Talk

Advanced search

to want to share a funny story

(9 Posts)
GodKeepsGiving Sat 27-Aug-11 09:53:30

I was canvassing for the local elections in May and was helping an elderly friend of mine who was standing for the Conservatives. She was telling me about when she was a child and her mother was ill and how she'd been sent to stay with family friends. Apparently, she had been given a large old wireless to take home which she later discovered had a family of mice living in it. She then related that her neighbours were giving away a large cat which her father thought would be useful for catching the mice that were breeding in the wireless. Her mother was never supposed to know anything about the mice or the cat, but the cat presented her with one of them. My friend smiled smugly and declared in a slightly pompous tone,
"And that's the first time that Mummy knew anything about Pussy!"
My friend wasn't naive, she had spent her life teaching in a local comprehensive which had a very mixed intake. Bless her, she seemed to take a delight in ignoring social norms. I'm still chuckling about it 3 months later.

Anniegetyourgun Sat 27-Aug-11 10:14:51

YABU for supporting a Conservative candidate.

Next!

pineapple70 Sat 27-Aug-11 10:16:48

Bless...
I remember a very prim teacher at school declaring that she preferred to have the windows and doors closed as she "liked a good fugg"

TidyDancer Sat 27-Aug-11 10:19:28

Well, yes, the Tory angle does ruin the story somewhat, but it's still cute. smile

NestaFiesta Sat 27-Aug-11 10:26:27

My ex MIL once declared "I didn't know what a lesbian was until I joined the Army"

GodKeepsGiving Sat 27-Aug-11 11:39:26

You're probably right about the Tory angle, but it still makes me smile. Really like pineapple70's and NestaFiesta's stories too.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sat 27-Aug-11 11:44:51

YABU, but only because it's not funny [hard to make laugh]

GodKeepsGiving Sat 27-Aug-11 12:09:53

Ripstheirthtroatoutliveupstairs, perhaps you had to be there.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Sat 27-Aug-11 12:21:39

Probably, I am being spectacularly miserable today as it is cold and miserable and I have to climb through a window into the garage to turn the central heating on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now