Talk

Advanced search

To HATE the beach and everthing that goes with it dh thinks i have issues!

(61 Posts)
mosschops30 Sat 27-Aug-11 21:37:34

i went to his watersports comp today, last time i went i was pg and hated it. Went today with the dcs and still hated ir.
I hate being cold, i hate it being windy, i dislike those women who sit in groups with their kids with their windbreakers/white stuff clothes/tousled hair/surfy jumpers and how they dont mind being there and their dcs play happily. I hate the feel of sand, i hate feeling dirty, i do not want to sleep in a bloody tent when i have a house, im not 5 its not fun!

Dh thinks i am too uptight and that i cant relax, and i think he has a point, i mean i could cope with the beach if it was in front of a 5* spa resort with a sun lounger and parasol. I like hotels, i like shopping, i like lunches and coffees and spas.

So aibu for not liking the other stuff? Is dh right? Am i an uptight freak who just cant chill? Or is anyone else like this?
(oh and im not slagging people off who do like this stuff, i just dont)

DogsBestFriend Sat 27-Aug-11 21:39:58

I was going to say YABU.

Then I read on.

Tents are for Boy Scouts, not for adult women with nice, warm, comfy houses.

YANBU!

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sat 27-Aug-11 21:40:11

I loathe the beach even in your ideal scenario. I can't bear sand, I am scared of fish and get bored easily.
I do like camping OTOH and don't know what white stuff gear is.
On balance, YANBU.

Empusa Sat 27-Aug-11 21:40:51

I wouldn't enjoy that either, and I love beaches! But they are best when it's hot and not too windy

defrocked Sat 27-Aug-11 21:40:57

you are daft

we used to go to the beach every single day of the summer as kids, there was me and my five cousins, mum, aunty, uncle and granny

and we would all sit there behind our windbreakers, enjoying every minute smile

i loved those days - helped that we lived two mins away

worraliberty Sat 27-Aug-11 21:42:09

You can't really be unreasonable for not liking something

But I suppose it's how you deal with it that matters.

If you're going to go along, you'd be unreasonable if you moaned the whole time and spoilt it for the family.

If you managed to get out of going...or you went and gritted your teeth, that wouldn't be unreasonable.

Kayano Sat 27-Aug-11 21:42:14

Yanbu
I HATE the beach but it stems from a jellyfish phobia that escalated after I was stung.

I won't go at all

Got baby on the way though so might be pressured in a few years :S I don't Ming looking at the sea but going on the beach? Nah!

ChippingIn Sat 27-Aug-11 21:43:21

YANBU

It is not unreasonable to dislike what you dislike is it?

I, for example, dislike overly formal events where the wearing of fussy clothing and acting like I have a broom up my arse is essential... it's just Not Me.

However, I love the beach, I love camping and I love watching (& partaking) watersports.... but each to their own really isn't it. It's just a shame you and your DH don't agree on this.

acsec Sat 27-Aug-11 21:44:55

I don't like the beach - sand is yuk, the sea is too big and I get super bored sitting doing nothing.

However, I do quite like walking along the beach in the evening or on an autumnal day.

Mosschops your day sounds hellish though, poor you!

worraliberty Sat 27-Aug-11 21:46:38

Lmao @ 'the sea is too big'

I have no idea why that made me snort my wine grin

<understands though>

Whatdoyouthinkthen Sat 27-Aug-11 21:46:41

I envy outdoor types because I love the outdoors but find camping, picnics, the beach a pain in the backside.I always end up stressed, dirty, uncomfortable. Some people make it look so easy but I always end up feeling and looking a complete mess. So YANBU smile

lostinwales Sat 27-Aug-11 21:47:51

YANBU, everyone is different and if it weren't for people like you my beach would be too crowded when I take my little gang down there for days on end to camp and get sandy! I feel a bit sad for you as I can't think of anything better to do, then again attempt to take me into a town and make me shop and wear tidy clothes all the time, ugh my skin is itching just thinking about it. <<disclaimer I have never knowingly worn white stuff clothes>>

SilkStalkings Sat 27-Aug-11 21:48:02

I used to feel the same way about it, worrying about suncream, losing kids in crowds, sand etc.
Now we just go after 4pm when the sun's not as hot, beach is less crowded, take a picnic and watch the sunset and take home sleepy kids.

acsec Sat 27-Aug-11 21:48:05

worra glad it made you laugh smile I just get a bit freaked out by the vastness of the sea and what might be lurking in there - fish a somewhat scary too!

scrappydappydoo Sat 27-Aug-11 21:48:43

YANBU - I loathe the beach - I hate how sand just gets everywhere and into everything. I don't like swimming in salty water and how it dries all crusty over you. Oh yes and all the creatures and fish bleughh. Wouldn't even like it if it was in 5 star resort I'm afraid

ticklebumpkin Sat 27-Aug-11 21:48:57

I hate it too! I lived on the South Coast for 9 years and could count the times I bothered with the beach on one hand.

Have always much preferred large parks (parks rather than recreation grounds, IYSWIM)

Them being hot and near sea is even worse in my book - that way you get hot and the sand sticks to you cos it's wet.

I can't bear walking across sand either.

GnomeDePlume Sat 27-Aug-11 21:49:05

YANBU and I am so glad to find a kindred spirit.

IMO there is nothing wrong with a beach which couldnt be solved by tiling it, filtering the water and chucking in a handfull of chlorine.

I am too old to camp. Camping is just so horizontal. I creak when I stand up, I would have to spend a week of camping crawling round on my hands and knees.

cantspel Sat 27-Aug-11 21:49:13

I live on the south coast and 5 minutes walk from the beach. I haven't set foot on it for around 10 years.

The only beach i am interested in is somewhere sunny with a sunlounger that has a 3 inch thick cushion and a waiter nearby bring cold drinks and chilled slices of melon.

ipredicttrouble Sat 27-Aug-11 21:51:49

I hate the beach. Mainly due to the sand & sea! smile On a holiday I would much rather be on a sun lounger, under a parasol & by a pool.

MotherJack Sat 27-Aug-11 21:57:34

Camping on a beach as a pastime is mental as it is one of the more exposed sites you can camp on, so unless you are a serious camper with a serious tent and sleeping bag I would avoid. You do not sound like a serious camper, so I don't blame you.

However, camping elsewhere in a sheltered spot with some nice weather and minimal winds can be ok, so ignore DBF on the general camping experience as she is a big girl's blouse grin

(Yeah, alright, so it took me a week to stand up straight again from last week, but I was in the tent that did the festivals of my youth. Next time it will be a tent I can stand up in. And maybe with a butler...)

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 27-Aug-11 21:59:41

I hate the beach. Love the sea and coastline but not when it's spoilt by sand grin I like cliffs and sea and crashing waves.

forehead Sat 27-Aug-11 22:03:00

I lile the beach, but hate the sand. I would rather watch the kids play on the beach from the confines of a coffee shop,

Andrewofgg Sat 27-Aug-11 22:03:07

YANBU. Beaches should be swept clear of all that wretched sand. And the sea should be drained away. And I grew up near the coast.

ThePathanKhansWoman Sat 27-Aug-11 22:04:36

GML, My fantasy is live in County Clare. Rugged.

OP YANBU, if beach ain't your thing, it ain't your thing.

ThePathanKhansWoman Sat 27-Aug-11 22:05:12

To live even.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now