Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Angst already!

(7 Posts)
GeorgeT Mon 29-Aug-11 18:52:09

Will be hosting Xmas Dinner for my family this year. Mum over from Oz and my sister and her two children are joining us yet already feel a tad anxious. My sister has a 4 year old who is aggressive and rude and frankly quite a handful. How do we manage this....when he hits or kicks one of our children which is most likely? My sister believes he is a typical boy and his behaviour is normal. it is not typical of the many boys we know.
My sister has already made a couple of derogatory comments re; the time we eat and what I am cooking - (I am doing roast turkey) Hoping for some advice fellow MNetters

worraliberty Mon 29-Aug-11 18:55:58

The next time she makes a derogatory comment, tell her you'll see her after dinner.

defrocked Mon 29-Aug-11 18:58:21

if she makes comments, you say if you dont like it, im sure the local beefeater can book you in, smiley face. Keep saying that, she will soon get fed up. If anyone criticises me, I always say if you dont like it .... smiley face

if the kid hits yours, punish him in the way you would punish your own - unless you are happy to have your kids whacked and kicked.

gillybean2 Mon 29-Aug-11 19:01:22

Tell her that it is your tradition to have turkey at whatever time you do and if she'd rather do her own thing, eat before they come, or host xmas dinner that's fine with you.

Re the 4 year old tell him and his mother very clearly that the rules in your house are that no-one hits or kick people. If he wants to do that he can jolly well go home. One warning and then wave bye bye to your sister and dn...

onebigchocolatemess Mon 29-Aug-11 21:02:26

I think you need to take some deep breaths and remind yourself why (on earth?!) you have invited her anyway if you're already feeling as you do?

It is still months away!

The only way is honest by the sounds of it. Next comment, knock it on the head.

As for the 4yr old, he will be another 5months older by Christmas and could have grown up a bit (and out of it) by then? But as others have said - state the rules of the house at the first sign of trouble, and ask your hubby to keep a close eye on them to nip any trouble in the bud (I assume you will be stuck in the kitchen...;0)

spanishbint Mon 29-Aug-11 23:34:13

if the ds kicks off tell ur sis you will truss him up like a turkey and sit him on the naughty step

GeorgeT Fri 02-Sep-11 12:32:49

Thanks for all your advice and support...I too heart from you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now