Talk

Advanced search

to think that NOT having a tattoo is more unusual than having a tattoo if you are under, say, 40 and live in the UK?

(64 Posts)
bibbitybobbityhat Mon 29-Aug-11 22:54:25

This is certainly my perception.

Am I wrong or am I right?

Enraha Mon 29-Aug-11 22:56:01

I disagree

pozzled Mon 29-Aug-11 22:57:35

I think you are wrong. But basing that mostly on my circle of friends and family, who are not necessarily a representative sample.

Meglet Mon 29-Aug-11 22:57:36

Maybe under 30 / 25?

I have 5, I'm 37. Most people my age are more sensible than me.

MrsReasonable Mon 29-Aug-11 22:57:51

I think you are wrong, the tatooed are definitely a minority.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Mon 29-Aug-11 22:58:22

I disagree also but it is an interesting point.

If I fit the demographic for the area that I live in then I would have more tats than children/hanging baskets/cats/dogs.

CarnivalBizarre Mon 29-Aug-11 22:59:05

I'm only just under 40 and don't have any tattoos and neither does my DH but the vast majority of our friends of the same age do - and very recent tattoos, not ones that were done when they were younger

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 29-Aug-11 22:59:07

I have 2 at the age of 25.......but don't want any more

worraliberty Mon 29-Aug-11 22:59:55

I agree. I'm 42 and I know very few people apart from myself who don't have a tattoo.

I have a 28yr friend whose name is Sarah (not her real name) and she's got her son's name tattooed on her wrist right above her hand.

Trouble is, everyone thinks it's her own name as her son's called Sam.

GreenEyesandNiceHam Mon 29-Aug-11 23:00:08

I wholeheartedly agree

TakeMeDrunkImHome Mon 29-Aug-11 23:00:27

I live in Lancashire. In a very very downtrodden area. Businesses closed down no jobs no work etc. The only person I know who has a tattoo is my father and he is 69 in september and his tat says my mums name and he had it done it 17. It's green now. (Bear that in mind tattoo people, they turn green and look aged!)

Bohica Mon 29-Aug-11 23:01:14

I agree, I wish I didn't have them but I have 2.

1st was peer pressure and 2nd was V drunk on a sunny day out.

I hate them now & deeply regret them, thye don't glow in the dark these days.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Mon 29-Aug-11 23:01:30

*at 17

Birdsgottafly Mon 29-Aug-11 23:02:28

I also think that you are wrong.

In some areas of the country tattoos are more popular than others, so more people have them than don't. But across the UK, more people don't have them, than do.

The same with piercings (not standard ear piercing).

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Mon 29-Aug-11 23:02:52

Tattoos, died hair, ears pierced, we all modify our bodies in different ways.

Yabu

ZillionChocolate Mon 29-Aug-11 23:03:00

My sister and one friend have them, no one else I'm close to does. I'm 30.

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 29-Aug-11 23:08:39

Jandthebean - I am not judging. I just think it is more common to have a tattoo than not these days. Am I being unreasonable to think that? The question has nothing to do with hair dye or piercings.

queenmaeve Mon 29-Aug-11 23:14:57

I'm 34. I don't know a single relative, friend or work collegue with a tatoo. Male or female. Unless they've got them somewhere I cant see grin The woman in the fruit & veg shop does though.

jasper Mon 29-Aug-11 23:15:28

bbh I agree

FreudianSlipper Mon 29-Aug-11 23:16:36

i am 39 and nearly everyone i know my age has one

i am glad i resisted to follow fashion. most tattoos like rubbish. i love really good tattoos but many just look tacky

VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Aug-11 23:17:34

As midwife I see a wide range of naked women from all walks of life, most under 40. I would say that the tattoos are definitely in the minority.

Tyr Mon 29-Aug-11 23:17:58

I think it depends where you are. Where I live, nearly everyone has them. A couple of my neighbours have so many that they look like AA road maps.

squeakytoy Mon 29-Aug-11 23:18:17

I would agree with the OP. Almost every female I know has a tattoo, (I am 42).

Queenmaeve I would bet a lot more than you think have them, they just keep them hidden.

I actually know more men without them than women. My husband being one. He hates tattoos.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Mon 29-Aug-11 23:20:06

I don't know. I think it depends where you live. I'm from a scruffy ex-mining town originally, and practically everyone there is sporting some body art grin

I live in a very posh village now (and am probably lowering the house prices just by being here wink) and there's not a tattoo in sight.

<shrug> draw your own conclusions. I can only say what I see. I speculate not on why it appears to be so.

Hatesponge Mon 29-Aug-11 23:25:06

I would say under 30 rather than under 40.

I'm 39 - I don't have one, thinking of 5 other friends who are the same age as me, 3 don't have any, 2 do.

However most of my friends who are under 35 have them, and of the ones in their 20s I can't think of any who don't.

Similarly with men I've been out with - most have been older than me - no tattoos (apart from one who had it done for £20 when he was drunk and then spent several £100s having it removed) but those my age/younger - tattoos.

I'm in the London suburbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now