Talk

Advanced search

to secretly swap the handsets

(8 Posts)
Angel786 Thu 01-Sep-11 10:03:58

I ordered a new handset from my mobile provider on Mon. I was told it would be with me Tues. The courier phoned me several times to say he was on his way and would be with me shortly. By 7.30pm he still insisted he was close and would be with me in 10 mins. I asked him if he had the right address, he said yes and told me the first line. Several chaser calls later, when he finally called at 9pm to say he was a minute away I went and waited on the street (we live in a block). After 10 mins it transpires he is at my old address and said he would not deliver that night.

I called the phone provider immediately to tell them, they said call in the morning. Called on Wed morning and explained. Transpires they had updated my address except from the postcode. A phone would be with me by end of Wed according to the phone provider. The courier then calls also to confirm the phone would be with me by end of day he also says he is not meant to do this but will deliver at the end of the day as his schedule was already full. By 8pm I am irritated. Phone courier several times, finally he says no he won't deliver tonight he's not allowed, someone-else will deliver on Thurs.

I call the phone provider again, they say a phone will be with by end of Thurs. By end of Thurs I start getting calls saying they had tried to redeliver to the old address AGAIN. I call phone provider. They say a phone will be with me Monday, they will not redeliver but will place a new order. Friday the courier company calls me and says I need to tell the phone company not to order a new phone. I call phone provider and said not to place a new order etc. the lady is adamant a new phone should be order despite me telling her what the courier said and requesting she calls the courier company to confirm.

Friday, phone arrives. I call phone company again and tell them it has arrived I do not need a new phone. Please ensure the new order has been cancelled. The man said all fine, in case it does arrive on Mon just refuse the courier. No courier on Mon. Tues a courier arrives, I ask what the packages are (I have to go downstairs to collect and wouldn't go if the phone) he says something big from the Book People. Collect my order and he also has a small package. I am confused but thought perhaps something from BrandAlley I have been expecting. Get upstairs. Now I have two handsets.

Bold*Despite trying to be v careful I have scratched the screen of my new phone, can I swap with the new handset and then return the scratched one* hmm?

SORRY for the length of this!

Angel786 Thu 01-Sep-11 10:04:35

Bold: Despite trying to be v careful I have scratched the screen of my new phone, can I swap with the new handset and then return the scratched one ?

MissPenteuth Thu 01-Sep-11 10:07:49

Well if it's obvious that you've opened both packages they might hold you responsible for the damage. It would be your word against theirs and you know you damaged the screen, so how comfortable would you be about lying to them?

Or you could come clean and say that since they've messed you around you think you deserve to keep the undamaged phone instead?

slavetofilofax Thu 01-Sep-11 10:09:16

Of course you can. I don't see a problem with it. If they didn't want you have a choice of which one to send back, they shouldn't have sent you two.

Atwaroverscrabble Thu 01-Sep-11 10:12:12

I guess it also depends on which imei number they have now attached to your account... I suspect the latest one? Just pack up the old one and ask them to collect at their expense....

BoneyBackJefferson Thu 01-Sep-11 10:53:47

send the scratched one back. If they complain tell them that it was like that when you took it out of the box and would have returned it, as they have sent a second undamaged phone you are keeping that one.

Angel786 Thu 01-Sep-11 12:28:20

Thanks all. I will risk it, what's the worst that can happen? It's not like they would sue me over it hmm

keepingupwiththejoneses Thu 01-Sep-11 12:55:08

I would try it! Was your phone provider Orange by any chance, this same mess about happened with DH's new handset.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now