Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Clarks toddler shoes?

(47 Posts)
clare8allthepies Thu 01-Sep-11 15:19:53

Hi, please be gentle with me it's my first AIBU smile

We bought DD her first pair of 'proper' shoes on Friday, she's only small (size 3) so they had a limited choice in her size. They brought out all 3 styles which were all very similar. The ones we picked had a strong rubbery sole and were made of deep pink (raspberry I think it was called) leather, the top bit is a suede-y material.

Anyway, apart from wearing them home from the shop she's only worn them 3 times, once indoors here only and twice to nursery (admittedly I don't know exactly what she did all day there but her clothes all came back OK!)

The shoes are already a bit scuffed but the suede-y bit is completely marked and looks terrible. I went into the shop today as I was in town and the assistant got a special rubber type thing to use on them and now they look even worse, where she used it the colour has really faded.

I said that I wasn't happy and they said that if I come back tomorrow with the receipt they will exchange them but it would be as a 'goodwill gesture' as there was no fault and she seemed very adamant that 'this is what happens with kids shoes'.

At the time I was adamant that this wasn't acceptable as we can't afford to buy her loads of pairs of shoes (not at £32 each!) so we're going to want her to wear them fairly frequently and if they look that bad after 6 days what state would they be in after 2 months?

However on the way home I thought maybe she was right and I should just accept that little ones shoes aren't going to look any good after the firsy couple of wears.

So genuinely, AIBU or are they?

StrandedBear Thu 01-Sep-11 15:23:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 01-Sep-11 15:26:05

I've never found a problem with Clarks although I know lots don't like them. I've found the opposite, apart from doodles which look terrible even when washed, the proper shoes look brand new even when they're too small. DD never seems to get enough wear out of them.

elphabadefiesgravity Thu 01-Sep-11 15:29:17

Clarks are rubbish and don;t last 5 minutes.

try Start-Rite or an independent make (Dandysteps were one make dd had when she was a size 2.

MrsCarriePooter Thu 01-Sep-11 15:29:49

Suede marks very easily, which makes it a bad choice for toddler shoes (tell that to Clarks and Startrite). I'm afraid you've learned the hard way that you need to spray protector on the suede parts, and if your DD is like mine, you need to invest in renovating polish for leather shoes. Don't panic too much - once the shoes are a bit older all the marks will blend into one and it becomes less noticable, if you see what I mean - and the saving grace is that your daughter may well be out of those shoes in two months time in any case.

bigbadtiger Thu 01-Sep-11 15:31:10

Clarks are rubbish. I dont know why people bother with them.

usingapseudonym Thu 01-Sep-11 15:40:55

We've done well with clarks shoes so far.

goodnightmoon Thu 01-Sep-11 15:47:33

sounds to me like you've just been unlucky - suede is not the best for adult shoes either. We've had loads of Clarks shoes, always in leather, and they've always lasted ages. Always from the outlet though so about half price!

gilmoregirl Thu 01-Sep-11 15:56:15

Have had similar experience with Clarks. Have left comments to that effect on their product review on website.

I did spray protector on DS's shoes and still got badly marked and impossible to clean. I think that plain leather - preferably with the rubber sole coming up quite high to the front is the most hard wearing style.

Woudl recommend startrite over clarks everytime as just much better quality and only slightly more expensive but IMO worth it as they look new for longer and just seem more "worth the money" to me. Startrite have a website where you can buy direct if you know the size and often have bargains and free PP

stressheaderic Thu 01-Sep-11 16:02:15

I had this issue in April this year. I bought the pink leather ones in a 3, friend bought the pink suede ones for her same age DD.
I must admit the leather ones did stay newer looking for longer, and I was able to use the protector on them to keep the leather looking good.
I think possibly the suede ones were just a bad choice, cute as they are.

They lasted DD about 3 months, then she grew a size. We got Clarks white open toe sandals in a 4 which are looking distinctly battered now after everyday use here and on holiday but what's important is they fitted her, never rubbed her feet once even when wet and without socks.

I would still sing the praises of Clarks tbh.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Thu 01-Sep-11 16:11:06

Are you sure you're not being a bit precious about the shoes ie. tiny little mark thats invisible to everyone else but you think it's a huge disaster?

I've never had any problem with Clarks shoes, think they last really well. My oldest doesn't grow much so her last one's lasted nearly a year until they were too small. It was only for the last month or two that they started to look tatty. They were leather though not suede. Always get really good service as well and have never had anything other than honesty about the fact that my DDs shoes still fit and no reason to buy new one's (have seen other people complain on here that they were sold shoes their kids didn't need).

Bloody expensive though!

KittyFane Thu 01-Sep-11 16:21:51

Clarks may not want to accept liability, that's what the 'good will gesture' bit is about. Just take them back, get hour money back and buy something else.

DD was 'fitted' by Clarks once with a pair of summer shoes, we walked around town in them (you know how children like to wear their new shoes straight away) - right round in a circle, straight back to the shop, the blood on the back of the shoes was evidence that they rubbed.... Clarks refunded 'as a good will gesture' then too!!!

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 01-Sep-11 16:28:18

Clarks are dreadful, I don't buy them anymore, def get your money back OP.

I bought DD1 some leather shoes from there with rubbery soles, the soles started almost peeling away at the sides after literally less than a week, took them back they gave me the same ones...same thing happened. Got a different style but they scuffed v badly within a week but nothing I could do it was just scuffing this time as opposed to what seemed to be a fault, even applying the same colour polish didn't improve the appearance.

I now buy Startrite so much better, DD2 scuffed her second pair of shoes so badly but with startrite shoes the leather is dyed underneath too so rather than grey sort of colour that came through with clarks it was scuffed red leather and when I applied the polish over the top they looked good as new. I do now try to buy my 2 DDs the same colour shoes and buy a tub of the polish at the same time and polish them every few days and it really makes a difference and they look smarter much longer.

Startrite are more expensive but worth the money in my opinion.

these are the ones I had for DD2 and they lasted really really well.

clare8allthepies Thu 01-Sep-11 16:42:43

Thanks everyone, think they're only offering an exchange not a refund so think I'll try to get a pair without the suede bit as the rest of the shoes is ok, it's just those bits that look terrible. Will definitely look into Startrite though - do they have their own shops or are they just stocked in general shoe shops?

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Thu 01-Sep-11 16:43:30

whoneedssleepanyway Did you buy the black one's for school? Very plain and boring though aren't they, even in that reddish colour.

slavetofilofax Thu 01-Sep-11 16:51:59

I love Clarks toddler shoes, they are so cute! But suede was never going to be the best choice of material for shoes really, was it?

All the Clarks shoes we have ever had have lasted well and fit well, I don't know why so many people have a problem with them.

Start rite are good too though, weve only been able to get them in independent shoe shops, or in John lewis.

notasausage Thu 01-Sep-11 16:54:38

Had a similar experience with some summer leather shoes from Clarks and the scuff cover they sold me with them was a different colour. Have bought startright ever since and although her current ones haven't done so well they were more of a newbuck leather and got filled with wee several times at nursery during potty training. Patent leather is the most hard wearing ime and stay looking great throughout the life of the shoe - my DD usually has hers 6months at a time. You can get startright in John Lewis or other independent shoe shops. If you're anywhere near Meadowhall shopping centre Kids at Clinks have the most enormous selection of kids shoes.

rogersmellyonthetelly Thu 01-Sep-11 16:55:39

They choose suede as it's generally softer and more flexible than full leather, but even so, I agree, Clarks are rubbish.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Thu 01-Sep-11 17:03:47

So all these people who dislike clarks, do you all get yours from startrite?

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 01-Sep-11 17:47:09

I have just looked on Startrite and now have a very happy 13yr old as their shoes go up to a Large 10 i.e mens sizes and he hates having to have mens shoes being a size 9.

Although its going to cost me £44 for his shoes and £40 for DS2's shoes [arghhh]

NoobyNoob Thu 01-Sep-11 17:57:15

Blimey, am I the only one who gets DS's shoes from Brantanos?!

Clarks and Startrite are just so bloody expensive I just can't afford it.

TheLadyEvenstar Thu 01-Sep-11 18:06:53

Nooby, I am going to struggle to afford it myself sad

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Thu 01-Sep-11 18:11:08

I only get doodles for nursery shoes, even though ours wear slippers inside cause they will be playing in them. Then get a nice pair for out with me, not in the garden.

pamplemousserose Thu 01-Sep-11 18:14:50

I find patent gets scratched really easily and people can see your knickers in the reflection

Tonksforthememories Thu 01-Sep-11 18:18:32

I bought a pair of shoes from Brantano for DS. £6 in the sale and they fit him better than his clarks ones.

I won't buy clarks for DD1, she's really hard on shoes and i refuse to pay £40 for shoes that won't last a week.

Brantano all the way! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now