Talk

Advanced search

To enjoy debating just for the sake of debating?

(13 Posts)
Quis Fri 26-Aug-11 11:55:49

I've been on Mumsnet for many years with many name changes. I'm sure it used to be acceptable to start a discussion on a subject just because it was an interesting subject to discuss.
This now seems to be considered 'trolling'.

What is wrong with wanting to provoke a debate about a topical issue? My dh works away throughout the week and in the evening I am sometimes bored.
Can't one of the functions of Mumsnet be to entertain by taking part in a debate?

I have had a very traumatic week and it would be nice to start a thread about faith schools or cyclists for example, but it would just be for the sake of it, and to take my mind off things so I would probably be accused of being a 'troll'.

This makes me irritated, so AIBU?

usualsuspect Fri 26-Aug-11 11:59:14

Depends ,I don't like threads that are obviously started just because the OP knows they will kick off

AgentZigzag Fri 26-Aug-11 12:03:43

I think it would be trolling to start off on a topic you know for sure will get posters going, especially in subjects that always kick off.

But there are so many subjects in the world, it doesn't have to be the bf/ff, cyclists, faith schools, which tbf have all been thoroughly discussed, there must be other interesting things you can explore?

dexter73 Fri 26-Aug-11 12:04:53

It's not really a debate though is it, more like a bunfight, so YABU.

Quis Fri 26-Aug-11 12:10:17

Does that mean that Mumsnet is no longer the place to have an intelligent discussion?
What a shame, it used to be.

usualsuspect Fri 26-Aug-11 12:12:14

There are plenty of intelligent discussions on MN

Just not on subjects that have been done to death

LRDTheFeministDragon Fri 26-Aug-11 12:13:15

I didn't see your thread so can't comment - I've not noticed debate for debate's sake being a problem though. I don't see what you could 'debate' about cyclists though - 'This house believes all cyclists are annoying tosspots/all drivers should be banned'? Sounds like a bunfight not 'intelligent' debate to me too.

AgentZigzag Fri 26-Aug-11 12:14:40

But if that 'intelligent discussion' has been had twice a week for the past two years Quis, it's not that intelligent any more.

I know posters are quite able to decide for themselves which threads to post on, but some people just can't help themselves and shouldn't be encouraged 'just for fun' it's not good for their health grin

AMumInScotland Fri 26-Aug-11 12:24:33

What would another thread about cycists or faith schools achieve though? The subject has been talked about so often that people have very entrenched views and are likely to post them. It is 100% guaranteed to become an argument rather than a debate, simply because the topic is recognisably controversial (on MN at least).

If you want to have a sensible debate about something, be a bit more inventive in your choice of topic - pick one which has not been done lots of times, always ending in a punch-up.

Quis Fri 26-Aug-11 12:26:18

You are probably right - I gave bad examples.

LRD Re cylclists - ha ha, you are not a million miles away from what I had in mind!

tethersend Fri 26-Aug-11 12:39:46

It's trolling if you pretend it happened to you.

Starting a debate is different.

SardineQueen Fri 26-Aug-11 12:42:14

I don't think it's trollish to start a debate thread about something that interests you. Why would it be?

It is a bit off when people do a "light blue touchpaper" OP and then fuck off and leave everyone to slug it out.

AMumInScotland Fri 26-Aug-11 12:54:16

If you genuinely want a debate, I'd say avoid AIBU or Chat - go for a topic area which is actually relevant to what you want to discuss. And read through your title and OP very carefully to make it clear you genuinely want to know other people's views, rather than validation of your own opinion.

It doesn't guarantee avoiding a bunfight, but it gives you a better chance of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now