Advanced search

AIBU to use these two names?

(34 Posts)
Sn0wflake Thu 25-Aug-11 08:47:53

DS 1 - Rowan

DS 2 - Robin (not here yet).

What do you think?

Sn0wflake Thu 25-Aug-11 08:48:48

I should have said that my worry is that they are too similar.

UndercoverWorker Thu 25-Aug-11 08:49:31

Both lovely names, a little similar I guess but not stupidly so if you really like them.

Sn0wflake Thu 25-Aug-11 08:54:17

Thanks UndercoverWorker. I do really like them so am thinking I should just go with what I like and not worry about it.

Euphemia Thu 25-Aug-11 08:55:55

Too similar I think - you'll end up roaring calling for one when you mean the other.

MIL manages to call DD by her grandsons' names because they all begin with /k a/. hmm

scarletfingernail Thu 25-Aug-11 08:57:07

YANBU.

Although I do think they are quite similar.

I think if it was me I would try and think of another name for DS2 that sounds different and also has a different first initial from DS1. But I wouldn't call you unreasonable if that's the name you like above all others and therefore choose to use it.

Sn0wflake Thu 25-Aug-11 09:02:08

I call everybody be the wrong name even if the names are very different! I get your point though.

ZillionChocolate Thu 25-Aug-11 09:04:47

I would avoid having the same initials.

mummytotwoboys Thu 25-Aug-11 09:04:54

Think about when they are older and there post comes to Mr R Snowflake, will you know who its for? I worry about crap like that smile

Lovely names though so YANBU totally up to you

mummytotwoboys Thu 25-Aug-11 09:05:04

*their

Fuzzywuzzywozabear Thu 25-Aug-11 09:18:46

mummytotwoboys is right. Having the same initial as my sister caused no end of trouble with post

Testarossa2468 Thu 25-Aug-11 09:22:01

I think the names go really well together and they are similar enough to be connected iykwim but not too similar. I may be biased though, my two girls have similar names; start and end with the same letters as each other and sameish sound. I would ingore the issue of to whom post is addressed; a friend of mine has 2 further siblings and all three share an initial and they have never found it an issue xx

Euphemia Thu 25-Aug-11 09:27:17

BIL, SIL and the nephews all have the same first initial. Madness: three males in the house all called Mr J Bloggs, ad everyone in the house called J Bloggs!

I'm sure it seemed cute when they were naming the boys, but now they're teens and receiving proper, serious mail - nightmare!

everlong Thu 25-Aug-11 09:39:21

Both nice names but I think will sound too similar when calling out their names.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 25-Aug-11 09:48:44

I would not be worried about them being too similar (my two also have slightly similar names but I don't see it as a problem, and also Rowan/Robin have different O sounds in so don't sound that alike).

The initials thing could end up being a bit more of a pain though as they get older and start getting more post - in my case I wasn't too bothered as they are DS and DD so it should be easy enough to sort as most letters have "Mr/Master" or "Miss" on, but if you have 2 boys it could be a bit more confusing. Still if you really love those names I would consider going for it anyway, I also share an initial with 2 family members (one same gender) and it was occasionally a minor irritation but really not so bad!

Sn0wflake Thu 25-Aug-11 09:52:09

Hmmm giving me some pause for thought.

Rowena8482 Thu 25-Aug-11 09:54:19

I think it's entirely up to you, but if you're second guessing yourself, I would bet that DS2 ends up being called something else. Of my 5 DCs, only one ended up actually being called the name we chose while s/he was a bump. The others just "didn't look like" the name we'd chosen and a different name just happened :-D

Sn0wflake Thu 25-Aug-11 09:55:30

I think that is 5 against and three for and three somewhere in the middle. Thanks for giving me feedback though.

LRDTheFeministDragon Thu 25-Aug-11 09:55:44

If you love them, go with them! I would say, maybe Robin the one to change/use as a middle name if you do go that way - it's a nickname for Robert in some people's eyes, and quite a popular girls' name from what I've seen (as in Robyn) ... nice, though!

PercyFilth Thu 25-Aug-11 11:38:25

It's up to you. They're not that close. Robin would probably get abbreviated to Robbie or Rob, while Rowan doesn't lend itself to anything similar.

EightiesChick Thu 25-Aug-11 11:40:27

I wouldn't use both. Same initials and too similar in length and sound for me.

SayItLoud Thu 25-Aug-11 11:44:13

Are you having twins? If not, name ds1 and don't worry about ds2 until the time comes!

SayItLoud Thu 25-Aug-11 11:46:15

Ah, just realised you already have ds1, sorry. My opinion is that they are too similar, it sounds like you liked ds1's name so much you've tried to copy it. Also, Rowan is quite a girly name in my mind.

SayItLoud Thu 25-Aug-11 11:47:16

Oh shit, you already have a Rowan - mental note, stay away from baby name threads in future!!!

minipie Thu 25-Aug-11 11:48:39

I absolutely love both names (unfortunately they would not go with our surname sad), but I do think they are too similar.... Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now