Talk

Advanced search

To think that "flaming" means....

(30 Posts)
seeker Tue 30-Aug-11 13:51:14

.....a vicious unprovoked online attack, and only on Mumsnet does it mean "disagreeing with"?

scurryfunge Tue 30-Aug-11 13:51:57

woof

giyadas Tue 30-Aug-11 13:52:35

grin scurry

scrambedeggs Tue 30-Aug-11 13:52:35

no, flaming generally means disagreeing with quite vociferously

seeker Tue 30-Aug-11 13:52:55

Miaow to you and the horse you rode inon.

TandB Tue 30-Aug-11 13:56:02

Bully!

giyadas Tue 30-Aug-11 13:56:20

<<chucks chicken nuggets>>

Whatmeworry Tue 30-Aug-11 13:57:58

Flaming is a vociferous disagreement, usually including abuse of the poster. What counts as flaming seems to be how "sensitive" the subject area/Flamee is.

IMO the word that is used too widely on MN is "troll", as this is often seems to be used just to slight someone who disagrees.

scuzy Tue 30-Aug-11 13:58:53

oh i'd murder a chicken nugget followed by a yogurt!!

giyadas Tue 30-Aug-11 14:00:29

<<prods whatmeworry with pitchfork>>
<<deprives her of yogurt>>

AnnieLobeseder Tue 30-Aug-11 14:04:48

Does a thread about a thread about a thread cancel or triple the bad etiquette rule?

Pinot Tue 30-Aug-11 14:07:39

grin

cory Tue 30-Aug-11 14:08:07

<goes back to work and leaves the whole of MN to do CC for...oh, at least 5 mins...>

fluffles Tue 30-Aug-11 14:10:36

i think a mn flaming is where somebody asks one question and has their entire life, parenting style and relationship pulled apart by the respondents.

i haven't seen it on any other forum i'm on (but then other forums i'm on are about particular hobbies/sports and not quite so personal as mn topics)

Filibear Tue 30-Aug-11 14:23:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

mumsamilitant Tue 30-Aug-11 15:54:38

Just take no notice or flame em back!!!! I usually opt for telling them to piss off back to pendant corner flaming em back grin

ThePathanKhansWoman Tue 30-Aug-11 16:48:21

Can i have a Bananna? Please.

youarekidding Tue 30-Aug-11 17:03:16

I think 'flaming' is when 1 poster makes a rather vicious remark, not just disagreeing but doing it cruelly and often personally, and then the MN sheep all pile on and add there 2 pennithworth.

Usually goes like this.

YABU
YABU, you over reacted a little
YABU, you overreacted
YABU you over reacted and are a shit mum
YABU you over reacted, are a shit mum and will scar your child for life
YABU, over reacted, shit, scar child, not fit to be parent, etc etc

then every other poster joins in.

The AIBU? Probably to have shouted at my DC for something minor or something we equally all do.

it's never happened to me though no seree! grin

youarekidding Tue 30-Aug-11 17:13:57

FFS should have read the other 2 threads first.

seeker you are absolutly and unresoundedly NBU. grin

VeraCanSignChocolateAndWine Tue 30-Aug-11 17:14:04

I think that generally a "flaming" is provoked, usually by the shite ridiculous comment that people disagree with. But in a few cases the Flamee (new word that) has no idea how ridiculous their comment was. So may feel it was unprovoked.

I'm gonna have my yoghurt before my nuggets btw.

Well, woof to you, lady! <flounces>

Witchofthenorth Tue 30-Aug-11 18:48:34

Do you think I could shoehorn "well woof to you lady!" into RL conversations? Please say yes, it made my really shit day better! <shuffles off to eat lots of yoghurt and chunks of cheese, the chicken nuggets can fuck off>

WoofToYouTooLady Tue 30-Aug-11 19:33:51

heheheh

Nice namechange <applauds, wishes she'd thought of it first>

Vallhala Tue 30-Aug-11 19:44:55

It doesn't really matter if the intended victim subject of the flaming never bothers to read so much as the first syllable of the offending thread, does it?

Woof.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now