Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To replace the school pet?

(43 Posts)
Sofabitch Wed 24-Aug-11 09:10:05

I think dd has killed the African land snail she has for summer ! She left some food into go mouldy which has been less than a week but inthink it must be the warm moist conditions. and the snail looks mouldy. (White fluff) I've had a google and it doesn't look good sad so should I replace it. Or just hope for the best.

Deflatedballoonbelly Wed 24-Aug-11 09:10:57

Oh! I would.
Poor snail!

Illegitimate Wed 24-Aug-11 09:12:59

I killed off Alan the goldfish a few years ago, i replaced him and got away with the switch.
R.I.P Alan

JemimaMuddledUp Wed 24-Aug-11 09:13:21

Oh no, what a nightmare! <looks anxiously at the school guinea pigs in my kitchen>

When do they go back to school? Maybe wait a little to see if it does recover. Can you get hold of another one easily?

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 24-Aug-11 09:19:31

AIBU and heartless to titter at the vision of a mouldy land snail?
DD desperately wanted a pet when we lived in Switzerland, she had some stick insects but yearned for land snails.
Luckily I couldn't source them so we collected some common snails. She was happy with the compromise.
Could you do the same but say he's been on a diet?

Sofabitch Wed 24-Aug-11 09:22:13

We've got 2 weeks till they go back ! I don't really want to keep Gary if I've replaced him and he doesn't go. But I don't want him to hang on until they go back to school and the whole
Class be devastated. ?

I hate school pets. Why did I agree to this in the first place ?

Sofabitch Wed 24-Aug-11 09:22:51

Lmao at snail on a diet. I think they would notice.

hopenglory Wed 24-Aug-11 09:23:21

take the snail out, give it a gentle wash under the tap - warm not hot water, you don't want to cook it if it's not dead - and then put it back in a clean tank with some fresh compost and some fresh cucumber.

They are very hard to kill and have a tendency to hibernate quite frequently! Also, if they do die then they stink!

clam Wed 24-Aug-11 09:24:20

I inherited a hamster last academic year from the previous teacher who said the class could have one a couple of weeks before the end of the summer term! Thanks for that. The blasted thing nipped like buggery, so most of the kids wouldn't go anywhere near it and it was a thundering nuisance all year. Had a few parents express mild concern about having it for the weekend in case it died on them, but as I was secretly hoping it wouldn't be with us 'til old age anyway, I was able to tell them not to worry about it, but please not to think about replacing it!!

Sofabitch Wed 24-Aug-11 09:27:05

I can wash the snail ? I've washed the tank. I'll try and wash the snail. Are you sure I won't drown it?

LadyThumb Wed 24-Aug-11 09:35:28

I don't think you should actually immerse it. Just try and wipe the mould off with a damp tissue. Failing that, phone your local vet.

Melly20MummyToPoppy Wed 24-Aug-11 09:49:27

You won't drown it i shouldn't think, after all, they like rain don't they?!

hopenglory Wed 24-Aug-11 09:50:49

I've always washed ours under a running tap - but no, don't actually stick it right in a bowl of water and adopt a sink or swim approach

smoggii Wed 24-Aug-11 09:53:44

Be careful, I thought my African Land snail had died and got rid sad when i was in my late teens, I then found out it had probably hibernated. I still feel awful about it. Give him a wash, make sure he's in a warm area and put in some fresh food. If he still doesn't come out get a new one.

Zippylovesgeorge Wed 24-Aug-11 09:54:40

We used to have land snails in the class I worked in. Fill a shallow dish with about 1/2 an inch of warm water and let him have a 'paddle' in their. If you are feeling even braver - give him a wash. Can use an old toothbrush on his shell but vomit smilie you can use you fingers to clean his underneath more vomit just thinking about it

They are very hard to kill - even if their tank remains unheated during a subzero snap wink

Melly20MummyToPoppy Wed 24-Aug-11 10:08:20

Snails sound fun. I want a pet snail!

*Disclaimer, i won't actually get one, same as i won't get a pet duck, tortoise or snake. sad

Tanith Wed 24-Aug-11 10:23:20

It was guinea pigs I got landed with one year.
I asked DS what they were called and his reply was:

"I don't know. I can't stand them!"

Snails sound much easier. I could live with snails.

I bet a significant number of class pets are quietly replaced during the holidays. Have you thought that Gary might not actually still be Gary? He could be Gary VI by now smile

Better than gerbils - I've heard of several that have significantly multiplied during those sultry summer evenings!

I used to keep Giant African snails and they used to love a rinse under the tap..(tepid not hot!) they would stretch out of their shells and look all excited (well as excited as a snail CAN look grin)

Rinse him , give his tank a clean out..fresh everything and fresh food and don't panic. They are quite hardy! If you can bear to you could leave his tank open and give him a bit of free time!

* I once forgot to put the lid back on our tank after having left it open all evening. Came down in the morning and there were two giant snails 6 feet up the living room wall.....grin

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 24-Aug-11 11:39:11

The "white fluff" sounds likes its in hibernation. Try gentling breaking the fluff and wiping it off, then pop the snail under warm water on the shell part. They love a bath so they will come out under warm water.

MrsRobertDuvall Wed 24-Aug-11 11:46:09

My brother once looked after the school locusts...about 14 of them, and they all started eating each other.
We were left with about 3.

pozzled Wed 24-Aug-11 11:47:59

Well, hopefully it will be alright, but if not don't replace it until you have spoken to the class teacher. They may not want it replaced! I once inherited a class with a pet and it was such a hassle, I would never have bought a pet myself. Yes, I know it's an important learning experience and all that but there will come a time when the class have learned all they are going to.

Melly20MummyToPoppy Wed 24-Aug-11 16:06:44

When i was at school we only ever attempted 1 class pet, it was a hamster. And the first person who took it home for the holidays left the school and didn't return after the hols. Twinkle the hamster was never seen again. . . . .

lazylula Wed 24-Aug-11 19:05:36

Glad I am not the only one to be landed with african land snails for the hols, we are looking after 2 for ds1's class! The children in ds1's class use small paint brushes to put water on the shells of the snails but tomorro I am going to give them a go under the tap!

stoatie Wed 24-Aug-11 19:23:07

Fred - our African land snail - loves a shower in warm water - he comes out of his shell and waves his feelers about (I say "he" am aware that they are hermaphrodites so Fred covers all bases!). He seems to thrive on neglect (have been known to forget to feed him on occasion) and many a time I have thought he has carked it but is only hibernating.

Lovely pets - in fact must go and feed him now

Sofabitch Wed 24-Aug-11 21:04:42

Thanks. I have tried washing it. And it seemed to like it lol. So fingers crossed it will be ok. I have also moved it out of dd's room so I can keep a better eye on it. I'm glad my school isn't the only weird one with odd pets lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now