Talk

Advanced search

Very tight SIL - regifts voucher issued 9 months ago - do I say something?

(78 Posts)
Shebeen Sun 28-Aug-11 17:03:15

My sister in law, who I have many cheap/tight stories about just gave my son a voucher for his birthday which was in August - the voucher was issued in November of 2010. I really want to say something to her - would you?

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sun 28-Aug-11 17:04:13

Yes.

I'd say "thank you."

And I'd take him to spend it.

raffle Sun 28-Aug-11 17:05:58

If it's not out of date then I wouldn't really mind. It's like giving him money, I would not be taking her to task over this.

SinicalSal Sun 28-Aug-11 17:06:09

No - what could you say

'the present you gave my son isn't good enough' ?

gailpottertilsleyplatt Sun 28-Aug-11 17:06:11

Maybe she's just very organized and forward plans.

chickenchops Sun 28-Aug-11 17:06:26

Has it expired?

Shebeen Sun 28-Aug-11 17:07:28

It expires in 3 months - was originally good for a year - he is only 10.

Flisspaps Sun 28-Aug-11 17:07:36

I wouldn't say anything. If she'd bought an actual item (eg a toy) you'd be none the wiser, would you?

joric Sun 28-Aug-11 17:09:14

Themagnificent!! grin
OP! It's money! Would you be upset if someone gave her a £10 note for her birthday (!) and she then gave your son the same note for his?

I'm not bothered about presents though... What does it matter?

hayleysd Sun 28-Aug-11 17:09:16

What has his age got to do with it? She may have bought a few in advance and just used it now, it's the thought that counts surely?

Shebeen Sun 28-Aug-11 17:10:04

I should add a bit of history to put this situation in context:

a few years ago my son won a small amount of money in a raffle. My SIL was present at the draw and took his cheque - she then said she lost it and never gave him the money - we weren't able to ge the cheque reissued.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sun 28-Aug-11 17:10:09

Well then, you've got 3 months to spend it. That is plenty of time.

Many people regift unwanted presents. It is very common. I bet if you liked her, this wouldn't even be an issue. Don't get yourself worked up about it. Your son has a voucher to spend. She gave it to him. It's fine.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sun 28-Aug-11 17:12:50

x-post - so this is TOTALLY about your dislike of her.

Re the cheque - That's a bugger for your son. How much was the cheque for? However - if it mattered that much to you, you could have pursued it. Found out if it had been cashed, taken action if it had. You have no evidence that she did not in fact lose it, do you? You chose to not do anything about it. Let it go.

MadameCastafiore Sun 28-Aug-11 17:13:02

I always do this - if someone gives DD a voucher se often asks to swap it for cash and then I just gift it on to someone else.

I'm not tight by the way just extremely lazy when it comes to havng to actually get my arse in gear to go to the shops.

PercyFilth Sun 28-Aug-11 17:15:36

As long as it hasn't expired, there is nothing to get shirty about.

Incidentally - I have on occasion bought new vouchers with soon-to-expire vouchers. I also did this at Waterstones when I had two separate vouchers and wanted to buy something online. They will only accept one voucher at a time for online purchases, so I went to one of their shops and bought a £20 voucher with my two £10 vouchers.

joric Sun 28-Aug-11 17:16:48

I think some very organised people do buy loads of these vouchers to give out for b'days throughout the year... Maybe she didn't know that they expired (bloody shop con).
I agree, you don't sound as if you like her that's all.

Salmotrutta Sun 28-Aug-11 17:16:48

Well, at least she got him something and you still have 3 months to redeem it!
Just make sure he gets out to spend it in time without making a fuss.

joric Sun 28-Aug-11 17:17:55

Percy! Good idea!!

diddl Sun 28-Aug-11 17:18:46

How did she take his cheque?

Were you not there?

If it was made out to him it was no good to her.

Why not get it cancelled & re issued?

banjaxedfilly Sun 28-Aug-11 17:18:56

Just for clarity, what is it you would say to her?

Talker2010 Sun 28-Aug-11 17:20:13

I used 2 vouchers last week that were 14 months out of date ... the shop said no problem

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Sun 28-Aug-11 17:21:14

On this YABU. He has 3 months to spend it.

On the cheque she took and 'lost' YANBU at all. Stealing money from a child is pathetic - if she genuinely lost it it was up to her to give him the cash it if you couldn't get it reissued.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Sun 28-Aug-11 17:21:45

Too many its blush

usualsuspect Sun 28-Aug-11 17:22:31

I would say thank you

zukiecat Sun 28-Aug-11 17:24:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now