Talk

Advanced search

To bloody HATE trendy bars/clubs?

(23 Posts)
AngryFeet Fri 02-Sep-11 09:23:35

My best and oldest friend is having a birthday do on Sat (mid 30's). It is the first she has had since before having kids 6 years ago so I really wanted to go and she would be disappointed if I didn't. It is a big group of her friends, several of which I know meeting at hers for drinks then going to town to a very trendy bar/club. I am a pub type of girl and always have been. I did my bit in my youth of clubbing etc and I am more than done with it. I am happy to dress up but I hate standing around all night in uncomfortable heels, trying to chat over loud music, queuing for 30 mins to get a drink and being surrounded by teenagers. Yuk! The only way I can get through it is to get drunk but that is unlikely with the long wait for drinks. But most importantly - I NEED TO BLOODY SIT DOWN!!

<Sigh>

Anyway of course I will be going and will try to enjoy myself <plasters on happy face in preparation>

P.S. I may sound like a misery guts but to be fair I have a bad back and it starts to ache after standing for more than 30 mins sad

MissPenteuth Fri 02-Sep-11 09:43:38

Don't bars and clubs (even trendy ones) tend to have tables and chairs somewhere? I'm having to search the furthest recesses of my memory for this information btw grin, so could be mistaken, but that's always been my experience.

In fact, sometimes clubs will let you reserve a table/area if you're a biggish group and will be spending a fair amount on drinks. Could be worth checking?

YouDoTheMath Fri 02-Sep-11 10:00:53

I'm similar to you - prefer the pub and can't STAND having uncomfortable feet as you just can't take your mind off them.

However, it's your best and oldest friend's birthday, so she's pretty significant, and you're doing it for her.

As a compromise, you could put in an appearance for a couple of hours, then make your excuses.

Also take some flats for the walk there/back (when I forget mine I just walk barefoot to the station after - the alcohol numbs the pain!)

If you get there early enough you'll find a seat I'm sure. Has she reserved a section of the club?

JosieRosie Fri 02-Sep-11 10:07:53

I'm exactly the same OP, down to the dodgy back and need to sit down grin If she is a good mate, then nail a big smile on your face for a couple of hours and make your excuses early. You're being a very good friend to her! I feel your pain though wink

fluffles Fri 02-Sep-11 10:12:18

yes - phone the place and reserve her a table as your special present to her grin

ArseyContarsie Fri 02-Sep-11 10:15:22

you don't sound like a misery guts to me

i hate 'trendy' bars, not only do you get achey feet but knocked into by other customers, you can't hold a social conversation with a group like you can around a table and there is never anywhere to put your drink.

if you're with a group of mainly smokers you have to either spend the evening following them in and out or stand in the middle of an empty space hoping you don't look like a complete norma-no-mates

you can't play proper pub games, like flipping piles of beer mats off your elbow into your hand, breaking match sticks with beer mats, flipping the beer mat onto the top of a pint glass...

give me a proper pub any day

but then again i am very old

wobblyweeble82 Fri 02-Sep-11 10:16:36

YANBU. Of course you're not. But you're going to have to grin and bear it. And heck, its often the way that the nights out we are dreading are the ones that we tend to have the most fun on. Wear comfy shoes though. And get a little bit trollied.

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Fri 02-Sep-11 10:19:27

I must be an old misery guts too. Not only the whole standing thing but I can't hear a word anyone says for the music blasting round me.

So. in short you are paying a bloody fortune for not so nice wine whilst standing in heels and not able to hear what anyone says.

I'd rather stay in drinking my own wine and eating nice nibbles.

porcamiseria Fri 02-Sep-11 10:27:03

this is why god invented cocaine

ArseyContarsie Fri 02-Sep-11 10:30:36

i hope you're joking porcamiseria

if not, fuck right off. i have 1st handedly seen the fucking mess that cocaine makes of a person

AngryFeet Fri 02-Sep-11 10:34:09

Can't reserve a table - none left sad Might just go and get some smart flats today, I am not one for wearing heels so I suffer when I do. Can't go early as she lives far from me and I am staying with her. So have to battle it out to the bitter end wink. Booze is my only saviour. Oh god and I will be expected to dance too, I hate dancing <miserable old gimmer emoticon>

I am rubbish at drugs porcamiseria. I always fall asleep or get alchohol poisoning when I attempt to do them (this was a long time ago!)

AngryFeet Fri 02-Sep-11 10:35:34

I was presuming it was a joke arsey. Actually several of the people attending tomorrow are/were coke users (my friend used to be and I am guessing some of her raving friends still do it).

ArseyContarsie Fri 02-Sep-11 10:37:49

apols to you AngryFeet, it's coming up to a very important anniversary for my family, coke is not funny to us

have a good night smile

JosieRosie Fri 02-Sep-11 10:47:55

OP, you do not have to dance, my love!

My love for my friends has some boundaries you know. I can cope with drinking warm wine, having sore feet and having to scream into people's ears to be heard above the din (just about). Dancing is a step too far, much too far wink This is important <holds both of OP's hands in hers and looks at her meaningfully>

LindsayWagner Fri 02-Sep-11 11:01:40

Take one of those shooting-stick things to lean yer arse on.
Maybe go whole hog, take slippers too?

I hate standing too.

LindsayWagner Fri 02-Sep-11 11:02:31

Or one of those inflatable armchairs <into stride face>
Or a hammock?

AngryFeet Fri 02-Sep-11 11:14:23

I have a lovely camping chair - proper comfy one. Do you reckon the bouncers will mind?

AngryFeet Fri 02-Sep-11 11:15:13

What if everyone dances? I can only dance when off my trolley and then I start doing the Footloose dance around the room which is upsetting for all concerned.

porcamiseria Fri 02-Sep-11 11:17:16

sorry arsie, it was a semi joke......... but clearly not funny to you

Pendeen Fri 02-Sep-11 11:27:45

YANBU. I hate clubs or trendy (read loud and crowded) pubs.

All of the above comments ring true for me plus one other - everyone seems so tall these days.

I'm a shortearse and have to wear heels to look anything like reasonable but even then I always seem to be surrounded by amazons and their OHs. so invariably can't see beyond a mass of shoulders or boobs.

adamschic Fri 02-Sep-11 11:28:41

Surely you can put up with it as a one off. Once the drink (hope I'm not offending anyone here) kicks in it's amazing how much you can party with the best of them. I'm much older than you and dread the nights on the tiles invites but once I'm there it's like being back in time.

I am single though so that might make it more interesting.

PeanutGallery Fri 02-Sep-11 11:31:38

YANBU

Can't stand clubs where the music is so loud you can't talk, the bar queue is 3 people deep, and there is nowhere to sit down. Oddly these places always seem to have entry fees too confused.

I do love dancing though, so that sometimes makes up for the rest, but only if they happen to be playing exactly the right kind of music...

addressbook Fri 02-Sep-11 11:37:42

so wear comfortable shoes, get a pissed before you go and make your excuses after a couple of hours. Why women have to wear high heeled shoes if they don't want to is beyond me.

I am beyond the age where I have to follow social conventions

old cynic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now