Talk

Advanced search

To have started preparing for winter already?

(53 Posts)
AngryFeet Fri 02-Sep-11 16:26:00

It is a lovely sunny day where I am but this morning I sorted through all our coats, wellies etc to make sure they all fit and then went shopping for gloves, hats, scarves and a snow shovel. The winter tyres will be put back on mid October and we will stock up on grit soon too.

I refuse to get caught out again this year!

Anyone else doing this or am I completely off my trolley? grin

SpamMarie Fri 02-Sep-11 16:29:33

I've been hoarding firewood and newspaper for our log burner since May, so no, I do not think YABU.

We also bought our snow shovel a couple of weeks ago. After last year's fiasco of a winter, I do not blame you!

nocake Fri 02-Sep-11 16:29:53

I don't think that's unreasonable given that our heating has decided it's winter and came on yesterday morning. It was a lovely surprise to get out of the shower to find a warm towel on the radiator grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 02-Sep-11 16:32:44

We have firewood and our chimney swept and I am insisting that this weeks lawn mowing and hedge trimming will be the last of the year.

ViviPru Fri 02-Sep-11 16:33:00

I've been telling Mr ViviPru to buy the winter tyres since June. Typical procrastinator he'll be queuing up at Kwik Fit to pay 3 times as much with all the other useless articles on day 2 of the white-out in December. YANBU

startail Fri 02-Sep-11 16:35:20

No DH has just got new radiator bits, so they can be fixed before we need the heating.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 02-Sep-11 16:36:38

I made soup yesterday so it must be getting a bit autumnal

Lulumama Fri 02-Sep-11 16:38:21

no am doing the same as the snow chains are half the price they were in the middle of the snow last year and you couldn't get them anyway !

AngryFeet Fri 02-Sep-11 16:38:30

Good point re the radiators, one of ours is leaking. I am going to buy the kids sledges soon too as theirs are broken and they sell out so fast. Got to get my winter coat soon too.

Lulumama Fri 02-Sep-11 16:38:47

i'm also stocking up on pasta/tinned food

AMumInScotland Fri 02-Sep-11 16:43:50

We're starting to plan out works Christmas lunch and think about Christmas and New Year cover!

BastardDog Fri 02-Sep-11 16:45:31

Must remind dh to get on with the extra loft insulation he has been promising to lay since last winter.

mummymccar Fri 02-Sep-11 16:47:25

Nope been looking at coats already and bought new wellies. You never know what is going to happen and I hate being caught out!

Lulumama Fri 02-Sep-11 16:48:22

I bought a coat in the sales, got snow grips for our shoes and sorted out hats and coats for everyone. I also have wellies. might get autosocks instead of snow chains...watch it be a totally mild winter now !

MrsDBouquetVAMOSRAFA Fri 02-Sep-11 16:48:27

No. YANBU.

Have already started sorting and making list after list of things I want/need to get.

I am determined to make sure that we have all we need, and to hopefully (never been done in the past) be sorted for christmas by the end of November, with only small bits needing getting.

I can only try.

I expect I will be posting on here at some point in early to mid December, raging about something I have forgotten.

Euphemia Fri 02-Sep-11 16:58:40

I've paid my deposit for the work's Christmas night out.

The heating is back on the timer in the mornings.

Last night, I was so cold when I went to bed that I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd woken up to snow this morning.

Fluter Fri 02-Sep-11 18:14:58

Discussed Christmas cake making with best friend yesterday smile

Disclaimers: BF makes about 100 for charity every year so has to start early, and we were discussing a trip for the bulk buying of ingredients, and the fact that she's offered to make one for me this year because my mixer has gone kaput, is in the workshop being fixed, and I'm having twins in the next six weeks.

Heating not on yet - not before end of October. If it really gets cold before then, a fire is lit, an extra jumper put on, and it's an excuse for a hot cuppa!

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 02-Sep-11 18:17:40

It depends where you live I suppose. Winter tyres in mid-October. I imagine you live quite far north.

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 02-Sep-11 18:25:34

I've made sure boys have coats, hat, gloves etc. as last year I went in October and lots of places were sold out. It does annoy me that you have to buy everything months in advance.

Also I'm a teacher and won't have time to go shopping before half term.

The "C" thing can wait, I refuse to give that brain-time until December.

shouldbeelswhere Fri 02-Sep-11 18:27:06

funny that I was only just thinking of Christmas puddings. Stocked up with so much wood can't get in shed. All DS new vests bought and labelled.

FigsAndWine Fri 02-Sep-11 18:31:30

<<wishes that I was even as remotely organised as you lot>>

blush

SuePurblybilt Fri 02-Sep-11 18:32:36

I am hoarding dry kindling and will be getting a sack of grit.

Fontsnob Fri 02-Sep-11 19:01:27

I've never prepared for winter! Nowhere near that organised. Our house is usually just a mass of where's my hat/gloves/wellies once we realise that it's cold.

littlemisssarcastic Fri 02-Sep-11 19:03:03

Are snow chains easy to put on and take off yourself or do you need a professional to fit and remove them?

littlemisssarcastic Fri 02-Sep-11 19:03:32

Oh, posted too soon blush and do snowchains need to be fitted to winter tyres?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now