Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be feeling scared about my smear test result?

(13 Posts)
LRDTheFeministDragon Tue 30-Aug-11 14:26:28

What the title says, really! I just got back my results and it's a 'borderline' result so I need to go back again.

I know rationally that it says an abnormal smear is usually fine and not a sign of cancer. But I'm 26 and it's the first time, so I am a bit stunned and scared. I did read the leaflet, but I'm not quite taking it in. And googling scared me more, because I am a giant wuss.

Is it daft to feel nervous or would you/did you, too? If you all think I am BU, mock me heartily and I'll feel a lot better! wink

Tchootnika Tue 30-Aug-11 14:32:59

LRD - if I had more time and wit to hand then I'd mock you heartily, believe me, wink
... but I don't, so I'll just say, have been in the same situation, at the same age: It's stressful and a pain... (obv) - but don't worry. Chill until you get next results - there's nowt else you can do, love.
brew

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 30-Aug-11 14:33:04

YANBU to feel nervous. I had this situation nearly 30 years ago, did need treatment (cold coagulation) and have been fine ever since, including giving birth twice with no problems, if that's any reassurance?

TruthSweet Tue 30-Aug-11 14:37:17

I had my first abnormal smear at 25 and had a colposcopy (camera up your fanjo!) but by the time the colposcopy was done the abnormality had gone.

Flash forward 3 DDs and 6 years and I am about to go to have a pre-surgical assessment to have 3 severe diskaryosis areas removed under a GA and I am cacking myself. Sorry I can't be more optimistic but hey it's not cancer so I'm very grateful grin

I really hope you get the all clear but please, please keep on top of your smears. I had long gaps with out smears as I was pg so didn't have them as regularly as I needed so what could have been a quick treatment in clinic is a op under GA.

Insomnia11 Tue 30-Aug-11 14:50:48

Don't be scared.

I first had an abnormal smear at 23, borderline changes which just went away. I then had normal smears until I was 33 after DD2 was born. I went for a colposcopy and they found CIN1 changes so recommended no treatment was required. Had regular smears (6m + 6m then 1 year) since, and on the third one I had to go back again, had a colposcopy and they found CIN1 + CIN2. Because of the CIN2s they recommended I should have treatment, and I just had a loop biopsy last week (10mm of cervical cells were removed).

I was a little worried and stressed about the procedure but for me it was no worse than the colposcopy. I've had dental treatment which is much worse! The only downside is it is recommended to not have intercourse for a few weeks due to risk of infection.

The way I see it is, once you are on their radar, as long as you keep going back for your smears and other appointments it is very unlikely that you will get cervical cancer.

Tchootnika Tue 30-Aug-11 14:52:28

Should have added, of course YANBU for being a bit worried, but try not to, if possible - and stop that Googling now!
FWIW, amongst my good friends, abnormal seems to be more normal than normal.

LRDTheFeministDragon Tue 30-Aug-11 14:54:59

Thanks all! smile You are wonderful.

Tchoot - time? wit? What are they? wink

OLKN - yes, very reassuring, thanks!

*truth - eek, good luck! It is very kind of you to post when this probably seems a bit silly in comparison.

insomnia - thanks for posting. I'd not thought of it like that - that there's an upside to being on their radar - but you are right and that makes me feel loads better

LRDTheFeministDragon Tue 30-Aug-11 14:56:05

Cross-posted - thanks tchoot. I had no idea how much/little unusual 'abnormal' was before.

Cheria Tue 30-Aug-11 15:00:34

YANBU but try not to worry. I have had several abnormal smears which have even led to biopsies on the cervix, but both biopsies (done several years apart) were fine.

I lost a lot of energy worrying about the first abnormal smear, but now they pretty much all come back abnormal and I have to do extra tests each time. And, as I said, biopsies twice.

PamBeesly Tue 30-Aug-11 15:03:57

LRD yanbu to be nervous. I have had lots of friends and sis and sil who had borderline and had gone back and all was well. (I think the majority of borderline results are ok, they are just extra extra cautious) Keep us up to date x

LRDTheFeministDragon Tue 30-Aug-11 15:07:27

cheria Ah, ok. Maybe some of us just have quirky cervixes (if that's a word!)!

I just panic stupidly about cancer because both my grannies died of it and both of them got the 'it's just a routine abnomality we're checking out' first ... I know all kinds of cancer are different but I get a sinking feeling.

Whew.

Right, thinking about kittens and puppies now. Kittens and puppies ...

pam - thanks!

electra Tue 30-Aug-11 15:09:10

I'm 31 and I've had two borderline smears since November last year. So I have to keep going back every 6 months.

I don't think a borderline result is anything to worry about - it's not enough of a problem to require treatment so all I can do (and you) is to have it monitored. Having abnormal cells does not necessarily mean that you will go on to develop cancer - it means in years to come you could possibly if the situation isn't monitored or treated if necessary.

Cheria Tue 30-Aug-11 15:32:36

My dodgy smears come back because of HPV - at some point was infected apparently, though wasn't aware of it until I got the smears back. HPV may cause cervical cancer, but it doesn't mean that it will develop into cancer IYSWIM.

I'll be having yearly smears pretty much for life now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now