Talk

Advanced search

to think it's not normal for a couple to forget anniversary

(55 Posts)
AuntiePickleBottom Wed 24-Aug-11 22:44:37

just looked on the calender to see what time my appoinment is tomorrow and it's just dawned on me that this is the 1st year i have forgotten the day me and DH met.

we normally celebrate it, by both booking the time off work and spending the day together.

NasalCoffeeEnema Wed 24-Aug-11 22:47:24

I have no idea when I met DH, it was on holiday so summer and no idea when we got engaged though it think it might have been july two years later.
Is it really that important?

(I do know our wedding anniversary)

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 24-Aug-11 22:48:59

in the grand sceen of things not really, i never forget dates so this is a 1st for me.

Ragwort Wed 24-Aug-11 22:49:11

Well, I can't remember the exact date DH and I met - we do celebrate our wedding anniversary but certainly not our 'first date' - but we have been together a very long time. It sounds as if it is something you might do when you are teenagers !

We wouldn't book a day off work to celebrate our wedding anniversary either - perhaps a take-away and a couple of bottles of wine ! grin

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Wed 24-Aug-11 22:50:42

We both forgot our (third) wedding anniversary this year until a friend reminded me. No idea when we met, or when we first got together. I think it's less normal to take a day off for it to be honest.

borderslass Wed 24-Aug-11 22:51:07

I can't remember the exact date DH and I got together I just know the rough date, remember the date we got engaged and wedding anniversary though.

snippywoo2 Wed 24-Aug-11 22:51:22

the 'day' you met how old are you 14

squeakytoy Wed 24-Aug-11 22:51:55

We dont really celebrate the day we met. We celebrate our wedding anniversary, and that is fine for us.

greengirl87 Wed 24-Aug-11 22:52:43

i cannot for the life of me remember when me and dp met, and its taken 4 years for me to learn when our anniversary is!

shakey1500 Wed 24-Aug-11 22:53:29

It's only because we met on Good Friday that I would remember the day we met, I imagine.

As it is at the moment the pair of us are so frazzled, it's a struggle to remember my name never mind anything else grin

It wouldn't bother me in the grand scheme. I think it IS normal to forget these things as time goes on.

2tired2bewitty Wed 24-Aug-11 22:53:39

Bunch of flowers arrived via Interflora at my parents house, it wasn't until they read the card that they realised my uncle had remembered their wedding anniversary while they had not. (Disclaimer: their anniversary falls between Christmas and new year, and they've been married aaages)

Fuzzywuzzywozabear Wed 24-Aug-11 22:54:04

We don't even celebrate our anniversary - I know it was 18 this year though!

Bohica Wed 24-Aug-11 22:54:04

We have never celebrated the day we first met, I don't even remember when it was.

We don't celebrate our wedding Anniversary either.

<unrmantic caaaw emotioncon>

2tired2bewitty Wed 24-Aug-11 22:54:43

Parent's <shame>

kendalmintcake Wed 24-Aug-11 22:55:37

my dh when quizzed by my mum, couldn't remember the date we got wed.
I could only remember as it is engraved on a bread board (wedding gift)
It was only 3 years ago
blush

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 24-Aug-11 22:55:48

i must of grown up then smile

i think because we have now got married this year we will have a proper anniversary.

coppertop Wed 24-Aug-11 22:56:10

I think we're doing well if we remember our wedding anniversary 2 days before the event rather than 2 days after.

No idea what day or month we met on. I can only 'remember' the actual year by working out what else I was doing at the time.

woowa Wed 24-Aug-11 22:57:38

YABU smile

And 2tired2bwitty, you actually wanted parents', i'm afraid. You should hang your head!

shakey1500 Wed 24-Aug-11 22:59:26

Ahaa now then I'm lucky that we married in the year 2000. Only have to remember what the current year is to know for how long ;)

It will be really helpful when my already diminishing brain cells are down to single figures.

Jetwash Wed 24-Aug-11 22:59:33

We celebrate (remember) the anniversary of our first date,only because it's the 15th of Feb,the day after valentines day. 30 years later,it really doesn't matter too much. We're still very much in one piece.

cat64 Wed 24-Aug-11 23:00:59

Message withdrawn

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 24-Aug-11 23:02:23

the day we met was our 1st date (blind date)

fivegomadindorset Wed 24-Aug-11 23:03:35

Very normal, I know it was in May sometime.

39widow Wed 24-Aug-11 23:04:27

i only know the day we met cos we married on that day - year later ... altho i do have trouble remembering how long - i have no clue when we got engaged ..... and we dont celebrate really am lucky if my hubby even home at that time of year

mrsfollowill Wed 24-Aug-11 23:06:27

Jetwash- snap! I met DH the 15th Feb too- corny jokes about not having to buy a card etc blush. I always remember (though he doesn't!) 18 years on.. We don't do anything 'special' in particular on that day though but we do always still remember our wedding anniversary and celebrate in style!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now