Talk

Advanced search

to dislike other people dressing my child to their taste?

(9 Posts)
nancerama Thu 25-Aug-11 17:33:30

I'm sure I'm being a little ungrateful, but I find it so bizarre that friends and relatives continually shower my DS with gifts of clothes that are not to my taste at all. They would never dress DH to their taste, so why is DS fair game. It seems like such a waste to get rid of the clothes, but I don't have the patience or manual dexterity to wrestle my poor 3 month old in and out of jeans with zips and buttons!

minipie Thu 25-Aug-11 17:35:17

They aren't dressing your child, surely - they are buying him clothes. You're the one who dresses him - so you choose what you put him in!

Or do they expect to see him wearing the clothes?

WilsonFrickett Thu 25-Aug-11 17:35:29

Because people love the ickle pink baby clothes, don't they? They're not thinking about zips and faff and buttons up the back (pet hate. why put buttons where baby will lie on them???? Why???)

SchrodingersMew Thu 25-Aug-11 17:35:40

Think yourself lucky it's just jeans with zips and buttons...

My SIL is adamant she's buying my not yet born son Ugg boots. hmm

attheendoftheday Thu 25-Aug-11 17:37:34

Say thank you, ask for a reciept in case it doesn't fit, change it for something you'll use. Job done.

nancerama Thu 25-Aug-11 17:39:47

My unbuilt sense of good manners makes me feel obliged to put DS in said garments when visiting the person who bought them. The poor chap is big for his age, and follicly challenged, so looks like a missing Mitchell brother when dressed in proper boys clothes! He looks so much better when dressed as a baby!

MollyMurphy Thu 25-Aug-11 17:49:42

Well of course most people just assume their taste is universal no? They probably think little jeans are adorable and that you will feel the same.

I empathize - my mom would buy our son all sort of formal outfits with little dress pants and collars - it drove me nuts because I knew I would never use them and also becasue she would pester us about putting him in them.

I despise jeans on babies so I just nipped those off to the side and didn't use them. I had fleeting guilt about wasting clothes but....in the end babies go through clothes so fast. We barely get to enjoy any of his things before he outgrows them so I just plow forward taking advantage of my ability to dress him how I like while I can.

Still, I do try to put him in things my mom's bought here and there when we are going to see her - becasue its the least we can do to show appreciation and make her happy.

minipie Thu 25-Aug-11 17:49:44

Ah, see I don't have an inbuilt sense of good manners grin

You could tell a version of the truth and say that it's a shame but he seems to find the zips and buttons uncomfortable?

pointydog Thu 25-Aug-11 17:55:16

I don't finjd it bizarre at all. They want to be helpful and they naturally choose something they think is nice.

Just say thank you and either dress your boy in their clothes or don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now