Talk

Advanced search

To never forgive my sister for this?

(14 Posts)
DooinMeCleanin Wed 31-Aug-11 15:55:03

<Slightly tongue in cheek>

She asked me to feed the pigeons (mainly wild, a few injured ones and a few permanant resident homing pigeons) while I was there for her dog.

What she did not tell me is that the very second I stepped into the yard, innocently holding the jars of pigeon food I would be confronted with a scene from Hitchcock's The Birds. Within second's the tiny yard was literally filled with hundreds (and I do mean hundreds) of wild birds, leaving me stood in the middle wonder what the fuck was happening to me.

I am not scared of birds by any means, but to say I got a shock is an understatement <wibble>

SnakeOnCrack Wed 31-Aug-11 15:55:56

RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIIIIIIFE

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Wed 31-Aug-11 15:56:27

heee heee

Where had she hidden the video camera?...

I bet her neighbours love her grin

DooinMeCleanin Wed 31-Aug-11 15:59:31

Funnily enough I don't think the neighbours care. They are my Dad's birds but he is away and she is looking after the menagerie. The neighbours actually give him injured and sick birds to nurse back to health.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Wed 31-Aug-11 16:09:27

AHAHAHAHA!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 31-Aug-11 16:20:59

I learned that lesson early, when I was sent, at the age of three, to feed my granny's chickens.

<still traumatised>

Katiepoes Wed 31-Aug-11 16:28:15

That is officially my worst nightmare come to life. I nearly had haeart failure once in Traflagar Square when one pigeon was on my foot. Your scenario would finish me off. Yeuch birds. You are for sure NBU. Your sister is clearly the devil.

5Foot5 Wed 31-Aug-11 16:32:38

Katiepos Me too!

I am very unhappy around birds and I don't like it when a pigeon in the street suddenly flies up in case it bumps in to me.

I don't hae all birds. Not at all. Some I enjpy watching from a distance. But I don't want them near me. No thanks. And I think pigeons are a particular nuisance.

Bird phobia is not uncommon so it was very thoughtless of your sister to put you in this position. And if I was your Dad's neighbour I would be furious and wondering who I could complain too.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 31-Aug-11 16:35:28

I'd be calling the Environmental Health if I lived next door!

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 31-Aug-11 16:36:32

Your dsis's yard has a lot in common with this site.

Mention a Krispy Kreme and the ethernet skies darken as flocks of m/netters descend for their share. grin

DooinMeCleanin Wed 31-Aug-11 16:43:42

grin @ Izzy.

He has lived there for over 25 years now and has always had birds in the yard. Usually pigeons, but at one point there was an aivery of Finches etc. He rescues and rehabilitates wild birds so there have one or two knocking about.

No-one has ever made a complaint to him or the council about it. As I said, he is often the first port of call if the neighbours find injured wild life or stray pets.

We are oop North. Pigeon keeping is common place. People just accept it.

5Foot5 Wed 31-Aug-11 16:47:55

I come from "oop North" too. I have only ever known a handful of people who kept pigeons and my Mum used to fume about one lot because they sometimes shat on her washing. (The pigeons not the owners)

Horrible birds.

DooinMeCleanin Wed 31-Aug-11 16:51:41

I know loads of pigeon keepers, although obviously my Dad moves in those circles and it's what we were raised with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now