Talk

Advanced search

To ask you all to boycott this establishment

(178 Posts)
thisisnoton Tue 30-Aug-11 19:12:33

On BBC local news in NE tonight: sorry I'm too much of a luddite to link it.

Anyway, establishment is The Lakeside pub and restaurant in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear. A woman was told to leave whilst having a meal with her family for breastfeeding her 6 week old baby. She obviously stated that this was illegal, but they humiliated her by insisting she left.

worraliberty Tue 30-Aug-11 19:13:27

Sorry, would have to know more about it

BimboNo5 Tue 30-Aug-11 19:14:21

Oh christ on a bike, another one to hide...

Feminine Tue 30-Aug-11 19:17:24

Well it happens all the time unfortunately.

Poor woman ...I would like to see how this plays out.

catgirl1976 Tue 30-Aug-11 19:18:42

She shouldn't have gone.

Tee2072 Tue 30-Aug-11 19:18:42

If you're too much of a Luddite to read and follow the instructions on how to make a link, you are too much of a Luddite to post on MN.

Also, calling for a local boycott on an international board is pointless.

Birdsgottafly Tue 30-Aug-11 19:18:52

Rather than boycotting it, anyone breast feeding should go in and feed their baby.

It is illegal, just as it would have been if she was asked to leave because she was black. Anyone asked to leave because they are breastfeeding should take legal action against the business, under the Equality Bill.

FabbyChic Tue 30-Aug-11 19:19:39

I've no problem with people breastfeeding but you don't do it whilst others are eating their dinner, especially not in a paying restaurant.

catgirl1976 Tue 30-Aug-11 19:19:39

I am happy to boycott it though as I am unlikely to ever be in Gateshead so thats easily done smile Not sure they will notice me not coming though

worraliberty Tue 30-Aug-11 19:20:17

Can't find the story anywhere on here?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/tyne_and_wear/

Birdsgottafly Tue 30-Aug-11 19:21:45

Op is this it;
www.itv.com/tynetees/

OrganicFreeRangeBoys Tue 30-Aug-11 19:22:03

Eh? But the baby is eating their dinner too Fabby!

I don't get it! Why should a baby not eat their dinner in a place where everyone else is eating their dinner. confused

Sad sad world we live in.

MardyBra Tue 30-Aug-11 19:22:39

FabbyChic - would you rather they went and fed their baby in a smelly loo instead then. Nothing wrong with a bit of discreet breastfeeding. If it puts you off your meal, then there is something wrong with you.

sheeplikessleep Tue 30-Aug-11 19:23:42

fabby, i am starting to think you say things for effect.

Feminine Tue 30-Aug-11 19:24:40

I suspect fabby is on the wind-up again!

I doubt she will post on this thread again smile

Stormwater Tue 30-Aug-11 19:26:09

Has the story been removed? I can't find anything about it on either of those two links, or when searching'breastfeeding' on BBC News.

TCOB Tue 30-Aug-11 19:26:49

Fabby I think you'll find babies need feeding when they are hungry, you can't tell them to wait until everyone else has finished. Also surely the issue is not whther Ms X's baby had any table manners but the fact that the law was broken in a flagrantly discriminatory way as Birds points out?

thisisnoton - you will find the full majesty of MN rages at you for this one. As per usual will turn into a yawnsome anti-BF thread rather than an actual debate about the fact a woman has been dealt with in an extremely prejudiced way by a company - which on the face of it you'd hope most people would agree with.

MitchiestInge Tue 30-Aug-11 19:26:54

what's the alternative to a paying restaurant?

FriggFRIGG Tue 30-Aug-11 19:27:18

poor woman,she needs to take legal action.

bubblesincoffee Tue 30-Aug-11 19:27:23

What Fabby said.

If this woman was asked to leave, it may well be because she wasn't being discreet. She should have been feeding in a way that others would barely have noticed what she was doing. Unless we know what really happened, we can't make a fair judgement.

If she was making other customers uncomfortable, it's fair enough that she was aked to leave.

FabbyChic Tue 30-Aug-11 19:28:12

All restaurants should have mother and baby rooms so babies can be fed there.

This is the second thread of this kind, seriously people out for a meal or a night out really don't want to see it, I know you dont want to hear it but it's true.

When I had my children I never took them out during feeding times because I would not want to cause disruption to others. Thats just me.

catgirl1976 Tue 30-Aug-11 19:28:30

She doesnt need to be bloody discreet. She is feeding a baby not making a drugs deal.

Fuck the other customers. If a woman feeding a baby makes them feel uncomfortable there is something wrong with them.

sungirltan Tue 30-Aug-11 19:29:52

bubbles - seeing other diners eating in restaurants with their mouths opne makes me feel uncomfortable - could i ask them to leave in future?

ChippingIn Tue 30-Aug-11 19:31:18

Bubbles - wtf? Even if she'd half stripped off to feed a 6 week old they have no business asking her to leave, she was breastfeeding a baby not changing a pooey nappy!

BimboNo5 Tue 30-Aug-11 19:33:04

Its a legal right for a woman to breastfeed her child in public, regardless of who 'wants' to see it or not. Just like chavs with g-strings hanging over the top of their too tight jeans, string vests, bulldog tattoos etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now