Talk

Advanced search

To be irritated by people who say they can't lose weight?

(376 Posts)
BeerSnake Wed 24-Aug-11 17:00:55

umm just eat less and get out more. Or am I being unreasonable?

knobbysEx Wed 24-Aug-11 17:02:49

YABU. Walk a mile in their shoes before judging.

GilbonzoTheSecretPsych0Duck Wed 24-Aug-11 17:03:22

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

PebblesAndWine Wed 24-Aug-11 17:03:39

Yan technically bu. Not sure why you care though. When I was 19 and overweight I used to try and starve myself and then would give up and binge

I simply didn't know hoe the Hell to do it. Some people don't. That was pre internet though....

Claw3 Wed 24-Aug-11 17:05:19

Are you for real? Surely if it was just that simple, no one would be overweight.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Wed 24-Aug-11 17:05:25

shock The diet industry will go bankrupt overnight!

How did you come by this great break through? You have singlehandedly put an end to the obesity epidemic!

You need to contact the NHs immediately and report your findings. I suspect there could be a Nobel waiting for you [awe]

PebblesAndWine Wed 24-Aug-11 17:05:39

How the Hell to do it rather.

Have you been overweight and lost it? Or are you like my friend who insists on advising me despite always having been a size eight?

Either way, being smug is very unattractive.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Wed 24-Aug-11 17:06:13

Wow you're a genius!

jellybeans208 Wed 24-Aug-11 17:06:48

I am the other end of the scale and find it very hard to put on weight. I tried very hard a few years ago and went from 6 stone 11 to 7 stone 5, which I am happy at. It was a consious effort though and had most people say oh its so easy to put on weight etc etc but if you have a fast metabolism then it isnt.

I think the same goes for if you are larger you can have a slow metabolism. Additionally the bigger you are the harder it is to move fast and get in to exercise, so you need to lose some weight first by eating less food but that is a struggle as you are trying to break engrained habits etc.

eurochick Wed 24-Aug-11 17:06:50

Yes and no. If you create a calorie deficit by eating less, moving more or some combination of the two you will lose weight. So (a few medical conditions aside) it's simply not true that people "can't lose weight".

But change is hard and food tastes nice so it is difficult to lose weight, which is what most people who say they "can't" lose weight really mean. We are just not accustomed to doing things that are difficult or experiencing deprivation (in this case calorie deprivation) in our comfortable 21st century lives.

YoungishBag Wed 24-Aug-11 17:06:51

Are you also irritated with those who suffer from depression or addiction?

Perhaps you could try developing your capacity for empathy instead of being judgemental? It might make you feel more caring and understanding towards others.

Insomnia11 Wed 24-Aug-11 17:06:54

It must be so easy which is quite so many people are fat ON PURPOSE. angry

caughtinanet Wed 24-Aug-11 17:07:02

I don't think that people don't know what to do but that's a very different thing to being able to do it. YANBU to be irritated by it but can't you see that its just not always that easy.

I have no particular axe to grind here, I'm not trying to lose any weight but there are some people who just aren't able to do it. Of course there are some who just lazy and have no will power as well.

LadyFlumpalot Wed 24-Aug-11 17:07:15

And speaking of controversial threads...

dickiedavisthunderthighs Wed 24-Aug-11 17:08:54

Farking hell, the threads this week:

People who have cats are stupid
People who have dogs are murderers-by-proxy
Someone shouted at by PFB in a supermarket
and now
Fat people are stupid

I do believe it's the week before last all over again

FranSanDisco Wed 24-Aug-11 17:10:11

Eating less and exercising more seems like such a simple suggestion but it doesn't seem to work for some apparently. One guy I worked with was very overweight and decided to skip lunch and have a snack instead. His snack was a family size bag of crisps and a litre of pepsi. Needless to say he didn't lose much.

hocuspontas Wed 24-Aug-11 17:10:22

That's amazing! I never thought of that. Sounds easy.

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Wed 24-Aug-11 17:10:34

Have you ever suffered with an underactive thyroid? or been on steroids?

JOG ON OP! (see what I did there?!)

usualsuspect Wed 24-Aug-11 17:10:56

OP. do one

sjuperwolef Wed 24-Aug-11 17:12:54

my sister is very overweight, has been for as long as i remember, she doesnt eat junk food, she never sits on her arse and cooks from scratch most of the time. doesnt stop her being over weight.

yabu.

thefirstMrsDeVere Wed 24-Aug-11 17:14:04

Have you sent a letter to the BMJ yet?

Lancent?

Journal of the Buttock Clenchingly Simplistic?

northernruth Wed 24-Aug-11 17:15:39

YANBU. There's a difference between people who have food addictions or who struggle with their weight (for various reasons) and people who whinge that they can't lose weight when really they are being dishonest with themselves.

I get "well it's alright for you" from people I meet who think I am naturally thin, er well I don't eat very much and I run 15 miles a week. I work hard to stay thin because it's important to me (not anorexic btw, I am a healthy size 12)

I do completely understand how hard it is to break unhealthy eating habits so am not judging - besides not everyone wants to be thin.

So it is unreasonable to be irritated by fat people, but the original question was "people who say they can't lose weight".

hmc Wed 24-Aug-11 17:18:33

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

northernruth Wed 24-Aug-11 17:21:30

I do have empathy for others. I'm not talking about people who are overweight in general but there is a certain type of person who will say "oh I eat like a bird" when they are just kidding themselves.

Accept it's a complicated area tho and tied up with a lot of other issues for most of us

I don't have fabulous willpower at all, far from it

hmc Wed 24-Aug-11 17:22:42

Sorry - my comments were addressed to the OP northernruth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now