Talk

Advanced search

dating someone who has behaved improperly

(332 Posts)
MitchiestInge Sun 28-Aug-11 22:29:08

eg: if you were a patient in hospital and someone involved in your care got your number and asked you out, how bad would it be to go out with them? if they were nice obviously

I've been quite good at ignoring his calls, not that he has been very pestery, but today made arrangements to meet next week so on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being unspeakably stupid and 1 being barely registrable on idiocy scale how bad is it?

FabbyChic Sun 28-Aug-11 22:30:24

Sorry so you were a patient and they took your number from confidential files? I'd report him so he lost his job it's abuse of his position.

HeadfirstForHalos Sun 28-Aug-11 22:30:41

If he is no longer involved in your care I would say go for it.

BimboNo5 Sun 28-Aug-11 22:32:49

Its not the done thing if he knows you purely from being a patient, i.e he got your number from confidential files etc. If you were once a patient and he met you out and about it is different entirely

bubblesincoffee Sun 28-Aug-11 22:33:05

If you are no longer a patient, I don't think it's bad at all. He may have done something slightly against the rules, but if it all works out it will become no more than an amusing story to be told at the wedding. grin

Onemorning Sun 28-Aug-11 22:33:19

His actions have been inappropriate, unprofessional and quite possibly illegal. So I think you're scoring an 8 on the Stupidometer...

BimboNo5 Sun 28-Aug-11 22:33:45

He could lose his registration if he has behaved inappropriatley though (i.e getting your number from his place of work), just beware

FabbyChic Sun 28-Aug-11 22:34:28

Ask yourself how many others he has done this too?

ImperialBlether Sun 28-Aug-11 22:34:49

He was involved in your medical care, then. And he went to your files and got your phone number and has been calling you. You've been ignoring his calls but he's still continued to call you.

OK some questions.

Why didn't he ask you in the hospital if he could contact you when you were out?

Do you actually like him?

Did you feel guilt-tripped into accepting a date?

kerrymumbles Sun 28-Aug-11 22:34:51

did he administer your anti-psychotic medication, plaster your broken leg or give you an enema?

makes a difference really

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Sun 28-Aug-11 22:35:50

'Involved in your care?'

I would freak that they'd taken my number from my medical records. After treatment was over and you were no longer a patient, I wouldn't think that it would matter so much if they were 'Involved in your care'. But how they got your number is creepy. Particularly if it's someone who operated on you.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Sun 28-Aug-11 22:36:57

grin Kerrymumbles

MitchiestInge Sun 28-Aug-11 22:39:00

I was still in hospital at the time, it was quite flattering. He's nice but yes I wonder if there are assorted bits of patients decomposing all over his house - in cupboards or under the floorboards or something.

I do like him, am just not sure how bad his behaviour is. Some people say it is Very Bad, others think not so bad. Obviously have no mind of my own.

GreenEyesandHam Sun 28-Aug-11 22:40:44

In my opinion this has got 'wrong' written all over it, indeed even 'wrong' written right through it, like a stick of BlackWrong Rock

BimboNo5 Sun 28-Aug-11 22:40:53

Bubbles your post totally plays down how serious it actually is. The governing bodies of health care professionals certainly wouldn't think of it as nothing more than an amusing tale to tell at your wedding...

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Sun 28-Aug-11 22:41:14

'I was still in hospital at the time'

OK. That would make me uncomfortable.

purplepidjin Sun 28-Aug-11 22:42:02

Sounds a lot like gross misconduct to me

I would wonder how many people they had tried this with

I would also be very wary of someone who kept calling until I answered the phone

bruxeur Sun 28-Aug-11 22:42:15

Well technically that's a career-ender for a Dr, probably for a nurse too. Dunno re the other PAMs.

DuelingFanjo Sun 28-Aug-11 22:42:58

how did he get your number?

BimboNo5 Sun 28-Aug-11 22:44:09

Guidance for nurses and their professional boundaries here

emsyj Sun 28-Aug-11 22:44:29

So did he get your number from a confidential file or from you personally?

If the former, that is very very wrong (and he knows it). I would not go near him. Breach of confidentiality is a very serious matter.

If the latter, he has overstepped a boundary and I would proceed with extreme caution (and be aware that, as others have said, he may have previous form and you may not be the only former patient he is 'dating').

ImperialBlether Sun 28-Aug-11 22:44:38

In what capacity did he know you? Was he your doctor? Your nurse? Your physio?

Why did he need to go to the files for your contact number if you were still in hospital?

FabbyChic Sun 28-Aug-11 22:45:35

YOu never answered my question OP? How many more vulnerable woman has he done this to?

Eh?

messymammy Sun 28-Aug-11 22:45:52

A guy I trained with did exactly this and wasn't allowed to continue training as a nurse. A big big no no I'm afraid.

MmeLindor. Sun 28-Aug-11 22:46:36

Why were you ignoring his calls? Did you not want to go out with him?

And how involved in your care was he? <checks OP's name> Eek.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now