Advanced search

Another locks related question

(45 Posts)
LessonsinL Thu 01-Sep-11 20:51:10

Moving into new place this week. The front door doesn't have a security chain or deadbolt, and as such, I'd like to put a lock on the main study (holding most of the important expensive items!).

The landlord is un-contactable (utterly, doesn't respond to phone calls, we deal with another tenant in the house who gets our rent to him).

Would I be unreasonable to replace the keyless mortice lock that is already fitted in the door? I don't want to put a padlock on it as that will involve drilling holes into the doorframe.

DorisIsAPinkDragon Thu 01-Sep-11 21:03:23

I think you need to seriously rethink.

If you can't get hold of the landlord now what happens if you have real problems??????

Do you have any legally binding contract with you landlord or is the flat/ room being sublet?

have you already paid?

If you really feel it's all above board hmm then go via the other tennent and ask him/her what he says they obviously have better access.

MadamDeathstare Thu 01-Sep-11 21:05:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DorisIsAPinkDragon Thu 01-Sep-11 21:08:12


LessonsinL Thu 01-Sep-11 21:09:00

Ladies.. step away from the spurious information...

And focus on the lock problem wink

To fit or not to fit?

Sandalwood Thu 01-Sep-11 21:16:55

I'm not sure you can change locks without landlords permission.

MadamDeathstare Thu 01-Sep-11 21:24:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadamDeathstare Thu 01-Sep-11 21:25:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LessonsinL Thu 01-Sep-11 21:28:00

It's only for an internal door, not the main door to the building.

That sounds like a good plan, MadamDeathStare smile I'll drop him a voicemail with this information then go buy the lock grin

scottishmummy Thu 01-Sep-11 21:29:50

no,you need to notify LL of any physical changes to property
make written request in leter when you make next rent payment
its not your property to be gun ho and change locks

scottishmummy Thu 01-Sep-11 21:32:20

and no dont follow any daft ultimatum advice given either
maintain good communication, letter in with rent payment dt,make request
any im doing this by x date is confrontational and provocative

LessonsinL Thu 01-Sep-11 21:33:34

ScottishMummy, the landlord has not responded to any efforts I have made so far (numerous voicemails) on other issues.

I also do not have his residential address, or e-mail.

As far as I see it, if he's going to be so uncontactable.. this is what happens.

scottishmummy Thu 01-Sep-11 21:37:33

can you put a letter in with your rent payment.
its not your property cant be so gun ho about it. you need a dialogue or acknowledgement.this might come back and bite you in deposit or goodwill terms
so what paperwork contact address do you have for him?

LessonsinL Thu 01-Sep-11 21:57:42

A letter in with rent payment?

I pay via bank transfer.

As previously stated, I have no contact address for him smile

nocake Thu 01-Sep-11 21:58:31

If you aren't damaging anything then you can change the locks or add a new lock without telling the landlord. However, he is still entitled to access the property with the appropriate notice so if he's coming round you need to make sure he can access the locked room.

If you do damage the door while changing the lock you either need to fix it before you move out or the landlord can take the cost from your deposit. Obviously, if you have his permission to fit a new lock that requires holes to be cut in the door he can't charge you for damaging the door although he can expect it to be done properly and neatly.

LessonsinL Thu 01-Sep-11 21:59:31

Thank you, Nocake smile

scottishmummy Thu 01-Sep-11 22:09:52

no,get consent. dont just pile in
get an acknowledgement what you want to do
you need to protect yourself too, no comeback or exaggerated claims of damage

if you do proceed tale picture of door frame to show no damage etc

LineRunner Thu 01-Sep-11 22:18:51

Unclear about the rent business. You give it the other tenant and pay by bank transfer?

scottishmummy Thu 01-Sep-11 22:23:48

yes thats whwt i meant by letter if you pay rent via other tenant cant you put letter in

this is as much to protect you,from loss of deposit or loss goodwill. that why you need agreement prior to changing a lock

when you looked at flat and pre-signing how did he communicate with you?
i do appreciate you said he doesn't answer

gallicgirl Thu 01-Sep-11 22:27:34

Does your tenancy agreement have an address where you can serve notice? You can always treat that as the official address and send notification that way.

emsyj Thu 01-Sep-11 22:31:39

Of course it is better to get permission (and yes, you should do so really) but he is clearly not very minded to extensively supervise your occupation of the property, so how likely is it that he will care if you fit a lock?

I have a rental property and I tend to take the view that I will never live there again, so it's up to the tenant if she wants to do things to make it more convenient/comfortable for her. As long as she doesn't damage the value of the house I am a bit <shrugs> really.

scottishmummy Thu 01-Sep-11 22:32:47

if a solicitor or estate agent dealt with leting,write to that address
notify of intention

LessonsinL Thu 01-Sep-11 22:36:17

It was all done through the other tenant, I transfer the money to him, he transfers it on ( with bills etc) to the landlord. Rented room through him too.

Emsyj, that is my view at the moment :D

FabbyChic Thu 01-Sep-11 22:39:14

By not paying the landlord direct your payments are not protected, you cannot prove you have paid any rent because you pay a third party.

Your set up is ridiculous and affords you no protection at all.

emsyj Thu 01-Sep-11 22:42:33

Does the landlord actually know you are living there??

(Sorry, I know this is off the strict topic of lock-fitting, but I just wonder...)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: