Talk

Advanced search

to think the MN search engine is really clumsy?

(8 Posts)
TartyMcFarty Wed 24-Aug-11 19:54:16

I can never find what I'm after, it seems to spew up random threads from years ago. This time I'm after the Sainsbury's Basics thread in chat, which started off as a thread about their chocolate. Can I bloody well find it? No, but I found out that one poster thinks Waitrose is an obscene rip off, another who's incensed at the price of Heinz baked beans and yet another who considers Asda's girls clotes to be slutty. And the thread about Sainsbo's basics? Nowhere to be seen confused

supadupapupascupa Wed 24-Aug-11 19:55:46

i would like the results to be sorted by relevance and then date. fed up o having to trawl through pages.......

LetThereBeRock Wed 24-Aug-11 19:57:50

This thread.?

If so I found it easily enough,just entered Sainsbury's basics as the search term,then selected to search only in chat,it came up with 46 threads and that was one of them.

ImperialBlether Wed 24-Aug-11 19:58:25

I'd like it if you could right click on a username and see "Threads I've started."

hocuspontas Wed 24-Aug-11 20:02:35

I'd like the advanced search to still be there if you need return to the search page. E.g. if you search for something thinking it was within the last month and it doesn't come up with anything, you can't go back to the search page and retry different dates without having to type in the whole search again. (Or is it just me?)

Hassled Wed 24-Aug-11 20:06:48

I think it's fine. I wanted a rant about Hollister earlier, wondered if someone else had been ranting before me, found a thread within moments.

LineRunner Wed 24-Aug-11 20:07:21

Go to Google. It does MN well!

Search is good for individual posters, though. Eg I find it interesting that I searched the poster from a current dramatic emotionally involved AIBU thread in order to be up-to-date on their posts. What I thought was their first thread, wasn't.

TartyMcFarty Wed 24-Aug-11 20:18:23

That's it, thanks LTBR. Good tip LineRunner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now