Talk

Advanced search

Yes, I am, but please come and talk me into taking my flight anyway.

(15 Posts)
iwanttolearn Thu 25-Aug-11 19:43:55

I'm going to just say it, I'm flying with Emirates and am scared of terrorism. I hate flying in any case, scared of weather, birds, many things. I have a headache even thinking about getting on a plane.

I have traveled with Emirates before and it's a good airline, but it's so near the anniversary of september 11, that and I've also just Playing Cards in Cairo, where the author said that many people would commit acts of terrorism if they could. So just a bit scared.

I'm flying from bangkok to dubai and then on to Paris, but I really need some reassurance right now.

A few years ago I was on a plane that had a decompression and we had to wear oxygen masks, so that's part of why I'm so scared of planes.

ChumleeIsMyHomeboy Thu 25-Aug-11 19:46:19

Emirates IS a good airline and security checks are still very thorough. You really do have a way better chance of being in a road accident than meeting your end through flying! If it's really freaking you out that badly could you maybe ask your Doctor for a couple of Valium to calm your nerves?

yellowraincoat Thu 25-Aug-11 19:47:16

Oh you poor thing, I have the exact same problem. I find it helps if I get to the airport early so that a. I'm not stressed about being late and b. I can watch lots of aeroplanes taking off and landing, all with no problems, so I am reassured it is normal to fly.

Maybe tell the flight attendants you are scared? They are used to it, and I heard that tjey are really nice on emirates.

squeakytoy Thu 25-Aug-11 19:49:09

OK, first of all calm down. And now think logically.

The planes involved in 9/11 were not Emirates Planes.

Security has increased so much since 9/11 that the chances of a repeat of that are minimal.

There are thousands of planes in the sky right now. Flying safely.

Plane crashes are very rare. That is why they make the news. Hundreds are killed worldwide in car crashes every day of the year. So statistically it IS the safer method of transport.

Turbulence will not flip a plane, or make it crash.

You will be fine, honestly. smile

go to your GP, tell him/her you are aerophobic and get a script. for diazepam (vallium). My lovely doc. gave me a 28 pack of the 2mg ones for my flights a few weeks back, and after reading that you can't actually OD on them and that they come in 10mg over here in the states, I double-dosed half hour before take off, then popped another one every hour. I had the best flights in years - I was actually calm enough to watch the clouds out the window and eat the food, rather than clinging to the chair in panic watching the flight path for 8 hours. (I did just watch the flight path rather than movies, but didn't stress like normal).

Really, I had no idea until my sister told me she gets medication for flying that it was a possibility - but it made the flight almost enjoyable... almost... it can also help you sleep through the flight.

mumofsoontobelawstudent Thu 25-Aug-11 19:50:10

oh FGS, why should the airline be a factor in terrorism? I've flown Emirates hundreds of times and they are an excellent airline and have excellent security checks at Dubai and probably Bangkok too. Have just booked a flight to Bangkok via Dubai with them and it would have never have crossed my mind that there might be terrorist issues.

Don't let any books you've read frighten you, if we all for example believed all the Steven King books we read where would we be? wink

Relax, have a glass of wine at the airport and enjoy your flights/holiday

YouDoTheMath Thu 25-Aug-11 19:52:08

Chances of anything bad happening are pretty small.

And don't take one author's opinion too seriously.

iwanttolearn Thu 25-Aug-11 19:52:58

I have tried so many things to stop worrying, like bringing chocolate or a good book on the plane to enjoy, but I still have very bad nerves every time I fly. It's a nightmare, especially since i have to travel often. I was meant to fly last Firday, but gave myself a migraine headache and spent the day in bed.

Andrewofgg Thu 25-Aug-11 19:54:53

Go, go, go, and ENJOY!

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Thu 25-Aug-11 20:08:19

To put it bluntly, terrorists will be far more likely to target US/UK/European airlines than Middle/Far Eastern ones.

Emirates are a good airline to fly with; I've always found their ground staff and cabin crew extremely helpful and I'm sure they're stewards will be sympathetic if you confide your fears.

I've also experienced decompression on a long haul flight and it is a tad scary when the masks appear while the plane is mid-Pacific. I've also had some hairy flights involving extreme turbulence and lightning, but I'm still here to tell tale.

Whatever we do in life, there's a risk - even if we stay cooped up indoors we might fall down stairs or keel over with a heart attack or some other fatal incident may occur.

I've therefore come to the conclusion that when my number gets called there's not going to be a lot I can do about it, so I might as well experience and enjoy all that is on offer on this amazing planet without worrying unduly about how it's going to end - as end it must one day (or night).

iwanttolearn Thu 25-Aug-11 20:15:28

OMG, Izzy, what happened during the decompression? I was on a shorthaul flight that would have only lasted an hour anyway. What happens when you have one mid-pacific?

Hatesponge Thu 25-Aug-11 20:22:04

The risks of flying are very small. But I know it's still scary. I really don't like flying, which is currently preventing me from committing myself to take the DC to Florida next year (I've only flown a max of 4 hours up to now and the prospect of double that and more is really really not appealing!) I find having something interesting to read helps a bit, frankly anything that distracts me from thinking about the fact I'm in a plane!

Hassled Thu 25-Aug-11 20:22:27

Go to the GP and ask for something to keep you calm during the flight. A friend takes a Special Pill during an Irish Sea ferry crossing, so you're far from alone grin.

I know from experience that being able to rationalise it all doesn't actually help - you know deep down that you have an irrational fear. You know the chances of anything happening are so remote that you're probably more likely to win EuroMillions (I just made that up - no idea what the comparative likelihoods are, but it's still bloody unlikely). So what you need to do is learn how to cope with an irrational fear - like spiders or birds. And for that, you need help from a GP.

acatcalledfelix Thu 25-Aug-11 20:23:14

Of course you'll be fine. I live in London and everyday I'm far more at risk of terrorism than I would be if I was flying. particularly on an Arab airline I would have thought. Just try and enjoy it. They are a good airline, so make the most of the nice touches they provide. If you're in Bangkok now you can by meds over the counter in Boots that will help to calm your nerves.

didyouseewhatshedid Thu 25-Aug-11 20:39:52

I have had the fear of flying problem on and off over the years.
The only things that work are pills - valium - or a few beers before flying. Distraction techniques, reading etc dont help one bit.
Oddly, a recent flight with dreadful turbulence and an aborted landing in high winds helped a lot. The plane was literally bouncing up and down, people were throwing up and all sorts. And yet, it landed at another airport fine, showing me just how much these things can withstand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now