Talk

Advanced search

To start another dog thread?

(16 Posts)
EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 25-Aug-11 16:42:01

Yes, I probably am, sorry.

My question is - how many dogs do you think it is sensible / reasonable / practical for one person to "walk"?

My boys and I were sitting on a bench by a path in a wood, having lunch today. The path is well used by dog walkers, runners, horseriders, families etc.

Two ladies came by, they had 10 dogs between them. 2 were on leads, the rest weren't. Dogs were a mixed bunch of varying size and shape, I guess they could have been professional walkers / minders rather than owners?

Is it even possible to have five dogs on leads at once? I'd imagine a massive tangle resulting.

Anyway, we managed to save our sandwiches (just) although the owner did tell my four year old off for "screaming" at the one who put its nose in his crisp packet while owner called at it to come, completely without effect. He didn't really scream, it was more of an "arrggh, get off my crisps" sort of a noise.

The point is - are there any regulations for dog minders / owners which say how many animals they are allowed to have under their control (or not!) at once? And if not, should there be?

LadyThumb Thu 25-Aug-11 17:10:06

I found this, but it is for Wandsworth. I don't know if it applies anywhere else i.e. your area:

"A bye-law known as the Maximum Number of Dogs in Grounds and associated Dog Control Orders control the number of dogs that can be walked by an individual in parks and open spaces and on the public highway in Wandsworth. Where the bye-law is in place, a licence is required for an individual to walk more four dogs at any one time up to a maximum of eight dogs. In the majority of other parks and open spaces and on the public highway, the number of dogs that can be walked by an individual is limited to a maximum of four."

OracleInaCoracle Thu 25-Aug-11 17:15:43

Dog house would be a better place to ask.

OracleInaCoracle Thu 25-Aug-11 17:15:45

Dog house would be a better place to ask.

MissMap Thu 25-Aug-11 17:17:56

I have 2 Labs and a Manchester Terrier and thats more than enough for me. I would never take all three out at once alone, although they are well trained.

I am fortunate that in our large household there are lots of dog walkers available.

The ladies you describe had in effect a pack of dogs and that could be very hard to control.

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 25-Aug-11 17:18:30

Thanks Lady - I looked online for my area but couldn't find anything (I'm in North Yorks).

These walkers "only" had five each, but because they were together they ended up with ten.

Can't imagine one person would easily keep control of eight dogs. I suppose a lot depends on what sort of dogs, eight little tiny ones probably easier than eight big ones.....

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 25-Aug-11 17:19:48

Lissielou - I suppose I should have asked

"Am I being unreasonable to think these ladies were trying to walk too many dogs at once?"

Not a lot I can do about it if they are breaking any guidelines, really.

OracleInaCoracle Thu 25-Aug-11 17:24:08

Sorry, that seemed v rude of me. It wasn't my intention, am on phone trying to get out of chester zoo after a day with ds and my parents blush I just meant, they might have an idea about legalities and obligations of dog owners/walkers.

OracleInaCoracle Thu 25-Aug-11 17:24:09

Sorry, that seemed v rude of me. It wasn't my intention, am on phone trying to get out of chester zoo after a day with ds and my parents blush I just meant, they might have an idea about legalities and obligations of dog owners/walkers.

Kladdkaka Thu 25-Aug-11 17:31:55

I have one lead that attaches to my 2 little dogs so no tangly mess here. When I take their big dog cousin out too, he goes on a lead I hold, my dog's double lead goes in his mouth and he walks them. Perfect dog train. grin

Batteryhuman Thu 25-Aug-11 17:34:29

5 obedient well trained dogs - no problem. One disobedient , untrained dog - big problem. The number of dogs is surely irrelevant.

Popbiscuit Thu 25-Aug-11 17:37:55

I think having 8 dogs off-lead would be a bit much for anyone! YANBU.

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 25-Aug-11 17:39:40

Batteryhuman - really? How about 20? 30?
I think regardless of the training you must hit a number where it's difficult to keep an eye on what they are all doing.

Rather like going for a walk with children.

Ephiny Thu 25-Aug-11 17:42:36

In our local park, you're allowed a maximum of four dogs per person, that's part of the Dog Control Orders introduced by our council.

Ephiny Thu 25-Aug-11 17:43:59

Personally though I wouldn't want to walk more than two at a time, I find that's quite enough for me to keep track of! My experience is all with fairly large dogs though.

Scuttlebutter Thu 25-Aug-11 18:32:25

Local authorities have the power (not the duty) to introduce Dog Control Orders. They have replaced more cumbersome bye-laws, and allow LAs to limit dog fouling, place bans or restrictions on dogs in certain areas e.g. war memorials, childrens playgrounds, and to limit the number of dogs that may be walked together - usually four. DCOs can also be used to impose on lead restrictions too.

Every local authority is different in that many have not used these powers at all, and of those who do there are considerable variations in how strictly they are placed. Usually DCOs are used to prevent dog fouling and to impose dog bans in limited areas. The restriction on numbers of dog walked is to deal with professional dog walkers who in certain urban parks can be walking with a large number. By law, a local authority who introduces DCOs must do a full public consultation.

You can request the introduction of a DCO if you have reasonable grounds to believe they would help, but bear in mind they are often controversial in an area. You can check your local Council's website to see if there are any already in place or any planned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now