(15 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Thu 25-Aug-11 14:53:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nojustificationneeded Thu 25-Aug-11 14:59:20

BornSicky Thu 25-Aug-11 15:01:18

how old is she?

can you get a home tutor?

have you talked to the school for their advice/ideas?

TheOriginalDesperateHousewife Thu 25-Aug-11 15:02:23

How old is she?

What would she do during the 6 weeks...couldn't she start school then, take a two week holiday, and then continue?

Which country is it?

I would do it if she is under senior school age.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 25-Aug-11 15:03:09

Would she be able to go to school locally where you are going to spend time.
DD has been at International schools for the whole of her school career and has, from time to time had pupils in for a couple of weeks.

nojustificationneeded Thu 25-Aug-11 15:11:07

nojustificationneeded Thu 25-Aug-11 15:12:15

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 25-Aug-11 15:14:32

If you think it will lead to a long term placement, do it. Obviously she will be the 'new girl' potentially twice. My DD has done this as I said four times. She hasn't been scarred by it but her schools were at least a year long.
Is the new house that you will stay in close to the one that you will stay in soon? If it is, get her enrolled at the one by the new house.

AnotherJaffaCake Thu 25-Aug-11 15:38:17

DH did something similar when his dad got a contract to work in USA. The family relocated to USA for about 8-9 months. DH was still at primary school at the time, and they went with the school providing them with all the work he would need to do for that time. So they didn't bother with registering temporarily at schools in USA. He just went back to school when they returned to UK.

vanfurgston Thu 25-Aug-11 15:40:38

i would do it. it will widen her horizons

Socy Thu 25-Aug-11 15:44:47

I think it will be a fantastic opportunity for her to learn a new language - she'll pick it up really quickly at school. If she can go to the same school before and after your two weeks back here I'd send her straight away, she'll soon settle in.

LIZS Thu 25-Aug-11 15:45:59

Sounds fine to me . Would she return to the same school and what is the local policy of taking her out for the 2 weeks if it does n't coincide with theri holiday (in Germany and Switzerland it is particularly frowned upon). Also HE is not encouraged. Given her disrupted school experience recently I don't think it would affect her more negatively long term.

Sn0wGoose Thu 25-Aug-11 15:49:32

Parents did this when I was 13, I think I had a month out while they looked for an apartment and enrolled me etc.

Having 6 weeks off isn't the disruptive bit ime, it's the changing schools and that would happen either way. Plus the curriculum will be different anyway, so it's not like staying in school an extra 6 weeks will mean she misses out on less or catches up more easily iyswim.

Do it! smile

MumblingRagDoll Thu 25-Aug-11 16:04:21

Do it. It's not like she's doing GCSEs and it's really good for their minds...seeing other ways of life etc and realising that life isnt always by the book.

We are going to Oz next August for work purposes...>DD will have been at her new school in the UK for one year....then to OZ for two years...and back to her old/new school in the UK!

We have been worried but so many Mnrs have told me tales of primary aged kids doing similar who have resettled fine that I am not worrying. The chance to live in a new country is a rare one.

NorfolkBroad Thu 25-Aug-11 22:34:35

I would do it in a flash! I am desperate to take my dd to France for an extended period to learn the language and experience a different lifestyle but with work and other comittments it is not possible for us right now. I think it would be a good idea to get her into school for the initial 6 weeks though even if there is then a 2 week break. Best of luck to you both!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now