is very dangerous. Glasses can be broken, glass in eye, concussion, child could fall and injure himself more on playground. It's unneccesary. I'm sure there are other things to amuse children with in playground. Needs to be nipped in bud now.

youarekidding Fri 02-Sep-11 17:38:43

Stone throwing is wrong, might have been an accident - as in someone had picked up a stone threw it as oppossed to deliberatly at your DS but they still need to be spoken too.

By biggest complaint would be that he had a bump and blood loss to the head and they didn't call you - totally unacceptable IMO. They should have called you and seen what you wanted to do (home, GP, minor injuries etc)

ragged Fri 02-Sep-11 17:41:08

Before going on the warpath, I think you need to establish more facts about how this happened; maybe your son or one of his mates started it (etc.)

They should have taken it more seriously if he bled that much, though, from experience I reckon that I would have had a phone call before going home time.

Mishy1234 Fri 02-Sep-11 17:42:50

YANBU. I also agree with youarekidding that you should have been contacted. Completely unacceptable that it was left until you collected him.

I would be writing to the head to make a formal complaint as to how it was handled and how they will stop similar incidents in the future.

Hope your DS is ok and his head recovers quickly.

tortilla Fri 02-Sep-11 17:42:58

It is completely unreasonable to let it go unpunished. Throwing anything is one of the few things that I will really shout at my DS for as it is so dangerous. I can only assume that the bumbling by the teacher might be because no adult actually witnessed the incident and as your DS can't identify the culprit then they can't really do anything, or perhaps she hasn't yet been told the details of what had happened, or perhaps they are still trying to handle the situation and she can't say anything? If they really aren't dealing with it seriously then that is an issue you really need to raise with the head. If they can't identify the culprit then at the very least there should be a group lecture on the dangers of stone throwing or something along those lines.

Hope your DS is okay and not too hurt/distressed.

rebl Fri 02-Sep-11 17:45:48

I would have expected a phone call.

As for the throwing incident, I would be livid if I didn't think that the child who threw the stone had been disciplined. TBH the staff know who the stone throwers, hitters, etc are and I would expect them to keep a closer eye on them but there are probably only 2 or 3 adults on a playground of over 100 children and they can't watch every child all of the time so an incident can go unobserved but I would expect them to investigate something like you describe and find out what, who, where, when.

slavetofilofax Fri 02-Sep-11 17:46:38

No child should be throwing stones in the playground, whether the other children are bigger or smaller makes no difference.

I think teachers become slightly immune to this sort of thing, it's probably not that she doesn't care or thinks stone throwing is ok, but she was probably elsewhere having lunch when it happened so doesn't know the details.

She was probably just presented with a child with a plaster on his head and told he had been hit by a stone. It was really up to the lunchtime staff to deal with the thrower, either by telling them off or reffering it to their own teacher.

MistyMountainHop Fri 02-Sep-11 17:47:42

biggest complaint would be that he had a bump and blood loss to the head and they didn't call you - totally unacceptable IMO. They should have called you and seen what you wanted to do (home, GP, minor injuries etc)

do you know what, i didn't even consider that until i told DH, and he said the same. there's no excuse for not calling me, they have all my up to date contact details. i will definitely be mentioning that as well.

FigsAndWine Fri 02-Sep-11 18:45:06

YANBU at all. The school should have rung you, and they should be right on the case in finding out who threw it, and punishing the child responsible. Even if it was an accident, throwing stones at all is not ok in a playground.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now