Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be irritated in the garden centre?

(40 Posts)
GoingToHelenaHandcart Sun 28-Aug-11 21:15:53

I was in the garden centre today - yep today, August - and they were just putting the finishing touches to their Christmas centre. At least 80 per cent of it was open for business already.

Who goes shopping for Christmassy stuff in August? I only like buying stuff when A) I can hang it up and enjoy it immediately or B) it's in the half price sale.

I found myself hrumphing my way round the garden centre, and bought nothing.

AIBU?

BleurghUna Sun 28-Aug-11 21:19:01

Gaaah! Garden centres irritate me all year round! YANBU

ChippingIn Sun 28-Aug-11 21:19:08

No - it really annoys me too. There's just no bloody need for it until November. Soon they'll just leave them there year round.

Euphemia Sun 28-Aug-11 21:20:34

People who have to spread the cost of Christmas over the coming four months' pay cheques start buying now. Seems reasonable to me.

thisisyesterday Sun 28-Aug-11 21:22:29

yanbu it's really unnecessary. it didn't used to be like that, and peopple still managed

i mean even if you have to spread the cost over the next few months you still don't need the place decorated like a feckin grotto to do so, or you could just save x amount each month and then shop at christmas.

FabbyChic Sun 28-Aug-11 21:22:33

Thats just too fucking early! August for god sake.

November yeah, but August bah humbug.

halcyondays Sun 28-Aug-11 21:24:54

I do pick up a few presents here and there, if I see a good bargain. But I just would not want to go out buying Xmas decs and suchlike in August. I love Christmas - when it's Christmas. Somebody must be buying this stuff now though, or they wouldn't bother.

DartsRus Sun 28-Aug-11 21:25:09

My DP works in a garden centre and he agrees with me that Xmas stuff shouldn't be out this soon. However, the stock will have had to be bought some time ago and there's always the problem of storage. (DP ordered the real Xmas trees sometime in Jan/Feb for delivery in Nov/Dec, anyone trying to order wholesale now would be out of luck.)

Lucky for him, he only manages an outdoor planteria section, not the whole centre.

Poshbaggirl Sun 28-Aug-11 21:26:28

I guess i'm one of only a few then that saves all the decorations and uses them year after year. Isnt that cunning! (if we are talking decorations that is)

GoingToHelenaHandcart Sun 28-Aug-11 21:27:59

LOL posh, I normally buy one or two new bits, but yes, keep most the tat stunning items for re-use.

But I NEVER go shopping for it when I should be wearing a bikini!

squeakytoy Sun 28-Aug-11 21:29:27

I would normally agree.. but seeing as I am sat here with the frigging fire on, it seems like Christmas isnt too far away....

GoingToHelenaHandcart Sun 28-Aug-11 21:31:02

Squeaky, you have a point.

I am contemplating making frikking soup!!!!!!!!! In August!!!!!!!!!

something is going very wrong in this world

defrocked Sun 28-Aug-11 21:32:03

if you have three months of it, it takes the specialness away from it

ddubsgirl Sun 28-Aug-11 21:57:41

was in local paper this week at the shop in town has done thier xmas display in the window :/

survivingsummer Sun 28-Aug-11 22:12:42

I think it is probably to compensate for the lack of planting stock at the moment - at least this is the case with my local garden centre anyway. All the plants are manky and most are half price as end of season. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to make their displays look sparkly to compensate!

Apparently lots of shops are getting their Christmas stock out early this year to get buyers 'in the mood' as people aren't spending.

DontGoCurly Sun 28-Aug-11 22:14:05

Yeh BAH HUMBUG.

The ugliness of Christmas should be contained in one month and shops should be fined for spreading the filth into other months of the year.

Salmotrutta Sun 28-Aug-11 22:18:42

Could have been worse - they could have been advertising Capri Sun as Fruit Juice.

redexpat Sun 28-Aug-11 22:20:06

If there wasn't a market they wouldn't do it. Same reason why all the back to school stuff is up before the kids have broken up.

People are hard up and need to spread the cost.

redexpat Sun 28-Aug-11 22:22:01

SAlmotrutta grin pmsl!!

ProcrastinatorGeneral Sun 28-Aug-11 22:23:50

DontGoCurly

A whole month? No! Three days either side of the day is more than enough! Sodding hateful time of the year.

BeerTricksPotter Sun 28-Aug-11 22:24:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Salmotrutta Sun 28-Aug-11 22:25:49

That thread was surely a classic - hilariously bonkers. grin

GreenEyesandHam Sun 28-Aug-11 22:26:09

Irritated in the Garden Centre

Sounds like a eupha-wotsit

Salmotrutta Sun 28-Aug-11 22:26:46

Oh - and if I saw Christmas stuff out now I'd stomp out in a huff.

DartsRus Sun 28-Aug-11 22:29:04

survivingsummer there is no lack of planting stock. Your local garden centre is probably not very good. My dp would not have manky stock on display.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now