Talk

Advanced search

To think my friend is wrong and I am NOT on benefits?

(51 Posts)
NickNacks Tue 30-Aug-11 18:17:55

OK so short story is I am a childminder and one or more of my parents receive Tax credits help towards their childcare costs. Therefore i am given the money from tax credits as payment for my services. My husband and i do not receive tax credits or anything else besides child benefit. I guess this could be classed as a benefit but is not the point my friend is making.

Am i right in thinking i am not 'on benefits' even though i do receive this money eventually?

Will give more info if needed but trying to keep it short and sweet. I'd really like to know what you think as i ended up getting quite cross with her yesterday!

usualsuspect Tue 30-Aug-11 18:19:16

Does it matter?

WhatFreshHellIsThis Tue 30-Aug-11 18:19:36

IF that's all she's basing it on, then no, of course you're not on benefits. You work. It doesn't matter how the parents pay you.

Now if you're going to debate whether Tax Credits are benefits, now that could be a bunfight. grin

joric Tue 30-Aug-11 18:20:15

Not benefits but wages surely?
Private nurseries receive payment from the government too for child places.

Iggly Tue 30-Aug-11 18:21:04

Er your friend is talking madness.

Is she suggesting that you're sponging off the state??

belgo Tue 30-Aug-11 18:21:20

What a strange logic your friend has. Of course you are not on benefits.

NickNacks Tue 30-Aug-11 18:21:42

Not debating about Tax credits being a benefit so no bunfight needed! grin

I realise I work the same as the parents who pay me do- but they are the ones entitled to the help not me.

Mitmoo Tue 30-Aug-11 18:21:57

You are working for your money, it's just that the government are paying you on behalf of the parents who quality for WTC.

Don't discuss your finances with this "friend" again, she sounds a little dim.

BooBooGlass Tue 30-Aug-11 18:22:07

How does that work? When I recieved tax credits for childcare it came to ME to pay towards my bill. Why do you get the payments direct from tax credits? Has the system changed?

Mightimama Tue 30-Aug-11 18:22:49

1) Tax credits are not benefits they are entitlements
2) Your friend is talking out of her backside

Flisspaps Tue 30-Aug-11 18:22:59

You are right. You are not 'on benefit' if this family are using their Tax Credits to pay your fees. She's talking out of her arse.

If she were right, then ASDA are also 'on benefit' as my Tax Credits go towards part of our shopping bill.

Tonksforthememories Tue 30-Aug-11 18:23:31

YANBU, you're not. The other parents are. You are being paid for your services, where the parents get that money from is neither here nor there.

If you don't make the claim, they're not your benefits.

FabbyChic Tue 30-Aug-11 18:24:04

It is your wages, you are certainly not on benefits you don't claim.

adamschic Tue 30-Aug-11 18:24:43

No you are not on benefits. Why is she arguing with you about this?

NickNacks Tue 30-Aug-11 18:25:03

No I don't get the payments direct to me. I happened to mention to 'friend' that i had agreed to change a payment date with parent (as i was explaining i had not a lot of money to go out yesterday) as parents wanted to pay on the day they received TC's.

BooBooGlass Tue 30-Aug-11 18:25:42

Then your friend is clearly a bit dim.

frazzle26 Tue 30-Aug-11 18:26:20

Your friend sounds like a right dim wit. You are working for your money, it doesn't matter where that money originated from.

andthisisme Tue 30-Aug-11 18:26:41

Well, you work for the money, being a child minder is a job. So no, the cash you get is not a benefit, it is a wage.

Your friend has a very strange logic. If this was applied in general then surely everyone who somehow received some of the money from child benefit/tax credits etc, eg shops, cafes, hairdressers could also be considered "on benefits".

Should I inform people when I pay them that part of my income is from tax credits so they are aware of this confused

Make your friend read this thread.

SuePurblybilt Tue 30-Aug-11 18:26:54

That's bonkers. If that's the case then Clarks, the Sue Ryder shop and Lidl are also on benefits as I get CTC and that's where I spent my pounds today.
The sponging bastards.

Is your friend a little hard of thinking praps?

ASByatt Tue 30-Aug-11 18:28:10

I agree that your 'friend' is talking out of her nether regions.

You do not receive the TCs, these parents do.
If you did not mind their child/ren, you would not receive the money.
Therefore it is not a 'benefit' or whatever of yours.

Nether regions, I tell you......

NickNacks Tue 30-Aug-11 18:29:09

Thank you all! I did say to her that i never even ask parents if they claim TC's to help witht the costs. None of my business. The only reason i know is if they bring up the subject.

Duly noted that friend is dim grin Thank you!

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Tue 30-Aug-11 18:29:11

YANBU ofcourse this doesn't mean you are "on benefits". hmm Your friend is either a wind up merchant or a douchebag. Or an idiot. Take your pick.

adamschic Tue 30-Aug-11 18:30:40

Either dim or she is having a dig, for reasons unbeknown.

redexpat Tue 30-Aug-11 18:34:44

Perhaps you could explain to your weird stupid friend that it's like the government contracts out childcare to you and pays you for supplying this service.

joric Tue 30-Aug-11 18:39:13

Was she trying to have a dig OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now