Talk

Advanced search

To have ranted at DH about his clothes?

(13 Posts)
YouMeandDupree Thu 25-Aug-11 09:41:34

Kids were with grandparents last night so DH and I had planned to go for a meal. Last week when it first came up he suggested I wear a certain dress. I agreed and he kept going on about it (like he does hmm ) but last night I felt it was too cold for it so decided not to wear it after all. He said "oh, I thought you were wearing that blue dress?!" so I said I felt it was too cold. He sulked and said "but you promised" hmm err no I didn't and its hardly a big deal, I wear what I want.

So instead I wore black skinny jeans with a sparkly top. Therefore I was still "dressed up" and it was obvious I wasn't just popping down to tesco for a pint of milk iyswim.

I made an effort with my hair, make up etc and then came down to find DH wearing old jeans with a small tear in the knee, an old t-shirt and trainers. Not the first time he's gone to a resteraunt dressed like this but last night it pissed me off. I said "are you going out like that??" and he said "yes, what's wrong with it?" so I got quite cross and said how dare he make a fuss over what I wear when he just goes dressed in scruffy day-time clothes. I said I wouldn't go out with him dressed like that and I felt it was disrespectful to the resteraunt and mainly disrespectful to me.
He went off in a mjor mood and said "well you better iron me a shirt then". When I refused to do that we very nearly ended up not going out at all (in fact I didn't want to by this point).

was I unreasonable to make a stand??

Mitmoo Thu 25-Aug-11 09:43:45

Depends on how much you wanted the meal out.

YANBU - especially about the ironing.

Filibear Thu 25-Aug-11 09:48:51

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

PhilipJFry Thu 25-Aug-11 09:50:15

"well you better iron me a shirt then"

Ahahaha. Yeah right.

You are NOT being unreasonable to get annoyed at his double standards. He sounds like he was acting quite childishly- getting in a strop over a number of things. Sounds tiring to deal with.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 25-Aug-11 09:51:16

YANBU. I too would have gone without him.
I'd be really pissed off if my DH had made a fuss about what he wanted me to wear, then made no effort whatsoever.
Like Filibear said, he is a tool.

Why did he want you to wear a specific dress? Does he often 'dress' you?

SDTGisAnEvilGenius Thu 25-Aug-11 10:45:38

It sounds like he was trying to make a point, in a tit-for-tat kind of way - ie, 'if she's not going to make the effort, neither will I' - which is pretty bloody childish, to be honest, and I would have been cross with that part of it, and even crosser with the ironing comment. YANBU.

Justfeckingdoit Thu 25-Aug-11 10:49:05

YANBU at all. Give him a kick in the man bits from me.

OTheHugeRaveningWolef Thu 25-Aug-11 10:49:16

Sounds like there's a bit of tension in your relationship generally and this was just where it popped up.

What else is going on for you both?

Sn0wflake Thu 25-Aug-11 10:53:16

Well personally I wouldn't have minded what my DH put on (unless it is his running gear - which he looks nice in but is not appropriate) but he doesn't tell me what to wear. I'm not his doll FFS (maybe a fertility symbol : ).

ShoutyHamster Thu 25-Aug-11 10:53:18

Tell him to change his attitude, or he will end up with no-one to go out with at all.

Sn0wGoose Thu 25-Aug-11 11:27:38

DH often asks that I wear a certain dress when going out, because it specifically floats it boat compared to others iyswim blush But he is a scruff and often goes out looking like a hobo (sometimes even when he tries to dress smart ha ha ha). I'm ok with that, it doesn't bother me - that's who he is.

Like raveningwolef says, there's obviously something more going on here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now