Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want a fox free garden?

(60 Posts)
tiddlerslate Wed 31-Aug-11 22:42:44

Arrived back from a lovely week at my mum's to find the foxes have destroyed our garden yet again. They have crapped everywhere including on the DD's new trampoline and have chewed the protective covering off the bars.

Everytime I plant something they dig it up including all the veggies I've tried to grow with the DD's.

This is probably in the wrong place but any advice would be really welcome. I've got one of those ultrasonic scarer things but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the little buggers.

SouthernFriedTofu Wed 31-Aug-11 22:45:26

Why do you deserve the garden more the foxes? It's their home isn't it?

And YABUU you are being unreasonable and unrealistic

Vallhala Wed 31-Aug-11 22:53:04

My thoughts are much the same as Southern's but I can see the problems you're faced with. website should give you both advice and an insight into man's affect upon fox welfare.

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Wed 31-Aug-11 22:53:51

What Southern said.

worraliberty Wed 31-Aug-11 22:53:56

I put some of the kid's old trainers out in the garden for the young foxes to chew on.

Only because I made the mistake of leaving my back door open one night and a little fox came in and ran off with one of my son's brand new trainers!

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 31-Aug-11 22:54:57

Yanbu. They are such pests.

Dawnybabe Wed 31-Aug-11 22:57:37

If you are being plagued with vermin you really need to speak to a professional pest controller who can advise you as to what to do. You don't want foxes in your garden to that extent if you've got children running around.

Just please don't catch them and release them into the countryside. We've got enough of the bloody things! The towny foxes don't know how to hunt, get killed by the resident foxes or just sit there watching the farmer take aim wondering what he's doing.

acsec Wed 31-Aug-11 22:59:17

Get your DH to wee around the fence - the smell will keep the foxes out, but he has to do it often. Or get some lion poo from a garden centre.

faverolles Wed 31-Aug-11 22:59:37

Sounds vile, but wee in a jug and pour it around your garden perimeter, this acts as a deterrent.

troisgarcons Wed 31-Aug-11 23:00:02

YANBU - foxes are rural creatures, lured into towns with the prospect of easy food.

Can't be doing with the fluffy-wuffy brigade - they are vermin and should be dealt with in the same way you would deal with rats.

Vallhala Wed 31-Aug-11 23:05:05

I want to live in worras house!

trois, we don't all "deal with" what you call vermin in the manner that your post suggests.

troisgarcons Wed 31-Aug-11 23:06:06

My post didnt suggest anything. Dont project onto me.

AgentZigzag Wed 31-Aug-11 23:06:42

Faverolles, I love it that your advice to decant ones wee into a jug is so much less common than acsecs, who'd have her DH going round pissing in the garden grin

Pagwatch Wed 31-Aug-11 23:08:11

Yanbu to find them irritating. They shit everywhere and they fight endlessly waking the dc up at night. And they torment my lovely dog.

I might try the piss thing.

tiddlerslate Wed 31-Aug-11 23:10:28

Thanks for the ideas. Will get DH to try the weeing one. We live in a mid terrace and our garden is tiny. There's a huge park nearby so wonder if they come in from there.

NasalCoffeeEnema Wed 31-Aug-11 23:10:57

Male pee though

Pagwatch Wed 31-Aug-11 23:12:15

We have a huge, huge garden. How do I break this to dh?

PizzaEmpress Wed 31-Aug-11 23:12:41

troisgarcons, it's illegal to poison a fox, if that's what you're implying. Illegal and horrendous.

OP, have a look at the RSPCA site here for some decent advice.

AgentZigzag Wed 31-Aug-11 23:13:37

Tell him he's got to drink lots of beer pag? (if not, it's herbal tea all the way)

troisgarcons Wed 31-Aug-11 23:14:44

It has to be male urine - its the testosterone.

Lion/tiger poop pellets apparently work too. YOu can get them on line.

This wont go down well, but nailing carpet gripper rod to your fence will deter them. Mind you, you'll be sued by an errant burglar.

Main thing - dont put scraps out for birds - it just attracts foxes, mice, rats etc.

People also forget foxes carry toxocariasis in their faeces which can cause blindness.

troisgarcons Wed 31-Aug-11 23:16:20

PizzaEmpress :troisgarcons, it's illegal to poison a fox, if that's what you're implying. Illegal and horrendous.

I never implied anything of the sort. DO NOT put words in my mouth.

LineRunner Wed 31-Aug-11 23:17:27

OP, Are you urban or rural?

tiddlerslate Wed 31-Aug-11 23:19:45

DH has agreed to wee! He's strutting a bit saying stuff like "there's a big dog in town". He's had a few beers...

If my neighbour sees we'll never here the end of it. He's always up a ladder offering us advice over the fence.

tiddlerslate Wed 31-Aug-11 23:22:01

Linerunner - we are urban, north london

clam Wed 31-Aug-11 23:22:23

Pag, you need help. Hold a party for your DS's mates. Supply much drink. Tell 'em the loos are out of action.
Sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now