Talk

Advanced search

to think that just because you are a twin does not mean you have to shove it down everyone's throat all the fecking time?!

(17 Posts)
mamadivazback Tue 30-Aug-11 16:05:40

I just don't get it and it is doing my head in at the moment, not particularly sure why right enough just feeling generally hormonal and wound up about nothing-ness...

Between bloody Jedward and some twins I have come across in a few places (online and RL) it seems to be the in thing to spend every fecking breath you take repeating dumb ass phrases such as 'I know what are we like, you'd think we were twins or something grin' or feeling the need to let everyone know 'I am a twin'.

I just find it sad that some people are willing to/want to be labelled as nothing more than X's twin, I have twin sisters yes but I would be a bit miffed if they grew up doing this because quite frankly it's pathetic past child-hood.

Is it just me a moody cow or is anyone else getting a bit puzzled by this (lack of) thinking?

whackamole Tue 30-Aug-11 16:07:46

Just you being a moody cow I think.

Although Jedward would drive anyone to drink!

MillyR Tue 30-Aug-11 16:12:39

Not being a twin myself, I do think being a twin is very exciting. Twins are about to start at DD's school and she does think it is a glamorous event.

RealityVonCrapp Tue 30-Aug-11 16:14:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oggy Tue 30-Aug-11 16:14:16

I have known a fair few twins in my life and none of them have ever behaved the way described in the OP. Maybe it's just people you know confused

AgentZigzag Tue 30-Aug-11 16:16:25

They're just showing how much being a twin is important to them and their identity.

Harmless enough.

<<offers OP choc or wine for feeling grumpy, but you can only have one or the other, d'y'think I'm made of money??>>

<<shit host>>

HMTheQueen Tue 30-Aug-11 16:16:55

I have quite a few twins in my family and they all downplay it. But when I was at school, the three sets of twins in our class really played up to it - and it was seen as quite a glamourous thing.

TiggyD Tue 30-Aug-11 16:17:21

Kill one.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 30-Aug-11 16:18:21

YANBU... it's the sibling equivalent of 'I'm eighty-four, you know'. They presumably think it makes them more interesting. hmm

AMumInScotland Tue 30-Aug-11 16:18:26

Yeah well Jedward have made their "career" (for lack of a better term) out of being twins, so I don't think it's surprising they keep reminding people about it. We might forget what they are "famous" for if they don't mention it for twenty minutes or so. grin

Pawsnclaws Tue 30-Aug-11 16:21:48

Oh I think it's so very special and am very jealous of twins and mums of twins. My oldest son is a twin (sadly his brother didn't survive) and it's taken me a long time to get used to feeling very sad when I get to know other twin parents. And despite all the research no-one really really knows why twins occur, so I do think it's a bit of a marvel of nature.

So for that reason only YABU (but maybe I'll allow you a special dispensation in relation to the dreadful Jedward!)

eicosapentaenoic Tue 30-Aug-11 16:22:27

diva This is about you and your twin sisters, ain't it. Are they actually going on about it themselves, or is it everybody else eg that daft dressing-them-up matching thing, school harping on about their relationship etc? I am mum of twins. TBH they didn't even realise for years and it's just other people's dopey reaction that makes them think about it. As far as they and I are concerned, they are sisters and very different. Tell us more.

eicosapentaenoic Tue 30-Aug-11 16:24:27

Paws I am truly sorry. Please accept my heartful affection and support.

eicosapentaenoic Tue 30-Aug-11 16:25:23

sorry, heartfelt - losing the will to spell

KaFayOLay Tue 30-Aug-11 16:29:45

Do you dislike your twin Diva?

I have neither seen or spoken to my identical twin for years.

I find it very liberating to be perceived as a singleton grin

bubby64 Tue 30-Aug-11 16:34:07

Sorry, but of the mum of twins, I do like to think of them as having a special relationship, especially as mine are ID,... but they think of it as having a personal custom made punchbag for life, or so it often seems to me. There are 3 other sets of twins in their class of 19 kids, (hmm people are saying there was something in the water here at the time!), and all of them seem to spend an inordinate amount of time fighting with their sibling! Maybe this will change when they get older...mind you, if they ended up like Jedward, I'd disown them!smile

MrsRobertDuvall Tue 30-Aug-11 17:58:01

Dh is a twin and doesn't speak to him.
No relationship there at all.
He has 2 other sets of twins in his siblings......they don't have a bond either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now