Talk

Advanced search

to let ds attend a farm-themed party in a costume that looks as if...

(8 Posts)
lecce Sun 28-Aug-11 19:48:56

a very poorly-coordinated 4 year old has made it, because that, in fact, is what it is?

He wants to go as a cow and had the brilliant idea that he could get some old clothes and cover them with black and white tubes that he would have coloured with his felt-tips hmm. He was so enthusiastic but was finally persuaded that painting the outfit would work better, great though his plan was. He was so excited, insisted on doing it himself and the result...is not so good. A total mess. Even dh, who is usually relentlessly positive about everything ds does looked a little hmm at it.

A little background - ds has been hugely relucant until very recently to do anything remotely crafty. He would cry to have his hand washed as soon as paint went near them (though I have never been obsessive about wiping) and all attempts at drawing were scribbles until a few weeks ago. As a result, I am really pleased with his new-found enthusiasm and that is why I let him have free-rein with the costume, am now thinking that was maybe a mistake.

So what do I do - pretend a mystery accident befell it in the night and begin again/buy one? Brazen it out - the party is the child of a new acquaintance at his new school so I don't really know other people there and what their reactions may be, which makes me more nervous than if it were the party of an old friend. The third option is to try and make the headwear and mask that he is plannig (oh dear lord) really good (do them myself) to try and rectify it a little.

So what would you all do?

squeakytoy Sun 28-Aug-11 19:52:11

I would be let him wear it.. if he feels happy with it. And make him a nice mask. smile

JellyMould Sun 28-Aug-11 19:54:21

what sqeakytoy said. Let him wear it and tell everyone that he made it by himself. And tell him you're proud of him. And maybe make a nice mask.

MagicFingerGoesPop Sun 28-Aug-11 19:55:52

^^What they said. What a champ making his own costume! smile

joric Sun 28-Aug-11 20:22:51

Oh what a sweetheart! smile
Have you got time to order one of these? Scroll down for cow v cheap
If he is a bit hmm about wearing his creation get a long sleave White t-shirt and cut out wavy circles out of black felt or paper and stick them onto it all over... Wear with blackish trousers and add a tail with black card/ felt.

If DS wants to wear the outfit he made first I'd let him but would help out with a nice cow mask! grin
Oh and let him know what a star he is!

zukiecat Sun 28-Aug-11 20:27:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ilikepinkwine Sun 28-Aug-11 20:35:32

Here

It is great that he has discovered his creative side, have a quick word with the host parent to let them know how proud he is and that he did it all himself.

MadamDeathstare Sun 28-Aug-11 20:40:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now