Talk

Advanced search

... to be issuing instructions to my 11yo ds who is cooking dinner

(22 Posts)
Mogmog Thu 01-Sep-11 15:29:44

AND baking Chelsea buns as I drink the tea he made me while resting my twisted knee cap?

AgentZigzag Thu 01-Sep-11 15:43:47

A supervisory capacity is only sensible in these types of situations grin

He sounds a cracker, what is he doing for dinner?

Ouch and sympathy for your knee.

hopenglory Thu 01-Sep-11 15:45:06

it's important that kids learn to cook. You are teaching him valuable life skills

Mogmog Thu 01-Sep-11 15:48:05

Meatballs - and he is loving it!! And yes - he is a cracker smile
(we have The Great British Bake Off to be grateful for)

OddBoots Thu 01-Sep-11 15:49:39

Not at all, my 12yo ds is similarly inspired by www.sortedfood.com/.

Mogmog Thu 01-Sep-11 15:49:50

May have to draw the line if he tries to enlist the dog as his sous chef smile

Illegitimate Thu 01-Sep-11 15:50:40

My 8 year old cooks on a Wednesday and Saturday.Its a skill he must master, i left home at15 and didn't know how to boil an egg!

Enjoy your tea!

Oblomov Thu 01-Sep-11 16:31:42

I wil teach ds's to cook, but I think I will leave iyt to secondary school. DS1 is nearly 8 and he is nowhere near ready. I tend to see these things a bit like potty training, leave it a bit later and the ride is so much easier.

Goodynuff Thu 01-Sep-11 16:35:02

I started mine in the kitchen right away (around 2), and they both love cooking (14, and 12) still.
Even as toddlers, they can dump in ingredients, stir, and help wipe up smile

OP, I hope you are feeling better soon!

Insomnia11 Thu 01-Sep-11 16:38:10

Chelsea buns, seriously impressive.

fit2drop Thu 01-Sep-11 17:17:57

All my kids could cook a sunday lunch by the time they were 12 and often did mass bakes to fill the freezer for me .

and they could responsibly iron too

I never worried about my girls coping when they left home(and they all learnt to shop on a budget too) and my son insists on doing the ironing much to his partners delight grin

Oblomov Fri 02-Sep-11 07:20:48

I consider a roast to be the hardest thing to cook. Or a breakfast. Because both are 'timings', which is actually the trickiest.
When I was 11 or 12, we started at school with tea and toast. then a cake. then macaroni cheese, I think.
My mum taught me the roast / breakfast 'timing' skill. She also taught me to make beef wellington and tiffin.
I am not a great cook, but I can follow a recipe.
But the timing of getting, tea, sausages, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, baked beans, mushrooms, toast etc ready at the same time, is a skill I just don't think a very young person can manage.

Mishy1234 Fri 02-Sep-11 07:40:06

YANBU. It's important children learn to cook and also understand where ingredients come from and how much things cost.

Goodynuff - you are brave! We've just been doing baking type stuff, but I've been trying to do a bit more with DS1 (3.5). We've been inspired by Archie on MyDaddyCooks.

Mishy1234 Fri 02-Sep-11 07:41:37

Sorry Goodynuff - should have read you were brave, considering yours are 12 and 14!

niceguy2 Fri 02-Sep-11 08:48:11

God yes. And I wish more parents would teach their kids to cook.

Last night I was talking to DD's mate who is 13 and can't even cook an omlette. Apparently they have a microwave omlette maker. My heart wanted to weep!

Oblomov Fri 02-Sep-11 09:55:33

Doesn't most cooking go on at Uni ? I cooked lasagne and made garlic bread at uni. I made chicken stir fry and chicken curry, for the first time at uni. It was only ay Uni that I met a lovely Indian chap called Mo, who taught me what a cardamon pod was.
You wouldn't teach that to a ...... 8 yr old, 11 yr old, would you ?
Exactly what ages do you think children should be able to do these ?

plupervert Fri 02-Sep-11 10:15:57

Yes, no way do I want to send DS (and DD, when she appears) into the world as useless as DH was. He wouldn't cook for me when we were first going out "because I would make you sick". A sweet thought, but fucking annoying. I was annoyed with myself, too; why did I have to fall for an incompetent?!

worldgonecrazy Fri 02-Sep-11 10:19:31

I'm about to start teaching my 20 month old how to wash up and we are going to be introducing baking very soon. Her nursery class teach pizza and soup making from the age of 3, including chopping vegetables. All the children in the upper school have 10 fingers so I think it works out okay.

niceguy2 Fri 02-Sep-11 10:54:26

Well our 4 year old was peeling spuds the other day. Took him about 10 mins per spud. To be fair he started quicker but soon learned that the peeler hurts when he shaves his finger!

worraliberty Fri 02-Sep-11 10:59:50

My 12yr old DS is an excellent cook

But he can't peel bloody spuds...it takes him ages and I have to leave the kitchen cos his cack-handedness annoys me blush

Oblomov Fri 02-Sep-11 12:54:18

Yeah but peeling spuds is REALLY hard. And peelers are evil. Having taken quite a bit of skin off my own hands myself, as we all have, I'm sure.
Making fairy cakes, or rice crispie cakes with any 2/3/4 yr old is fine. But spud peeling is serious. dangerous.

LineRunner Fri 02-Sep-11 12:58:39

My 15 year old DD is just mastering opening a bag of crisps.

I have failed. <sobs>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now