Talk

Advanced search

to ask would you consent to a 2 year old having an xray

(45 Posts)
AuntiePickleBottom Thu 25-Aug-11 22:57:50

my DD has just 8 teeth, the dentist want to do an xray to see if it is just tooth delay.

i really am unsure about allowing the dentist to do it

pamplemousserose Thu 25-Aug-11 23:00:48

If its needed, not sure how they will get her to stay still enough though.

changer2010 Thu 25-Aug-11 23:01:13

Is there any particular part that concerns you?

LadyThumb Thu 25-Aug-11 23:01:13

Why not? If you can get her to sit still, that is.

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 25-Aug-11 23:02:22

Indeed, why not?

would you let them do one in A+E if your 2 year old had an injury?

changer2010 Thu 25-Aug-11 23:02:38

They can do it with a couple of plates rather than expecting a small child to hold still for the panoramic type - much less time, and no fiddly bite wings to kep still.

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 25-Aug-11 23:02:45

it's the radiation that is envolled in xrays

vanfurgston Thu 25-Aug-11 23:02:58

the first teeth begin to break through the gums at about 6 months of age. Usually, the first two teeth to erupt are the two bottom front teeth. Next, the top four front teeth emerge. After that, other teeth slowly begin to fill in, usually in pairs - one each side of the upper or lower jaw - until all 20 teeth (10 in the upper jaw and 10 in the lower jaw) have come in by the time the child is 2 ½ to 3 years old. there is a wide variation in the timings of milk teeth eruption
which teeth have erupted?? u can choose to wait it out

worraliberty Thu 25-Aug-11 23:03:10

When my eldest was 2 he had to have xrays on his feet.

They gave me a sort of lead apron and I held him still while they took it.

ddubsgirl Thu 25-Aug-11 23:04:01

its not something they like to do with kids but if they feel its needed they do it,the risk is very very small.

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 25-Aug-11 23:05:25

the dentist said it is my call, what ever i decide.

if she had an injury then i would consent straight away, as there could be something seriously wrong iygwim

vanfurgston Thu 25-Aug-11 23:05:45

they do use low radiation dose though. u can discuss with your dentist how the xray can help ur DC dentition. the dentists dont usually prescribe xrays if they r not justifiable

bubblesincoffee Thu 25-Aug-11 23:05:48

Presumably the outcome of the x ray will help in some way?

I wouldn't think twice about it tbh.

rhondajean Thu 25-Aug-11 23:06:19

Its the cumulative effect of xrays thats a problem. I get you being worried cos she is so small. If its any consolation, both mines had an xray at around that age (head bump for one, bad fall on the arm for the other) and they both seem okay so far.

If its a one off I wouldnt worry, honestly, and if theres a problem with her teeth the earlier they find it the better I would imagine.

squeakytoy Thu 25-Aug-11 23:06:35

If it necessary, then it should be done.

I had dozens of x-rays as a kid, due to a serious leg injury, and I have never had any ill effects from it.

BeaWheesht Thu 25-Aug-11 23:07:06

Yes, and I did. Ds had chest x rays at 3 and just turned 4 and a ct scan at 4 and a bit.

belledechocchipcookie Thu 25-Aug-11 23:07:44

It's very hard to x-ray a 2 year old's gums. She'll need to be very still. The radiation dose is minimal, she'd get more exposure from the sun + background radiation. I wouldn't unless absolutly necessary, just because he's unlikely to get an adequate image.

ddubsgirl Thu 25-Aug-11 23:08:14

2 of my boys have had a quiet a few x-rays with no ill effects,a&e doc had a giggle on tuesday looking at ds2 records ))))))))broken wrist((((((( he said hes gonna wrap him up in bubble wrap!

maypole1 Thu 25-Aug-11 23:08:19

Doctor would not ask for it if it wasn't needed

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 25-Aug-11 23:08:41

Mine had an x-ray at 18 months when he broke his leg. I declined to go and hold him when invited to by radiographer. She hadn't noticed that I was 8 months pregnant! (his Dad went in to hold him instead).

FabbyChic Thu 25-Aug-11 23:08:51

OMG a childs health comes first, if he needs an Xray he gets one. The risk of radiation poisioning is negligible.

MJHASLEFTTHEBUILDING Thu 25-Aug-11 23:09:22

Message withdrawn

MadamDeathstare Thu 25-Aug-11 23:09:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blackeyedsusan Thu 25-Aug-11 23:09:54

I would need more information in your case. what does he think could be wrong and what are the implications before I would consent.

SiamoFottuti Thu 25-Aug-11 23:10:10

of course I would. confused I've had hundreds of x-rays, I'm not radioactive or anything.
What an odd question.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now