Talk

Advanced search

to think bread keeps longer in the fridge

(19 Posts)
GalaxyWeaver Thu 25-Aug-11 09:13:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

notcitrus Thu 25-Aug-11 09:19:36

YANBU. Sandwiches can be made on toast if he's that fussy.

oldwomaninashoe Thu 25-Aug-11 09:20:54

It doeskeep longer FACT!

Just tell them to ask well in advance for sandwiches or buy roll instead and warm them up in the oven!

Why don't you freeze portions of the loaf, and take it out so there's fresh bread every day??

Sofabitch Thu 25-Aug-11 09:21:23

Yeast products should not be kept in the fridge. They should be kept in an air tight container. Cold bread is vile.

squeakytoy Thu 25-Aug-11 09:21:30

Bread doesnt keep longer in the fridge. It keeps longer in an airtight container or a bread bin.

TrillianAstra Thu 25-Aug-11 09:23:33

I find bread in the fridge is more likely to go mouldy, bread in the breadbin is more likely to go hard/stale.

Depends on the moisture more than the temperature.

I don't want to eat a cold sandwich or a toasted sandwich (unless it's been made in a proper toastie maker).

Sofabitch Thu 25-Aug-11 09:28:32

Scientific studies have shown that putting bread in the refrigerator draws out the moisture and the bread becomes stale faster. This happens from a process known as "retrogradation", which simply means that the starch molecules crystallize.

MrsBuntyCuldeSacPariah2 Thu 25-Aug-11 09:31:44

It's a bit of an old lady thing to do! (I only say that because my dearly departed Gran used to keep bread in the fridge. She maintained it allowed her to slice it thinner). I don't keep mine in the fridge, it doesn't last long enough to go mouldy though.

squeakytoy Thu 25-Aug-11 09:34:18

Uncut loaves probably would slice easier, as stale bread is easier to cut grin.

I keep mine in the microwave. Stays fresh for ages. Plus we also get Warburtons and that waxy paper seems to be a lot better than plastic bags for keeping the bread fresher, and it never goes mouldy either.

LRDTheFeministDragon Thu 25-Aug-11 09:41:05

Yuck! Sorry, I'm on his side. Clammy bread is vile. If it goes off too soon, but a smaller loaf or something.

My gran kept her bread, coffee, jam, fruit, and tinned tomatoes^ in the fridge. She thought it was God's own invention. Woe betide anyone who pointed out four-year-old ground coffee tastes stale no matter what you do with it.

femalevictormeldrew Thu 25-Aug-11 09:54:56

YABU I always find the bread tastes "hard" when it comes from the fridge (although it probably does keep longer but it yuck)

StringOrNothing Thu 25-Aug-11 10:03:40

YABU, and weird.

StrandedBear Thu 25-Aug-11 10:14:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mayorquimby Thu 25-Aug-11 10:49:57

The Big Bang Theory says you're wrong.
Sheldon Cooper: You shouldn't keep your bread in the refrigerator. Staleness is caused by crystallization of the starch molecules, which occurs faster at cool temperatures.

Also who the fuck wants to eat cold bread?

Sn0wflake Thu 25-Aug-11 10:54:54

Yep much longer in fridge.

JanMorrow Thu 25-Aug-11 10:58:49

I like cold bread! But we keep ours in a vaccum tupperware thingy after experimenting with keeping it in the fridge or otherwise.. it kept longer in the fridge than the old breadbin, but now it's in a vaccum thingy it keeps even longer.

CotesduRhone Thu 25-Aug-11 11:00:19

"Scientific studies have shown that putting bread in the refrigerator draws out the moisture and the bread becomes stale faster. This happens from a process known as "retrogradation", which simply means that the starch molecules crystallize."

YABU, sadly, as I have also read this research. Sorry! grin

Mandy2003 Thu 25-Aug-11 14:19:01

Bread from the fridge is gross IMO. If the OP's friend/relation only eats bread on a Sunday, perhaps he/she should consider buying it at the weekend then refrigerating it Sunday evening/Monday so (hopefully for OP) the fridge will have worked it's evil magic and turned it mouldy by the next weekend!

oneofthosedays Thu 25-Aug-11 15:10:03

Stick it in the freezer and defrost slices as and when you need them - this is what we do and works fine, no loaves taking up (precious) space on the worktop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now