Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if you would listen to a recording of all the bad things that people have said about you if you could listen to all the good.

(17 Posts)
Ohnoredundo Thu 25-Aug-11 08:53:00

This is one of those silly things that I often find myself wondering, like what we would buy if we won the lottery. I'm not a particularly gossipy person but I still say some pretty mean things about people behind their back on occasion so I know people must do the same about me. Personally I think I'd find it horrifying to listen to all the negative things people - and I'd guess also friends and family - had said about me but listening to all the good would be an humongous ego boost. The worry would be that the tape with the bad stuff filled both sides and the good stuff tape didn't fill a track...

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 25-Aug-11 08:54:26

No.... why would anybody want to? confused

You'd gloss over the 'nice' things and focus on the 'bad'.

notcopingatall Thu 25-Aug-11 08:55:33

think i'd rather live in a world of oblivion, and assume I'm reasonably nice, most of the time. Than swing from the depths of misery hearing nasty things, to the highs of the positive things.

youmustbeyolking Thu 25-Aug-11 08:56:58

I would. If the 'bad' were horrible I could change them. The 'good' comments would give me a boost. I guess it depends on if you think there are more bad than good etc.

Sn0wflake Thu 25-Aug-11 08:57:23

I honestly don't know.....possibly depends who the source was. I think I shouldn't know everything my DH thinks about me....just trust what he says. I know he loves me but I'm sure he is irritated by stuff that would hurt me if I knew about it.

Cereal Thu 25-Aug-11 09:00:56

Yes, I'd want to know the truth.

In fact I'd rather people just said anything negative to my face rather than behind my back. At least then you get the chance to set things straight.

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 25-Aug-11 09:02:01

I do worry about what others think of me and say about me when I am not there - but then I also think it is important to get the context of who said it and when ... I have had some well-deserved bad press.

I think this is the part where you have to grow a thicker skin as there isn't a lot you can do about the opinion of others

spookshowangel Thu 25-Aug-11 09:07:29

nope, because if we could hear what people said about us we would have no friends and it is always easier to believe the bad than the good.

wannaBe Thu 25-Aug-11 09:14:23

no. Because A it's just not positive to want to put yourself through that, and B, people are more likely to say bad things than good so it's more likely you would have more bad comments even if that wasn't the general feeling.

Ohnoredundo Thu 25-Aug-11 09:17:23

That's true Spooks. You could entirely trust someone as a best friend and it could then be totally scuppered. Argh makes me itch thinking about it! I couldn't even read someone's diary if it was left open in front of me.

TrillianAstra Thu 25-Aug-11 09:25:45

No thanks.

Everything would be heard entirely out of context.

I don't particularly think that most people are very good judges of character anyway.

bonkers20 Thu 25-Aug-11 09:31:48

You can only be talking about a cassette tape because you mentioned "both sides". YABU to expect that most people even have the means to play such old fashioned media. Get with the times! grin

Ephiny Thu 25-Aug-11 09:33:47

No. I don't generally worry too much about what other people think of me though.

DraculasMum Thu 25-Aug-11 09:54:47

I would. I know most of what people say about me but with a couple of people in particular I would love to hear if they are as lovely and innocent as they portray themselves!

DraculasMum Thu 25-Aug-11 09:54:48

I would. I know most of what people say about me but with a couple of people in particular I would love to hear if they are as lovely and innocent as they portray themselves!

Huffythetantrumslayer Thu 25-Aug-11 10:09:13

It's a bloody good question. I think I would as I think people who really know me wouldn't say anything too bad. Think it would be more acquaintances who didn't know me who would be negative. And I could handle that. What would be upsetting is if your best mates had said something horrible about you, that wouldn't be fun. Um I've changed my mind, I don't want to know!

LadyFlumpalot Thu 25-Aug-11 10:13:39

Now you see I happen to know that my Aunt in law has texted some rather vile things about me to my MIL as MIL has told me, I said I didn't want to know what was said...but I do want to, a little bit... morbid curiosity I suppose.

In answer to the OP, no, I wouldn't want to, I would be scared that the bad would outweigh the good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now