Talk

Advanced search

Why do I keep seeing people lying on the floor?

(23 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 24-Aug-11 13:57:41

Honestly?
The other day I was driving my car and I could see a man lying down on the middle of the island, he looked like he had passed out. I couldn't stop and see if he was okay, so I rang the local police station and they checked it out (and later rang me back to say he was a drunk, and "having a rest"). I have been laughed at for being concerned about the man.
Yesterday I was driving again, picking my DD up, and as I was driving down the main road to come home, there was a teenager (maybe, looked like early teens) lying on the street corner, with one of those little scooters near him. I immediately thought that he had fallen off and hurt himself, only to notice an odd pose and his friends taking photographs of him. Saw in my rearview mirror the boy lying on the floor get up and laugh. I can only assume he was planking?
Do other people keep seeing people just lying in the street? Or is it just in my area?!

PercyFilth Wed 24-Aug-11 13:59:05

Was there Capri Sun on sale nearby?

Mitmoo Wed 24-Aug-11 13:59:34

No its just you. Do you live in Sleepy Town?

FlamingFanjo Wed 24-Aug-11 13:59:59

That's called 'planking' and is the latest "craze" that's taken the nation. What Divs!

LadyFlumpalot Wed 24-Aug-11 14:03:11

grin PercyFilth

It's planking...it's strange and bizarre and strangely compelling/fun

The lads were cheating though, it shouldn't be posed like that.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 24-Aug-11 14:06:30

No capri sun as far as I am aware (and I strongly feel like I am missing the joke) grin
I have visions of seeing a chain of sleeping people on the pavement today.

maybells Wed 24-Aug-11 14:08:45

i have also seen a few people recently laying down in public places, i did see one on a grass verge in st James park in London in the middle of the day having a kip. then last night saw an old man laying on the floor surrounded by a puddle and a can of special brew.
i guessed the guy in the park probably thought it was safer to sleep in the day in front of everyone rather than try and sleep at night when he could get into harm.

EricNorthmansMistressOfPotions Wed 24-Aug-11 14:20:33

WTF is planking???

Yep, planking.

The latest trend for some reason.

Glitterknickaz Wed 24-Aug-11 14:23:26

I did a pink plank at the end of Race for Life.

Andrewofgg Wed 24-Aug-11 14:45:48

They were standing up and you were lying down smile

LadyFlumpalot Wed 24-Aug-11 14:47:13

Planking

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 24-Aug-11 14:55:46

But what is the capri sun connection?

OTheHugeRaveningWolef Wed 24-Aug-11 15:05:30

Planking. You get your friends to take a photo of you lying down in unlikely places, and upload it to tinternet.

It is a pointless web thing unlike MN which is of vital importance grin

babyicebean Wed 24-Aug-11 15:49:41

now they seem to be doing some weird thing to do with looking like their head has parted compny with the body - think its called horsemanning!

AnyFucker Wed 24-Aug-11 15:52:32

there is also "owling" where one person planks and another crouches on the small of their back

AuntieMonica Wed 24-Aug-11 15:57:23

or 'chairing' which is people sitting on chairs (no shit, sherlock) in unusual places

noyouhavehadawee Wed 24-Aug-11 15:58:14

horsemaning looks more fun - im about to do one now and send it to dh at work grin

YABACC Wed 24-Aug-11 16:01:55

And people say that the summer holidays are boring!

I am going to try all of these tomorrow. With pictures.

As well as drying the DC with a hair-drier.

LadyFlumpalot Wed 24-Aug-11 16:03:34

Capi-sun connection

noyouhavehadawee Wed 24-Aug-11 16:03:59

i know! i think i have just found out what im going to do for the next 2 weeks grin - oh the fun i could have at work too! Whats this hair-dryer dc thing or is it literally your going to use the hairdryer on the dc? confused

belgo Wed 24-Aug-11 16:05:21

I've seen planking here in Belgium, on the balconies of famous buildings. Looks dangerous.

LynetteScavo Wed 24-Aug-11 16:13:01

grin at planking. Sounds fabulous. Can't believe I haven't heard of this before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now