Talk

Advanced search

to consider that most threads on MN can be answered by the OP googling something, or just thinking it out for themselves?

(135 Posts)
Pan Tue 23-Aug-11 23:29:07

It's not too much to suggest, is it? Instead of mithering all of cyberspace..just a thought.

FabbyChic Tue 23-Aug-11 23:29:35

Some of the questions do border on the ridiculous and are just pure lazyness.

rhondajean Tue 23-Aug-11 23:29:56

Yes lets ban conversation completely, bloody waste of other peoples time.

blackeyedsusan Tue 23-Aug-11 23:30:48

and your reason for mithering cyberspace is?

StealthPolarBear Tue 23-Aug-11 23:31:00

but sometimes I they don't want to know "the answer", they want to know MNers take on the answer. Such as "Recipe including salmon and courgette please". Sometimes I people just fancy a discussion.

Sandalwood Tue 23-Aug-11 23:31:18

That 'let me google that for you' is good.

SinicalSal Tue 23-Aug-11 23:31:26

yes, and inane chit chat at bus stops, in the office, over garden fences....ban the lot

Pan Tue 23-Aug-11 23:31:56

blackeye - to reduce the mither - it's strategic, don't you know!

Rowena8482 Tue 23-Aug-11 23:32:03

chants is snarky voice "Google is your friend"
but the actual communicating with someone, anyone, and knowing someone else, even if just for one minute, is helping you, or considering your issue, can be - not exactly comforting, but nice - "yes, there IS someone out there" smile

StealthPolarBear Tue 23-Aug-11 23:32:51

Well I'd love to hang around and chat, but you know how it is, places to go, people to see. Bye smile

Pan Tue 23-Aug-11 23:36:22

Hmmm.. so the there is no truth in the internetty thing reducing people's ability to problem-solve for themselves?...

SinicalSal Tue 23-Aug-11 23:38:28

The internet didn't invent communication. We've always sent out feelers for other peoples' expertise rather than simply opening an encyclopedia.

StealthPolarBear Tue 23-Aug-11 23:39:31

"Pan Tue 23-Aug-11 23:36:22
Hmmm.. so the there is no truth in the internetty thing reducing people's ability to problem-solve for themselves?..."

dunno. Why not google it? wink

rhondajean Tue 23-Aug-11 23:40:55

Go solve it yourself Pan, stop mithering at us.

AgentZigzag Tue 23-Aug-11 23:42:40

Most people aren't on here to solve the problems they have, they're on here for contact with other people.

Pan Tue 23-Aug-11 23:50:10

Not being controversial here!

There's abig sort of difference between getting advice/problem-solving from people you know in RL ( because they are more accountable in that you see them most days) as adversed to people you will never meet who can hand out 'advice' with nothing like the same accountability.

of course I don't mean to deride 'contacts' and social exchanges, BUT has the internetty thing provided a sort of short-cut to not thinking for oneself?

Sandalwood Wed 24-Aug-11 00:02:41

I can sometimes get sucked in too. There'll be a 'help. What's this song' thread - and I'll bloody google it for them.

DuelingFanjo Wed 24-Aug-11 00:07:51

Oh dear, I am worried now that my thread about clutter has inspired this. I was going to start one about my inability to click with people on a social level and how I can get back to being the confident outgoing person I used to be but I wonder if my time on the internet has turned me into this and that the solution might be to log off instead.

Fatshionista Wed 24-Aug-11 00:09:59

Yanbu. Some things can be solved by google and it is laziness but others want opinions so you are also bu.

Honeydragon Wed 24-Aug-11 00:11:00

Well yes

And also

No.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Wed 24-Aug-11 00:11:06

That isn't the point. The point is asking opinions and seeking advice and a lot of times seeking reassurance and help.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Wed 24-Aug-11 00:12:16

Although you could always refer to FabbyChic for advice and in which case you would cook an abusive man his tea and pander to him and then all would be well in the world.

Pan Wed 24-Aug-11 00:13:45

oh sure Sandalwood, And I do them too.

It;s more the "Travel:will Spain be hot in June?". If you're not sure, look it up.

or "Is Tarquin a too poncey name?" If you're not sure...grin

or "MN jury" requests...

The internetty thing is really great, but are we becoming illiterate in a few ways in it's use, and is MN giving succour to that? Seeking info, yes, but not getting lazy about problem-solving/opinion-forming?

Pan Wed 24-Aug-11 00:16:17

yes, it's a Yes...and No!

Pondering, as a few people have on the 'disabling' effect of having "an answer"at your finger tips.

Pan Wed 24-Aug-11 00:17:13

Duelling - nothing to do with you at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now