Talk

Advanced search

to wonder which century Ryanair thinks it is?

(25 Posts)
Euphemia Wed 24-Aug-11 10:59:58

Ad in the Guardian today for flights to Bavaria:

SEE THE FRÄULEINS
WITH THE BIG JUGS!

Above a photo of a woman in traditional Bavarian costume, holding a huge glass of beer.

hmm

Is this Ryanair's attempt at post-modernist humour?

Filibear Wed 24-Aug-11 11:01:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 24-Aug-11 11:05:42

That's budget airlines for you....pandering to the perceived wit of its customers. Lufthansa would never be so crass. grin

eaglewings Wed 24-Aug-11 11:05:49

Nothing can be worse than their "we have arrived on time" fanfare they play when you land, even if you have been delayed at take off and they have recalculated their arrival time!

SinicalSal Wed 24-Aug-11 11:07:03

bloody O'Leary neolib wanker.

Pakdooik Wed 24-Aug-11 11:31:41

Come the revolution they will be the first against the wall, even before Bruce Forsyth!

wherearemysocka Wed 24-Aug-11 11:39:15

I like the way they make a big deal about being so good at not losing luggage - ummm....that's because no-one checks in bags with you due to your ridiculous extra charges....

gaaagh Wed 24-Aug-11 11:40:17

cringeworthy

SinicalSal Wed 24-Aug-11 11:41:36

Ryanair announced yesterday they are dropping the Dublin - Kerry route, ranting and stamping all over the airwaves that it's the governments 3 euro travel tax that has forced them out. Then quietly sullenly under their breaths mutter something about the new motorway that has made road travel times comparable with air travel times. And not even a whisper about about their own surcharges, and baggage charges, and T&C's and general all round cattle to abbatoir inspired transport model. ffs.

mayorquimby Wed 24-Aug-11 11:52:55

bloody love them

Katiepoes Wed 24-Aug-11 12:01:29

It's everywhere - 2011 seems to be the year of stupid sexist promotions. Two examples from today - the radio station I had on in the car this morning has a daily competition with a prize that changes weekly. Caller is a 29 year old woman - first she gets asked is she' hot' and instead of telling the DJ to feck off she giggles and simpers, then is 'delighted' with her 'prize' of a year's subscription to FHM and an 'intimate' photo shoot. Apparantly her boyfriend will be delighted.

Second one - the nationwide spare rib delivery place has a competiton where you can win a professional chef to cater a barbecue in your garden, nice you think? Well yes apart from the fact that you also win the 'Bavaria Babes' - a team of busty toothy scantily clad OompaLoompas that come along to 'liven up the party'.

Radio has been changed and the (sadly rather nice) rib palce has been emailed to say I'll not be a customer anymore.

summertimeblews Wed 24-Aug-11 13:00:47

the nationwide spare rib delivery place

im deprived, i have never heard of the nationwide spare rib delivery place

berryfreeze Wed 24-Aug-11 13:05:13

what i would like to know, has anybody ever bought one of those lottery tickets, call card and smokeless cigarettes that they try to sell on each flight, just flew back with them on mon and to be honest was ok, though was a short flight

wicketkeeper Wed 24-Aug-11 13:33:20

I used to use them all the time - cheaper and quicker for me to fly to London than drive to Dublin. Don't think of them as an airline, think of them as a bus-service. It all makes sense then. I love Michael O'Leary - he says it like it is, he's out to make money and makes no apology for it, and if any Irish business survives the current crisis, it'll be Ryanair.

But no, I've never bought their lottery tickets, call cards, or smokeless cigarettes. I did once buy a cup of tea and a sandwich, but that was a rookie mistake.

mummytotwoboys Wed 24-Aug-11 13:36:21

Thats brilliant! YABU, why dont you find it funny? Its a joke, lighten up!

JosieRosie Wed 24-Aug-11 13:43:30

YANBU OP. Not in the least. He and his rotten airline turn my stomach. Seems he gives even less of a fig about his female customers than his male customers.

gaaagh Wed 24-Aug-11 13:43:43

Yes, mummytotwoboys, it's as trivial as that, isn't it?

hmm

"Lighten up." translates as "I can't comprehend a problem with it, I haven't really thought through the reasons proposed as to why someone else might have a problem with it, therefore there's no problem with it."

Some folk said the same about sexual harassment in the workplace. Cos, you know, some women just needed to "lighten up".

HardCheese Wed 24-Aug-11 13:51:40

Right on, Gaaagh. OP, YANBU in the least. Ryanair thinks it's somewhere in the mid 1700s, and Michael O'Leary is a disgusting little weasel whose contempt for women is only equally by his contempt for Ryanair customers of either sex.

JosieRosie Wed 24-Aug-11 14:28:14

grin at gaaagh. 'Lighten up' makes me furious - it's such a nasty sneering comment. I think it's on a par with 'eff off' in terms of rudeness!

ChippingIn Wed 24-Aug-11 14:34:11

"Lighten up." translates as "I can't comprehend a problem with it, I haven't really thought through the reasons proposed as to why someone else might have a problem with it, therefore there's no problem with it."

Gahh - No, lighten up, simply means 'lighten up'. I'm quite able to comprehend that you have a problem with it and what that problem is. I just don't happen to agree that it's a problem.

I think it's mildly amusing - enough to raise a smile but not a laugh. You don't have to agree, but there's no need to be rude or patronising.

SinicalSal Wed 24-Aug-11 14:43:16

I think telling someone to 'lighten up' is patronising in itself, tbh chipping.

It's always used to defend the status quo, I notice.

gaaagh Wed 24-Aug-11 14:49:19

SinicalSal - quite.

ChippingIn Wed 24-Aug-11 15:14:24

I wouldn't say 'lighten up' myself. I would say that I don't have a problem with it. What I object to is people like Gah telling everyone what they should think and that if they don't they are thick.

gaaagh Wed 24-Aug-11 15:17:33

Not at all, ChippingIn.

I object to words like "lighten up" when they're used to mean people shouldn't have a problem with it. And by inference that anyone who does have a problem with it isn't quite normal, is blowing things out of proportion, or e.g. without a sense of humour.

People are free to disagree with the OP; but IMHO it's not right to give a wave of the hand and suggest that because they don't get it (or they do, they just disagree) then the complaint is therefore trivial and without merit.

That is rude.

CestTout Wed 24-Aug-11 15:20:49

Another Ryanair marketing ploy. I don't like O'Leary as a person however I also could not fly to Ireland every six weeks and visit the children I nannied for if it wasn't for Ryanair.

Agree completely that you look at it as a bus service. I carry hand luggage (even for a week), I book using a prepaid mastercard and I book at sales times or more than 6 weeks in advance. This way I have never paid more than £35 return for a London-Dublin flight. I can't even get into London for that price. You do have to look at Ryanair in a different way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now