Talk

Advanced search

To swell up with irritation and frustration every time I read a thread about lending money?

(14 Posts)
AKMD Mon 29-Aug-11 21:22:37

It's like reading a terrible novel over and over again - the OP has lent brother/DP/SIL/DM/whoever a large sum of money that they haven't seen a penny of again. Recipient of said vast sum of money spends like a king and OP gets annoyed but 'doesn't know what to do' about the next request/demand/hint/whine for 'more help' for their 'struggling' charity case. AIBU to hide all these threads as they give me a overwhelming sense of wanting to throw something at the OP and tattoo 'do not lend money you can't afford to lose' and 'do not throw good money after bad' across their eyeballs?

I am aware that this is a pointless AIBU and a thread about several other threads [shrugs].

HummelBoy Mon 29-Aug-11 21:25:57

Farking hell, you must have very little on your mind.grin

worraliberty Mon 29-Aug-11 21:26:30

YABU

No-one's eyes are that big grin

slightlyunbalanced Mon 29-Aug-11 21:28:30

Tell them to all go on Judge Judy so we can all watch grin

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Mon 29-Aug-11 21:32:59

The old agage 'neither a lender nor a borrower be' seems to have gone out of fashion and it's long overdue for revival.

As many of those threads illustrate, the unscrupulous can fool a lot some of the people all some of the time - until the victims come here.

Gastonladybird Mon 29-Aug-11 21:38:28

Yes and similarly some where someone (usually in family) makes some unreasonable request (I move into your house and you can live in garage, you sell your kidney to fund a weekend to Ibiza, I live with you rent free til 2013) and it takes 16 pages pf people saying just say no for message to get through for op to grow a pair..

AKMD Mon 29-Aug-11 21:47:35

I am so tempted to start an 'obvious answers' thread... Examples:

YABU to lend anyone money, ever, and expect to see it again.

YABU to slag off your SIL for bottle feeding. It's a perfectly acceptable substitute to breastfeeding and really none of your business anyway.

YANBU, your MIL is obviously a sociopath and your DH needs to grow a pair.

T'would save a lot of thread repetition.

AgentZigzag Mon 29-Aug-11 21:53:18

Families can be very manipulative because they know exactly which buttons to press.

It's all very well to say grow a pair, but if the person who's doing the lending had the confidence to say no, don't you think they would have done?

There's much more to it than just the simple view you have.

I think you should take it up with the OP on the thread, instead of starting a shitty thread behind their back.

Not nice.

TheDreamWeaver Mon 29-Aug-11 21:56:05

I've seen Judge Judy... grin
She--shouts--says NEVER lend without the agreement in writing, because everyone on there says "It was a gift"

groak Mon 29-Aug-11 21:58:32

as y gran nce said, advice is what you ask for when you know the8 *answer but you don't like it grin

Birdsgottafly Mon 29-Aug-11 22:04:12

Some people think that if they treat others with kindness/love then it will be reciprocated. To their cost they find out otherwise. I lent money to a good friend who would have been homeless had i not, she hasn't paid me back, and i know that she won't. The only good that has come out of it is that her DC's still have their home, so i comfort myself with that.

It isn't easy to say no to your DC's (grown up) or when there are children that are going to be badly affected. But i agree you should write it off and never lend again.

fedupofnamechanging Mon 29-Aug-11 22:04:35

AKMD, I could have written your post, having accidentally strayed into the thread you are thinking of earlier this evening.

Some people seem to have 'doormat - please walk all over me' written on their heads.

Morloth Mon 29-Aug-11 22:16:46

Meh, some people enjoy the martyr role. Anyone stupid enough to keep throwing good money after bad deserves to lose it.

SiamoFottuti Mon 29-Aug-11 22:22:23

At least half the threads around here could be answered with "grow a fucking spine and/or stop whining", to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now