Talk

Advanced search

to be getting so so sick now of not being able to afford a car?

(32 Posts)
juicychops Tue 30-Aug-11 21:22:25

had to sell my car at the beginning of the year as could no longer afford to run it what with moving house and paying a higher rent. I have lasted until now and struggled through the summer holidays. i am dreading the winter and the 20 minute walk to ds's school, and then the further half hour walk from the school to work - then the walk back again when its all cold and rainy

how do people get by without a car? and even more importantly, how do people who are used to having a car then get by without a car? its not getting any easier sad

PickleSarnie Tue 30-Aug-11 21:30:08

I've managed until the age of 34 without a car and even now that I have a car I'm sure I must be known as "that strange woman that walks everywhere" by the people on my street.

It helps that I hate driving though.

TheFeministsWife Tue 30-Aug-11 21:36:06

YANBU! I feel for you I really do. We were without a car for years and then eventually DH passed his test (I'm still trying blush). We bought a 23 year old banger, that got us from A to B, then eventually DH inherited some money and we bought a decent car. Couldn't be without it. The funny thing is it's actually cheaper for us to run a car than for 4 of us to get around to work and school on public transport!

AandK Tue 30-Aug-11 21:36:21

I'm the same I can't drive always thought there were more important things to pay for.

I'm a single mum too but I manage its buses and walking and warm clothes in the winter and the magic thing called a family railcard smile

SoftKittyWarmKitty Tue 30-Aug-11 21:37:16

It's strange that you've posted this because after just paying nearly £200 car tax and the MOT on my 10 year old car coming up next month, then the insurance (around £400) due in Nov, I'm seriously considering getting rid of mine too. Not sure if you've put me off or not. The main thing for me would be getting to work because it's at the other side of town. However, if it fails the MOT the decision will be made for me!

Tee2072 Tue 30-Aug-11 21:38:43

Well, there's the bus and taxis and walking is good for you.

Don't have a car. Don't see any need for one.

squeakytoy Tue 30-Aug-11 21:43:36

A 20 minute walk to school is only a short journey, and another half hour after that for you isnt really that much of a mission if you are a healthy adult.

AandK Tue 30-Aug-11 21:45:56

I agree about being walking distance to work thats great just purchase some snow boots and ice grippers and you'll be fine smile

juicychops Tue 30-Aug-11 21:46:32

but its different if you've had a car for years then had to give it up because you come to rely on it and its hard to remember how you used to cope without one!

softkitty, i suppose its not been the end of the world for me and ds, i have managed, its just hard. and even though i used to pay over £100 per month running a car, i still begrudge paying a few quid on the bus each time!

im fine walking but do not enjoy walking to work on a time limit. plus i get really sweaty!! If i had the choice i would have my car, but it has been nice having a little bit of money free each month not having the car. and im fitter!

squeakytoy Tue 30-Aug-11 21:47:24

Get a bike. That will take most of the time off the journey.

juicychops Tue 30-Aug-11 21:48:15

and i get travel sick so dont do well on buses or as a passenger in other people's cars. its horrible

squeakytoy Tue 30-Aug-11 21:49:29

If it is a 30 minute walk, you would only be on the bus for a few minutes!!

RandomMess Tue 30-Aug-11 21:49:33

Get a bike?

I have a car but unless it's absolutely peeing with rain the dc and I or dh take them to school and then go to work it would be a 25 minute walk followed by a 35 minute walk. I have a huge cycle basket, they scooter and wear a back pack each.

BEcause of the traffic it is actually just as quick to cycle as to drive.

AandK Tue 30-Aug-11 21:50:24

The only thing I don't like about not having a car is going to places like Alton Towers. How do you get there without a car???

juicychops Tue 30-Aug-11 21:50:32

i did have a bike and rode to work for the first 2 months after my car was sold but i got so sweaty that i had to have a shower when i got to work and by the time i had had a shower it was taking longer to get sorted than it would if i had walked and i work on flexi time so it was eating into that

since ive not had my car im only just doing my 16 hours per week as it takes me that much longer but can't drop ds off at school earlier than i do

fivegomadindorset Tue 30-Aug-11 21:50:51

You can walk, you don't need a car, think about the savings you make or get a bike/scooter for DS/you.

Tee lucky you not needing one.

RedHelenB Tue 30-Aug-11 21:51:46

Just think how fit & healthy you & your ds will be!

Not much fun in the winter but how about a taxi with some of the money you are saving on the really bad days?

RandomMess Tue 30-Aug-11 21:53:19

Hmmm if I cycle slowly/leisurely and use that 48 hour deoderant I'm not hot and sweaty?

juicychops Tue 30-Aug-11 21:53:43

did manage to get to chessington this summer hols as my sis took us. but didn't make it to the beach or many other places we were hoping to go to

there is one bus that goes in the direction of my work, but its a 10 min walk in the opposite direction from the school then its a further 10 minute walk when i get off the bus at the other end so not really beneficial unless its pouring down

juicychops Tue 30-Aug-11 21:55:14

im a super sweaty person!! blush

RandomMess Tue 30-Aug-11 21:55:20

If you set up a regular mini cab arrangement how much would it cost?

juicychops Tue 30-Aug-11 21:56:44

no idea. i recon it would cost at least £6 each way to work so that would cost quite a lot

lachesis Tue 30-Aug-11 21:58:16

I'd rather forgo any meat, booze or takeaways forever than go without a car.

RandomMess Tue 30-Aug-11 21:59:24

Hmm for regular journeys it can be quite cheap? 5 miles in the evening is £10 (I live near Chessington!) would be less during the day and less if it were a regular slot???

Marney Tue 30-Aug-11 22:16:58

Sorry you cant afford a car ive never been able to and probably never will.We cant afford buses the least the goverment should do is make public transport affordable .If i get a bus to town and back with my daughter its about 8 pounds so she walks usually and i use a bike whatever the weather.The only good thing is you get more exersise.
It limits your job prospects though and leaves you with no social life sorry you are in this situation though its not easy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now