Talk

Advanced search

to have a Sat-Nav called Jane?

(40 Posts)
Seep Tue 30-Aug-11 17:40:08

Is this weird? DH thinks it is. I don't. who is right and AIU?

Mitmoo Tue 30-Aug-11 17:42:33

Jane is a voice on some Sat Navs, it depends what mood I'm in, the Daleks are only OK for a short time, my Jamaican man makes me laugh and if my ears need a rest I have a lovely Irish man directing me.

If you name your satnav yourself that's weird, only a little though.

mymumdom Tue 30-Aug-11 17:47:04

No, ours is called Miss Polly. The kids named it years ago.

Seep Tue 30-Aug-11 17:49:47

i did name her myself blush she sounds like a Jane.

WilsonFrickett Tue 30-Aug-11 17:53:34

YANBU. My sat nav is called Celia and my car is called Sonya. But you'd have to meet them both to understand grin

5inthebed Tue 30-Aug-11 17:54:02

Surely you mean Jane-Jane?

Mitmoo Tue 30-Aug-11 17:55:35

Wilson that made me laugh.

Mrsfluff Tue 30-Aug-11 17:58:55

We call her Sheila and thank her numerous times throughout the journey <unfailingly polite emoticon> Though we have to have words with her sometimes s she can seem a little shouty/stern at times grin

LoonyRationalist Tue 30-Aug-11 18:05:46

Our sat nav is called Jane too, despite the voice we have now being called something else. We also have Jane routes (convoluted & fiddly but minusculely shorter)

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 30-Aug-11 18:07:51

Not at all, ours is called Sean. I'll ask DH if he needs Sean or does he know the way. Very normal I think.

joben Tue 30-Aug-11 18:10:17

On a long road trip to Italy, via Switzerland, we changed the sat nav voice frequently, to relieve the boredom. We invented a whole personna for 'Simon' who navigated us through Geneva. You see, he knew the area so well, because his gay lover once lived there. Jane helped us through France, because she was a retired French teacher, obviously (forced to retire early after affair with pupil's dad). Kept us amused for hours, so no YANBU. Your DH clearly has no imagination!

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 30-Aug-11 18:10:35

Our most used on is called Jane but we call her Blod(wen), she has a slight Welsh accent.
I love her more than anything else in the car.
We have a friend who won't use a woman's voice. He absolutely refuses to be told how to drive or be given directions by a woman [bonkers]

QOD Tue 30-Aug-11 18:10:36

My sat nav is called "Tina Tina"

How weird that I am clearly - not weird at all!

Andrewofgg Tue 30-Aug-11 18:13:43

Ours is called Miss because she sounds like what we used to call a schoolmarm.

Can you still get silly voices for them? Like Mrs Thatcher so you can hear her say Keep left or Blair beginning every instruction with Look - or has that fad died the death?

CurrySpice Tue 30-Aug-11 18:16:50

Jane is the name that TomTom gives its default female voice so that's what we call her too. Either that or "Fucking Jane" when she gets bossy!

minipie Tue 30-Aug-11 18:23:35

grin ours is called Polly too mymumdom - do you have a Garmin by any chance?

greensnail Tue 30-Aug-11 18:29:18

Ours is called Kathy. We refused to have Jane as my parents have her and seem a little obsessed with her.

belgo Tue 30-Aug-11 18:29:59

YANBU. Ours is called 'Lady in the heaven'.

potbellyqueen Tue 30-Aug-11 18:31:24

My sat nav is called Sean <waves to GwendolineMaryLacey> My DH hates Sean as he quite often interrupts in the middle of a conversation. The car is called The Wagon or Big Big Brown (the DC's name). I don't talk to the car but I do talk to Sean.

spudmasher Tue 30-Aug-11 18:33:30

Emiline guides the spud household.
Named by the dc.

SecretSquirrels Tue 30-Aug-11 18:33:37

We have Ken who is Australian

OddBoots Tue 30-Aug-11 18:35:58

dh is a radio/audio type engineer so recorded dd so she is the voice we usually have. If it isn't her though we have 'Kathy' as it is voiced by the delightful and ace 'posh Radio 4 lady' Kathy Clugston.

CognitiveDissident Tue 30-Aug-11 18:41:52

Ours is called Sheila too. Sheila is a trifle eccentric,and tries to include the M25 in every journey we make, even if it's to the village shops. She's also prone to panic attacks at busy intersections, and fails to grasp the concept of one-way streets.

I hate Sheila. Navigation was my job until DP outsourced it.

stoatie Tue 30-Aug-11 18:43:34

We also have SatNav Sean <waves to GwendolineMaryLacey and potbellyqueen> with his charming Irish voice, he is much gentler than my colleagues SatNav (different make) which gets very cross if she doesn't turn round, Sean merely reroutes. Worrying he has been know to leap off the screen on occasions - surely not a reflection on my driving grin

whattodoo Tue 30-Aug-11 18:45:11

My dd named ours lulu. She said tomtom was silly. When she's not around I call him Tim.
My pillow is called Wayne.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now