Talk

Advanced search

to think that 9am is a RIDICULOUS time for a memorial service?

(13 Posts)
IAmNeverUnreasonable Thu 01-Sep-11 16:03:22

My old head teacher died during the school summer holidays.
The funeral itself was held outside the UK.
So for those who want to honour the teacher in question (who was well loved and like for a 15 year reign) the school is holding a memorial service on the second day of term at 9AM!
If you don't live nearby, how the Feck Are you supposed to get there by then?
AIBU?

RandomMess Thu 01-Sep-11 16:05:12

I guess go the day before and stay over confused

Pedallleur Thu 01-Sep-11 16:06:28

Go the day before or get up earlier

MrsPresley Thu 01-Sep-11 16:08:59

I imagine that it's at 9am so that the pupils attending the school can take part, have mid morning break then resume lessons as normal.

It's not the schools fault that some people will have moved away from the area.

Not all times would suit everyone anyway.

slightlyunbalanced Thu 01-Sep-11 16:09:43

It will be to fit in with the school timetable which are planned months/years in advance grin

KittyFane Thu 01-Sep-11 16:12:24

It is what it is- it's the start of the school day, assembly time... Not perfect if you have to travel but it depends how much you want to go out of your way to attend the service.

Birdsgottafly Thu 01-Sep-11 16:16:22

YANBU. Surely though some pupils are going to get upset so having it later in the day would make sense.

My DD's school SEN has events at 9am and wonder why parents don't go, but by the time you see your DC on the school bus, you cannot get there in time in a taxi, or if you have other DC's to take to the local school.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 01-Sep-11 18:11:40

You're being unreasonable. If it matters to you, you'll be there, if not, you won't. Either way, it's not your call. hmm

IAmNeverUnreasonable Thu 01-Sep-11 19:44:27

Hmm. I hadn't thought of the assembly thing.
LyingWitch see my nickname. grin
I know it's not my call and I know that not all times will suit everybody but I do think there should have been SOME thought put into it. It's a boarding school - so the likelihood is that few people will live close by - and will thus have to find accommodation (which is what I will probably do).
angry generally

SauvignonBlanche Thu 01-Sep-11 19:48:14

No, it's not.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 01-Sep-11 19:49:06

Ah... well you obviously knew you were being so, so you changed your nickname as some kind of talisman to ward off cries of YABU... wink

Get yourself an alarm clock, woman! grin

Hulababy Thu 01-Sep-11 19:50:34

I suspect it is standard assembly time, which is a normal time to have such a memorial service ime.

I have been to three school based memorial assemblies at a school i work at, two for pupils and one for a teacher. The services were held in morning assembly time, keeping the routine for the pupils fairly consistent.

Northernlurkerr Thu 01-Sep-11 19:50:50

They have thought about it, 9am suits the working of the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now