Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To hope that my brother might have kept his word?

(11 Posts)
JentlyDoesIt Thu 25-Aug-11 17:58:39

Ok... My little brother is 27. For the last 5 years he has lived in Vienna & come back to the uk infrequently. He is back now for 2 weeks until next weekend. When I first saw him last Sunday he kindly offered to babysit tomorrow night for me so I could see a friend of mine who is returning to Korea after a 2 week hol on Saturday. I don't get out v often due to being a sort of single parent whilst DP is in prison & not having manu friends / family nearby to help out.

Today he has decided that he'd rather go & see friends than babysit for me, leaving me no choice but to cancel my night out (was a group of us meeting in the pub, I just won't b there now). I have already asked my SIL who can't do it & my mums exhausted after having my 2 all week (cm on hols)

I wouldn't be so royally pissed off if he'd said "maybe" or even "I can't do it / dont want to" but to just drop out the day before has upset me.

So AIBU to be mega annoyed with him & myself for thinking he'd do as he said he would??

Thanks for staying til the end smile

creamola Thu 25-Aug-11 18:18:27

Maybe he thought it would ok .......but then got an offer for a night out

I'd be miffed but I wouldn't dwell on it.

If he's only back in the UK for 2 weeks it might be nice for him to catch up with his own friends?

Also if he's only back for 2 weeks why not arrange the time he spends at your house to be with you, him and the DC's ??

From his point of view I'd be pretty miffed if I was visiting for a holiday and someone wanted me to babysit so they could go out rather than spend the time with me.

He is only here for 2 weeks....you are being slightly unreasonable

Littlefish Thu 25-Aug-11 18:21:45

Whilst I can see why you would be annoyed, I can also see why he wouldn't want to spend one of his few nights at home, babysitting for you. He shouldn't have offered in the first place.

However, I also think that you need to find a way of broadening your circle of babysitters so that you have other options for next time.

JentlyDoesIt Thu 25-Aug-11 18:27:21

Creamola - he offered I didn't ask. This is the 3rd time this year he's been back, the other 2 times were a week each. The kids have seen him every day so far as he's staying with our mum. I appreciate he's got to see his friends too, it's the taking back of the offer I'm narked about

Littlefish - the other people I would normally ask are the ones I was going out with smile

scrambedeggs Thu 25-Aug-11 18:29:41

if your mum has had them all week, its not really fair to leave them again

creamola Thu 25-Aug-11 18:34:40

have you never offered to do something for someone then not followed through JentlyDoesIt?

I'm sure most of has at some point in our lives!

It must be disappointing because your plans have to change , but perhaps he got back in touch with people on that night and If he changes his plans now , he might be next year before he see's them again?

Your friends will still be within walking distance (or a short transport journey) next week, next month .......is it not possible for you to re-arrange your plans?

He might be able to babysit the next evening instead?

creamola Thu 25-Aug-11 18:36:32

ignore the typo's ......I'm tying to cook and my onions hate me, I can't see through the watery eyes grin

JentlyDoesIt Thu 25-Aug-11 19:10:24

Scrambled - she's had them day times (9 - 3.15) when I'm at work as my childminder is on hols. They've not been there all day & night smile

Cream - don't worry, onions hate me too smile. It was one friend in particular I wanted to see. He lives in Korea & only has 2 weeks in the uk each year, if that. He goes back on Saturday sad

creamola Thu 25-Aug-11 19:22:42

could you not ask all your friends round to yours and have a bit of an impromtu party?

maybe your brother could ask his friends too............I bet it would be a great night and save on the babysitting and cost of going out smile

JentlyDoesIt Thu 25-Aug-11 19:37:42

Cream - top idea grin although I'm not sure the young hip trendy things will want to hang out with the old crustys (I'm 32 but the others are all in their 40's) but I shall suggest it. Thank you grin

FabbyChic Thu 25-Aug-11 19:53:29

Why not invite your friends to yours for dinner? Or drinks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now