Talk

Advanced search

To be gobsmacked that junior scrabble is approx £18!!!!

(19 Posts)
redderthanred Wed 31-Aug-11 16:52:54

Am starting getting xmas bits and bobs, and i was thinking of getting DD junior scrabble. When i was little we used to get a board game each xmas and its nice to all sit and play it etc... Shes 5, almost 6 and it isnt really something she would put on her 'list' but i know its something she would like doing.
I was expecting it to be about £10, but im really shocked that its £18. Thats a whole lot of money.. well, i think so. Her main present isnt going to be more than £20!!

DorisIsAPinkDragon Wed 31-Aug-11 16:58:19

You have plenty of time to start watching out for deals using tesco clubcard vochers (particularly during the 'exchanges'). Prices should come down at least a little bit betweeen now and then.

But YANBU it is a ridiculous price.

(If it's any consolation the dc's are getting games from the boot sales that look brand new (sans the shiny cellophane) they don't know any different!).

smalltownshame Wed 31-Aug-11 16:59:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ninjanurse Wed 31-Aug-11 17:00:58

I bought my kids junior scrabble from a charity shop for christmas last year - £1.50. Have also recently bought Cranium Cadoo from a charity shop for £2. Worth looking around, you can pick them up 2nd hand in very good condition and kids dont know the difference. Junior monopoly is another good one to look out for.

Punkatheart Wed 31-Aug-11 17:05:55

Charity shops ALWAYS have loads of games like this - sometimes unopened...

LalalalalalaSummerHoliday Wed 31-Aug-11 17:08:07

Junior Scrabble is rubbish too. Honest, don't bother. Better off with Boggle. If that's still available?

Cereal Wed 31-Aug-11 17:34:05

It's not just toys, everything is surprising me by how expensive it is now.

youarekidding Wed 31-Aug-11 17:40:48

Yes games are expensive. ARGOS often have games on offer and when I went in before his birthday to get his present they had CASH Monopoly reduced to £12 ish. It's fab with an ATM that shoots money out. grin

Also know in previous years I have bought cheaper brand versions of games from Tesco. We have operation (£6 version and a monster), Mousetrap (£5 version but pirates). and have lot's from charity shops and also that were mine!

Lalala I LOVE Boogle. grin

YANBU.

youarekidding Wed 31-Aug-11 17:41:24

'his' being my DS who was 7 btw!

smalltownshame Wed 31-Aug-11 19:32:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LalalalalalaSummerHoliday Sat 03-Sep-11 00:26:28

Glad they still make boggle. We have dh's from when he was wee, because his ma has kept it all. Everything. Right down to bags of his used polyester socks which were given directly to my dd when she was 7 so that I couldn't withhold them from her (immediately).

RebelFromTheWaistDown Sat 03-Sep-11 00:28:39

I just bought the scrabble app for iPad tonight for £1.49

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 03-Sep-11 00:30:14

Junior Scrabble is indeed rubbish. I love Boggle, and you can change the rules to suit a 5 year old no problem.

OddBoots Sat 03-Sep-11 00:37:46

A thousand pounds?! That's absurd!

huffythethreadslayer Sat 03-Sep-11 09:39:38

Got it from a car boot for a £1. Have picked up a few sets for school too. Also, Boggle, Pass the Bomb, proper Scrabble and Deluxe Scrabble. Paid no more than a pound for any of them. One or two have never been out of their wrappers.

Also, check out Hotdeals UK. They often notify you of sales, let you know when stuff is bonkersly cheap. Picked up Trickster Scrabble for £7 using Hotdeals. Have also scored cheap Harry Potter Lego, Puffle stuff and Hunter wellies for the girl. Love Hotdeals!

exoticfruits Sat 03-Sep-11 09:46:49

Go to carboot sales-you can always pick up good quality games really cheap.

PureBloodMuggle Sat 03-Sep-11 09:56:20

Look in car boots, charity shops and fates for them. Seems to be always about.

PureBloodMuggle Sat 03-Sep-11 09:57:02

Oh that's car boot sales, not random car boots. That sort of behaviour is frowned upon!!

huffythethreadslayer Sat 03-Sep-11 21:22:20

Lol pureblood...I wondered why I was getting funny looks in the street where I live smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now