Talk

Advanced search

to ask this woman to put her dog on a lead?

(23 Posts)
clueless1 Fri 02-Sep-11 14:41:33

at the park, me and 3 children were all sitting having a picnic. a woman cycles into the park with her 2 dogs in a basket on the front she gets off the bike and takes her dogs out the basket and puts them down turns are starts to chain up the bike. dog 1 runs over to us and starts sniffing about. the kids ignored the dog and she notcied and called it over. then dog 2 comes over and cocks it leg agains ds3's bike. i shoo it away before it does anything but then it goes and does a shit about a meter from where we are sitting. she comes over picks up the shit and walks back to the bike. dog 1 is back, trying to get into the food. again i shoo away. she calls the dog, dog ignore her. she calls 4 more times then comes to get the dog. i am trying to get the dog off the blanket but trying not to let the kids get excited buy the dog. she puts the dog on a lead. then dog 2 is back. again with her calling the dog and the dog ignoring her then the dog licks the top of one of the juice bottles.
i shouted her over and said can you get your dogs under control please? she says, ''im trying cant you see that??'' i said, well obviously its not working, try something else. she replys ''i only have 1 lead what would you like me to do.'' i say, take your dogs home or away from other people when you cant keep them under control.
she comes over and gets the dog and says to me, ''there is no need to loose your temper with my dog''. i said my temper was fine and it was her that was in the wrong, not her dog. and that if she was in teh park and they were not listening to her commands they needed to be on a lead. then she replys with, ''well do you put your kids on a lead in the park incase they annoy someone??''

now i am a dog owner. i am lucky my kids are not afraid of dogs. BUT if they had of been these 2 non aggressive but bloody annoying dogs would have scared teh crap out of them.

so was i U for wanting her to put them on a lead? or was she for thinking that her dogs should be loved by all?

KaFayOLay Fri 02-Sep-11 14:44:49

As a dog owner myself, YANBU.

I know for a fact if there was food about all three of my dogs would find the temptation too great. For that reason, they would be kept on the lead until it was safe to let them off.

scrambedeggs Fri 02-Sep-11 14:45:39

no, i always put mine on a lead if we are passing kids

once though one did want to be friends with a couple of older kids on a blanket (they didnt have food) and I had to scream, dont pat her, she has rolled in fox poo! LOL

worraliberty Fri 02-Sep-11 14:46:47

YANBU but I'm sure you know that

DooinMeCleanin Fri 02-Sep-11 14:49:06

It depends on the park. Our park has a dogs on leash area and an off leash area. If you were in an off leash section of a park that has dog free areas then YABU to think you'd be able to peacefully enjoy a picnic, but the woman was also BU for only having one lead and for not properly training her dogs in the first place.

If the whole pak is open to all then YANBU.

fanjobanjowanjo Fri 02-Sep-11 15:00:19

YANBU

Solola Fri 02-Sep-11 15:10:51

YANBU

catwalker Fri 02-Sep-11 15:11:50

Of course you're not being unreasonable. Why on earth would she take 2 dogs out with 1 lead anyway? I'm sitting here thinking how much my dogs would like to go down to the river to cool off. I'm not going to take them though because it's a hot afternoon, still school holidays and I'd have to keep them on their leads as people will be out having picnics and NOBODY wants a dog sticking its nose into food bags or running around small children.

If mine do go over to people having a picnic (and the smell of food seems to affect the dogs' hearing) I charge after them, haul them away and apologise profusely for their behaviour.

DoMeDon Fri 02-Sep-11 15:11:50

YAB a bit U - she was trying and failing - she made a mistake. If you have dogs I don't see why you didn't take the offending dog back to her and away from your picnic. Getting into the row was pointless.

Also if it's a lead off park, you might get bothered by dogs. There are few DC free spaces I can find!

SDTGisAnEvilGenius Fri 02-Sep-11 15:17:16

You are being utterly reasonable - and she was a stupid moo for taking only one lead to the park for two dogs - what the heck was she thinking!!

As a side issue - scrambledeggs - what is it with dogs and fox poo? Our lab loooooves it - especially rubbed behind the ears, apparently. It makes her boyfriend (another chocolate lab) ever so excited too - he tries to bonk the wrong end of her when she's wearing fox poo - not that it does him any good - Coco has been done and is a total innocent, so has no idea at all what he's up to, and he's been neutered anyway - it is a total exercise in futility, even if he were bonking the right end (which he can't, as she tends to sit down as soon as he tries anything).

catwalker Fri 02-Sep-11 15:23:15

SDTG - it amazes me the way mine puts her ear down first into the fox poo like she's dabbing on perfume, then does a sort of slide until she's on her back writhing in ecstasy. She's black so you can't see exactly where it is. Still, better fox poo than dead animal which she's also fond of rolling in....

SDTGisAnEvilGenius Fri 02-Sep-11 15:26:10

Yes - just like Coco! Dh says that four paws waving madly in the air is the fox poo alert!

Pinot Fri 02-Sep-11 15:30:57

Meh.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 02-Sep-11 15:33:43

We've had the dog-shit-on-the-picnic thread, didn't we? How odd? confused

BeerTricksPotter Fri 02-Sep-11 15:43:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pinot Fri 02-Sep-11 15:44:19

<arf>

<changes channel>

FigsAndWine Fri 02-Sep-11 18:49:57

Ah that's what we need.... a good ole Friday night dog thread to kick everything off! grin

<<slinks off to actually read OP and rest of thread....>>

FigsAndWine Fri 02-Sep-11 18:56:17

Ok, have read thread.

Yanbu in that the woman should have just scooped up both dogs if they were interfering with your picnic. I would have apologised profusely if my hoover of a dog had done so.

"no, i always put mine on a lead if we are passing kids" makes me shock though. What every time?? How bizarre. confused

grin at the fox poo humping story.

BeerTricksPotter Fri 02-Sep-11 18:58:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ephiny Fri 02-Sep-11 19:02:03

I don't worry about kids generally, but always put mine on the lead if there's food around!

GotArt Fri 02-Sep-11 19:11:51

YANBU... we've had two picnics ruined this summer by dogs not under control.

FigsAndWine Fri 02-Sep-11 21:40:47

BeerTricksPotter said
"Tch, Figs, how annoyingly balanced of you wink "

I know - I was hoping to be able to post some inflammatory, 'fuck-you-and-the-fucking-dog-hating-horse-you-rode-in-on' comment, but instead I've just said
'Ooh well you're not being unreasonable but I do think that possibly you are sometimes an ickle bit unreasonable. Do you think? Sometimes? A bit? Cos dogs are lovely an' all..'

SilverSky Fri 02-Sep-11 21:47:44

YANBU!

It pisses me right orf when people stand yelling at their dog when basically nothing is going to get that mutt to recall. Bloody come and fetch it!!!

Also I wouldn't try and remove another person's dog. It could bite. I know it sounds over dramatic but it's true.

The dog owner should have had two leads really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now