Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect pleather bags and accessories not to be so expensive?

(13 Posts)
warmandwooly Fri 26-Aug-11 18:38:19

I'm not even talking designer labels. You can sometimes get a leather bag for not much more.i would rather pay att little more for leather that will last longer or go without than buying pleather.

pigletmania Fri 26-Aug-11 18:51:20

I agree, Fiorelli bags are very expensive and they are pleather, as are Guess bags too

PrimaBallerina Fri 26-Aug-11 19:10:35

I've had some amazing leather and suede bags off eBay for under £15. I hate pleather.

sparkle12mar08 Fri 26-Aug-11 19:23:07

WTF is 'pleather'?

warmandwooly Fri 26-Aug-11 19:24:42

I very stupidly paid over forty quid for a pleather bag which i mistook for leather and then sold it on ebay for a small sum. I would spend some of the money in charity shops where i have had some lovely bargains including att lovely 70Ks bag. Wasnt leather but lovely all the same. Good as new in fact i dont think it was even used.

oneofthosedays Fri 26-Aug-11 20:00:15

I'm with sparkle - what is pleather? I assumed op had made a typo! Is it basically 'leather look' material?

higgle Fri 26-Aug-11 20:23:47

I always buy synthetic bags as I'm a vegetarian and I find that because they are cheaply made it is hard to find anything that lasts more than a season. I would really like to find a nice, weighty, well made bag with good quality fittings that doesn't fall to pieces, and I'd play as much for that as a decent quality leather one. A very cheap leather bag is likely to be made of asian leather - the animal whose skin it is may not have been treated kindly.

Muckyhighchair Fri 26-Aug-11 20:24:20

Plastic leather, basically fake handmade leather or very cheap leather with a plastic type covering

PerryCombover Fri 26-Aug-11 20:25:56

Dunno..that Stella McCartney stuff is wizzo

warmandwooly Fri 26-Aug-11 21:34:33

Higgie have you tried Nica bags?you can get them sometimes at TK Maxx (can you tell i love this place). I have been wondering for w hile to be honest about the different types of leather etc.

fedupofnamechanging Fri 26-Aug-11 21:51:37

higgle, what is a good country to get leather from, if you want to be sure the animal has been properly looked after and killed humanely?

I can't afford designer, but are there any high street shops that have a good reputation for humane sourcing of leather goods?

higgle Sat 27-Aug-11 16:27:55

Cheap leather is quite often from India where welfare standards are not high- I can't suggest a brand as I don't buy leather myself, but perhpas the individual makes would tell you where they get it from.

fedupofnamechanging Sat 27-Aug-11 18:49:20

thanks higgle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now