Talk

Advanced search

To ask you for help

(17 Posts)
Angel786 Fri 26-Aug-11 12:56:15

On blogging. Sorry, didn't know where to post this. Have started a blog but how can I get it to come up in google search results? I have a blog and no readers or way of finding it!

milkshakejake Fri 26-Aug-11 13:14:16

hmm, I am clueless as well, so just bumping, sorry!

minipie Fri 26-Aug-11 13:18:44

Well what kind of searches do you want it to come up under?

For example if it's a gardening blog, and you want it to come up when people type "gardening blog" into google, then I think you want to make sure the words "gardening blog" appear in lots of places in your blog pages.

Also, if you can get friends with blogs/other websites to put a link to yours on their website, that will help you get further up the listings.

ImeldaM Fri 26-Aug-11 13:22:38

Don't know about blogging specifically but usually to get your info to come up on internet searches you need to make sure you use key words.

eg if my DS were to blog it would be about cars grin so lots of 'car-spotting', 'subaru impreza fan', maybe some Top Gear references.

think about what someone who would be interested in your blog would type into google to find it.
HTH

Firawla Fri 26-Aug-11 13:26:44

where have you made the blog? i know on wordpress theres option to have it available to search engines or not, so others may have the same thing? then you would first have to make sure your settings are right then naturally it starts to come up in searches over time

Angel786 Fri 26-Aug-11 14:20:32

Thanks All!

I would like the title of the blog to appear in searches chronicles of xxx (deleted it as dont want MN to think I'm being naughty-not sure what the rules are!).

I have tagged a few things - pregnancy blah blah but so far none of it comes up in Google. Have also enabled it to appear in search engines as Firawla suggested. The blog is on blogger.com so is a blogspot blog. Am v new to this, only set it up today so maybe it takes a few days to come up in searches?

ImeldaM Fri 26-Aug-11 14:29:59

Think google etc is snapshot of previous day so that will be why nothing coming up if only set up today (AFAIK, in my limited knowledge of all things internetty grin)

WilsonFrickett Fri 26-Aug-11 14:34:42

There are over 156 million live blogs in existence. You have to do a lot of work to get your blog up into the search engines. Keywords will help but they will only get you so far up the rankings.

What is important with a blog is nurturing your community. Visit other blogs, comment (sensibly) and leave your blog link. Try and get your blog into a 'community' like Blogher or MN. (although they will want to see regular blogs, not just a single posting). Get yourself on Twitter, use hashtags and push. You basically need to go out and market it like you would any other business.

And try googling 'how to get people to read my blog'.

HTH

attheendoftheday Fri 26-Aug-11 14:40:27

Dp does search engine optimisation professionally, what I've gleaned are the main points:

1. The more original content on your site/blog the better.

2. Do not use any content copied from elsewhere on the net as this will automatically put you down the list on search engines.

3. Get as many other websites to link to you as possible, especially reputable sources (such as university sites).

hth

TrillianAstra Fri 26-Aug-11 14:41:50

MMeLindor has some good blogging advice.

Angel786 Fri 26-Aug-11 14:46:07

Really good advice! Thanks all :-) It's not a professional blog at all, more like a stream of consciousness / summary of my work/personal life (anonymously) so am not expecting huge followings...

Will start to put your advice into practice.

minipie Fri 26-Aug-11 15:10:12

If it's not a professional blog, just a record of your musings, I'm wondering why you care if it comes up in google results?

Angel786 Fri 26-Aug-11 15:13:14

Just because I enjoy writing / ranting and it would be good to hear other people's thoughts on my perceptions and observations really. Not to make any money / business etc.

Angel786 Fri 26-Aug-11 15:13:37

and if possible, I'd like to entertain / amuse people blush

minipie Fri 26-Aug-11 15:22:59

Ah ok got it. Well I suspect links are your best bet rather than google - I think people often go from one blog to the other. So maybe you could try reading other people's blogs which are similar to yours, then leaving a comment there with a link to your own blog?

Newbabynewmum Fri 26-Aug-11 15:37:58

There's a whole blogging section. Come over. We're nice smile

Angel786 Fri 26-Aug-11 19:10:44

Thx mini, on my way newbaby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now