Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect my pre baby body after 2DCs?

(57 Posts)
Revupk Sun 28-Aug-11 11:54:15

After a lot of struggling, Im approaching my pre-baby weight again but to my horror finding that I still have an enormous tummy. Is it all over for me now body wise and should I find happiness elsewhere? What are your experiences?

FabbyChic Sun 28-Aug-11 11:55:07

The tummy is the hardest thing to lose and it goes last.

Revupk Sun 28-Aug-11 12:10:21

And was it worth all the extra effort, hunger and pain?

FabbyChic Sun 28-Aug-11 12:11:46

nope

wingandprayer Sun 28-Aug-11 12:16:25

I lost a shed load of weight due to serious illness, down about a stone on when I got pregnant, and people were STILL asking me if I was expecting a third baby! The more weight I lose, the more obvious my stomach is, I actually look better and more balanced with a few extra pounds.

Pregnancy destroys the tone of stomach muscles and it's sometimes just not possible to ever restore your pre baby body. Perhaps some sessions with a personal trainer who can show you some exercises to retrain muscles would be more effective at losing the tummy? It's not just about dieting.

MrsVidic Sun 28-Aug-11 12:35:57

It's very doable- core excersizes, posture and regular exercise is a must

superv1xen Sun 28-Aug-11 12:40:11

are you exercising OP?

because you won't re gain any tone in the tummy area if you are just dieting.

pilates, swimming and good old sit ups and push ups will help.

DoMeDon Sun 28-Aug-11 12:44:32

I was fat before and fat now. My experience is I have an excuse - it's all baby weight you know wink

Justfeckinggoogleit Sun 28-Aug-11 12:48:24

What Mrs Vidic says.

You need to do some serious exercise to retone, not just lose weight but is very doable ( I've had 4 kids, completely flat stomach ).

SeymoreButts Sun 28-Aug-11 12:53:48

Doesn't everyone end up with excess skin on their tummy that only the surgeon's knife will shift? When I'm standing straight my belly looks like it's pre-baby, when I lean forward, it looks like it belongs to an 80 year old. <weeps>

ladyintheradiator Sun 28-Aug-11 13:01:49

Hmph this is me too. I am just a few lbs off pre-DC1 weight but oh boy do I look different. I walk lots, and run now and then, but rather half-heartedly... but yeah I reckon exercise is the key. I might start swimming but I'm not very good at it... Zumba maybe?

MorelliOrRanger Sun 28-Aug-11 13:20:27

I'm down to pre preg weight and some and I've still got my baby paunch - I guess its just a battle scar of having a baby (I'm proud of mine) smile

TheBride Sun 28-Aug-11 13:26:57

It depends how old you are when you have the kids as well. Skin loses elasticity as you age, so the stretched skin won't go back as well at 36 as at 18.

Exercise will tone your abs, so hold the whole lot flatter, but there's not much you can do about the skin.

Feminine Sun 28-Aug-11 13:27:01

I do Pilates every morning ,and the plank <<yawn>>

But it does worksmile

Look on Youtube for some examples of exercises to try...

I agree though,no matter how close to toned we get ,there will always be a little extra skin.

I think particularly if you are not very big and were blessed with large babies!

My excuse anyway grin

jellybeans208 Sun 28-Aug-11 13:39:53

I have no extra skin at all however I only weighed 9 stone 5 at 9 months pregnant so didnt really weigh a lot so that might off helped(although put on 2 and half stone from pre weight). I also push the buggy between 2 and 6 miles a day and have a very physical job.Additionally I did sit ups nightly for first couple of months after birth.

naturalbaby Sun 28-Aug-11 13:55:40

your body made a baby and it will never be the same. skin and muscles that stretched to hold a baby, placenta and load of fluid will not return to their former glory.
i am back to my pre baby weight (minus a couple of kg for breastfeeding) and still have bit of a belly.

Justfeckinggoogleit Sun 28-Aug-11 13:58:38

That's not true naturalbaby.

I had my children quite late ( last at 39) and with hard work, my stomach is firmer and flatter than it was at 18.
The skin is a bit wrinkly, but hey!

jellybeans208 Sun 28-Aug-11 14:00:37

Yeah thats not true at all lots of women look exactly the same after birth and dont look like they have had kids. It can definitely be done.

moaningminniewhingesagain Sun 28-Aug-11 14:05:26

I look just the same as I did before 2 children. But then I have always had a fat wobbly belly, so no change there grin

jellybeans208 Sun 28-Aug-11 14:11:22

I think thats the thing if you started of with a washboard stomach before pregnancy then your muscles will go back easily after as long as you dont put much weight on during pregnancies and you exercise a lot.

Justfeckinggoogleit Sun 28-Aug-11 14:23:36

Mine wasn't washboard pre kids.

It is post kids.
It simply requires work, and plenty of it. I ride which is amazing for your stomach muscles.

Revupk Sun 28-Aug-11 15:15:51

oh _ I havent even BEGUN to start worrying about saggy skin. Didnt have a washboard stomach before but was in decent shape nevertheless. How many crunches per day? 30? 100? 200?

electra Sun 28-Aug-11 15:18:17

My stomach took about 5 years to go back to normal!

jellybeans208 Mon 29-Aug-11 09:52:41

As many as you can do and work up. Dont strain yourself as then you will get injured and then will struggle with your daily life.

Tortu Mon 29-Aug-11 10:01:06

And what about breasts? Have just stopped breastfeeding and the sagging is frightening. The 'breastfeeding doesn't make your boobs sag' people were lying, weren't they?

Will up my pilates sessions for my stomach!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now