Talk

Advanced search

Maggie goes on a diet

(8 Posts)
SouthernFriedTofu Mon 29-Aug-11 22:59:43

AIBU to think what the fuck?

The book is about a 14 year old but written in rhyme, from the article.

One apparent source of their ire is the fact that, although the book is about a 14-year-old, Amazon pegs the reading level at kids between ages 4 and 8. The Barnes & Noble website says the age range for the book is 6 to 12.

Should children be worried about going on diets to make assholes who bully them like them better? If a 10 year old if fat it's not the 10 year olds fault so I can't see how this helps or who it is meant to help?

belledechocchipcookie Mon 29-Aug-11 23:01:55

It's self published I think, and very ill thought through.There's been a few threads on this 'book'.

SouthernFriedTofu Mon 29-Aug-11 23:02:00

NOthing to see here. Just realised its already being discussed. will search then post in future

squeakytoy Mon 29-Aug-11 23:03:39

Without reading the book it is hard to judge. I dont think any child enjoys being fat, whether bullied or not, and lets face it, other kids can be bloody cruel, and WILL bully a child for being fat.

It may not be the childs fault that they are fat at 10, but if their parents are unwilling or unable to help them, then this book (if written sympatheticaly and educationally with the right information) could be very helpful for them.

There are possibly many overweight kids who know they are overweight, and DO want to do something about it, but have been shushed by their parents with "no, you look lovely as you are" etc..

slightlyunbalanced Mon 29-Aug-11 23:04:25

I just wonder where the boy version is. Or is it only girls who need to diet?

squeakytoy Mon 29-Aug-11 23:06:18

Fair point slightly, but then the book could be aimed at both sexes. It may be, I dont know.

slightlyunbalanced Mon 29-Aug-11 23:07:22

I don't know any boys called Maggie.

SouthernFriedTofu Mon 29-Aug-11 23:17:44

I don't think it would upset me if in the context of a regular story the main charachter lost a bit of weight. Its the fact that its written on a child's level and is called "maggie goes on a diet" urgh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now